Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dublin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oaks
    Posted: 03-Nov-2014 at 15:10
Have you ever wandered why oak trees and oak groves were considered sacred in the past? Maybe the reason is that oaks are one of the most useful trees in the world. 

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/10/oaks.html
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2014 at 17:44
''Maybe the reason is that oaks are one of the most useful trees in the world.''

So is virtually any 'hardwood'.

But squirrels seem to like them...so I'm in.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2014 at 00:06
Nice Topic
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/tr/1/12/1974-1976_5_kurus_on.jpg
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
dublin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2014 at 15:59
One of the main reason why trees were made sacred was because they were useful. The oaks were not the only useful trees which became holy trees. One thing that I noticed while I was researching the holy trees in Slavic and Celtic tradition was that all the holy trees fell into the category of extremely useful trees. I noticed that all holy trees of old either had edible fruit or nuts (oak, hazelnut, apple, pear) or were good for making tools and particularly fire making equipment (alder, elder) or for making weapons like spears (ash), or for making boats (oak, linden-lime) or for making cordage (heather, birch, willow, hazel, beech, yew, pine, spruce, linden-lime). Basically making them holy ensured that they are spared and preserved during the slash and burn land clearing practices.

Now have a look at the Celtic holy trees: 

1.1 Oak
1.2 Ash
1.3 Apple
1.4 Hazel
1.5 Alder
1.6 Elder
1.7 Yew

In my last post I talked about Oaks and how useful they were and are to people. The last thing that I said in my last post is that acorns had been eaten by humans since at least late Paleolithic times right up to modern times, and that I would write about acorns and acorn eaters in my next few posts. In this post I write about archaeological evidence we have for human consumption of acorns during the Paleolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Copper age, Bronze age and Iron age. I hope you find the data presented in this post as eye opening as I did find it, and that you will start seeing acorns in a completely different light from now on.  

You can read more here

It is very interesting that I could not find any data for acorns being found on the sites of the Yamna culture and Cucuteni Trypillian cultre. Why? Did I just miss the available data or were these two cultures different from the rest of the Old European cultures? Is it because these two cultures were the true Steppe cultures as opposed to all the other European cultures which were forest cultures? 

I also could not find any data for acorns being found on the sites in Britain and Ireland. Again did I just miss the available data or are Britain and Ireland in some way different from the rest of Europe? 

I would greatly appreciate any help in answering these two questions.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2014 at 17:16
Originally posted by dublin

Have you ever wandered why oak trees and oak groves were considered sacred in the past? Maybe the reason is that oaks are one of the most useful trees in the world. 

You can read more here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.ie/2014/10/oaks.html

Oak trees live for centuries.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2016 at 09:36
It's interesting to note that Oaks are not native to "Oak Island" and no Oak trees now survive there.

The legend is that Oaks were planted there, by whoever it was that built the money pit. Supposedly to distinguish it from the dozens of other Islands in that region.

Acorns and other nuts were an important part of the Native American diet.
Nutting stones are a commonly found artifact.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply