Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Swordsmanship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Swordsmanship
    Posted: 17-May-2005 at 21:08
I have been taking lessons in the use of the German longsword for several months now.  I have found this very interesting, and I was curious if anyone else here has done any historical swordsmanship.  I would like to hear from anyone who has.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 08:12

I no nothing about any form of swordsmanship. And if I did, I'd just get myself killed.

Have you visited the Arma site? They have some interesting stuff on the subject. 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 05:12
I have quite a few fencing and Kendo awards and medals in a sports sense (from AFA,FA,and BKA england) had some training with Spanish rapiers and double handed longswords.. actually part of my family are famous blacksmiths from the ottoman era having various yatagan and turkish sword fighting techniques exchanged skills so to speak with a friends of similar interest.. (Spanish and German medieval sword techniques) there were'nt any schools or anything.. but proven usefull as I am doing animations now in the computer on them.. remembering the movements help a lot rather than looking up in books
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 18:32
That sounds really cool. I have done some rapier as well (Italian).
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 02:59

I've got some very VERY basic training with a katana, but since I believe that japanese swordsman ship is inferior to european (more often than not, being based on moves and tactics, rather than experience), I don't believe myself to be that great of a warrior .

Anything swordfighting tactic that uses a shield gets my vote.

John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 05:47
Im an archer, but i have my own sword, its got a 32 inch blade and is 41 overall, are you studing Toll Hoffer?
My peoples tale is written in blood
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:08
Originally posted by EvilNed

I've got some very VERY basic training with a katana, but since I believe that japanese swordsman ship is inferior to european (more often than not, being based on moves and tactics, rather than experience), I don't believe myself to be that great of a warrior .

Anything swordfighting tactic that uses a shield gets my vote.

So don't like being hit by a sword? ) sheilds need really good strenght, even the small ones, and I found them difficult to use, apart from the small arm shields/protection that go on gauntlets or gloves.. they're a impressive weapon on their own but as I said you'll be carrying a minimum of 1kg on each hand.. plus the sword..
EvilNed View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote EvilNed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 13:11

So don't like being hit by a sword? ) sheilds need really good strenght, even the small ones, and I found them difficult to use, apart from the small arm shields/protection that go on gauntlets or gloves.. they're a impressive weapon on their own but as I said you'll be carrying a minimum of 1kg on each hand.. plus the sword..

Well, it might not be as fancy, but I do believe it to be more effective in a fight. And that's what it's all about!

Post Reply Post Reply