Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ojkanje - old wolf singing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dublin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ojkanje - old wolf singing
    Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 10:08
In the mountains of the Balkans we find a peculiar type of "old style" singing which can only be compared with the howling of wolfs. The singing can be solo or group singing. If it is done in a group it has the same polyphonic characteristics as the howling of a wolf pack. In Serbian it is called "ojkanje". The center of this musical tradition seems to be in the area of the Dinaric alps and in the Balkan mountains. 

We can find similar type of old style singing in Sardinia, Ireland and Estonia and Georgia. But the singing seems to become less animal and more human like, the further away you go from the Balkans. 

How old is this type of singing? Is this maybe the oldest, the most primitive type of singing preserved today in Evroasia?

You can read more here:

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 11:03
Very interesting and a good link.

But that same style of 'singing', perhaps not entirely synonymous, but reasonably close, was also found in the Comanche and Cheyenne nations.

In general, American Indian 'death songs' were also similar.

When your out on the high and lonely lonesome... be it no doubt Serbia's Balkan Mtns or the Llano...there is a 'closeness' that can be found and felt with your environment.

Fascinatingly enough...there, at least it's been my experience in such places, that one is not inclined to be around or near fellow humans. And if you are, it's usually in very small groups (1-3). But rather is more comfortable with the creatures who reside there.

Nor have I found an overwhelming desire to be in conflict with them or them with me. Rather there remains a mutual respect and distance maintained that allows for both to avoid confrontation.

Perhaps...that's what your Balkan singers are emulating.

Keep up your good works in bringing us cultural awareness.

CV

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

dublin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote dublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2014 at 12:39
Centrix, I am not surprised to find this type of singing in America. We also have Tuva singing in siberia. I would expect to find it everywhere where we find gray wolves....What is interesting is that in Evroasia, it was only preserved in its primitive form in the Balkans. Balkan people for some reason are extremely culturally conservative. They stubbornly stick to the old when everyone around them embraces the new. This is why these cultures are a treasure trove for ethnographers and linguists. 
 Post Reply Post Reply