Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Cleopatra Bath in Milk?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Neezy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Neezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Cleopatra Bath in Milk?
    Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 01:02
Please can the history buffs provide a credible answer to this one.

No one seems to know for sure if this is true, or just an urban legend. 
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 01:46

I heard that it was donkey milk
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 07:35
no real confirmation. allegedly 700 asses to be precise daily. but even then the sources vary. milk contains lactic acid.....alpha-hydroxy acid
which is used in the cosmetic industry and has a long history (centuries) of use in promoting smooth skin etc. butterfat in it adds a degree of moisturizing.

Liz the 1st also allegedly did it.

personally... she probably used it as an ingredient in her cosmetics more so than bathing it. but she was a wack so who knows.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Neezy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Neezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 09:19
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. 
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 11:02
i hope she did bath!Wink
nickherc View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nickherc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 14:48
Was she beautiful? I heard that she was and that she wasn't and it's a myth, more or less. I guess she was for Roman standards :D. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2014 at 15:11
They must have had a very different perception of hygiene and body odor.  Milk in the Egyptian sun?

TongueTongueWacko
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2014 at 20:31
I'm inclined to think that milk was used as a cosmetic agent in the ancient Mediterranean, as is was reported by Pliny the Elder that Popaea Sabina, Emperor's Nero second wife, did the same. In any case, milk was used a lot as medicine, and Pliny The Elder reports more than 50 uses on milk, cows's, donkeys's a ewes' alike, /Natural History, 28:33 http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0137%3Abook%3D28%3Achapter%3D33/.

Pliny also has a whole chapter on medicinal uses of mother's milk /Ibid., 28:21/, and donkey's milk is closest to the content of human milk than all other milks. From here to use as a cosmetic agent the distance is very short, and I would assume that is was quite possible that it was used as such.

Now, really, unpasteurized milk in hot Egyptian temperatures...sounds gross, but who knows...maybe she used it only during cooler days :).

Edited by Don Quixote - 09-Dec-2014 at 20:32
Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2014 at 16:49
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

no real confirmation. allegedly 700 asses to be precise daily. but even then the sources vary. milk contains lactic acid.....alpha-hydroxy acid
which is used in the cosmetic industry and has a long history (centuries) of use in promoting smooth skin etc. butterfat in it adds a degree of moisturizing.

Liz the 1st also allegedly did it.

personally... she probably used it as an ingredient in her cosmetics more so than bathing it. but she was a wack so who knows.

Queen Elizabeth I, the lady who made Britain a great country, made it rich & defeated the Great Spanish Armada a wack? What the hell man? Angry
My website
My history website
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language." - Robert E. Lee
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2014 at 17:56
not Lizzy...Cleo. my initial reference-comment was poorly addressed subsequently in identification.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Stefany View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stefany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

not Lizzy...Cleo. my initial reference-comment was poorly addressed subsequently in identification.

Oh, sorry.

Totally agree regarding Cleo.
My website
My history website
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language." - Robert E. Lee
 Post Reply Post Reply