Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did the Mongols decided to Expand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cengiz Kagan View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cengiz Kagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did the Mongols decided to Expand?
    Posted: 06-Jul-2005 at 17:13
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I agree with Herodotus that the Mongol Empires brought the level of economic interaction to a new height.

The alleged Brutality of their conquest is exaggerated because of their extent. I see no real difference in the cruelty of the Mongols compared to other barbarian conqueres or even civilized conquerors like the Macedonians and the Romans. Same thing with the so-called population extermination. In fact, the number of deaths with the Mongol conquests was not unusually large when normalized to the extent of their conquests. Caesar killed and enslaved 2/3 of the population in Gaul, which is much higher than the percentage of deaths in the Mongol campaigns in China.

I agree with you.

The Mongols/Tatars were no saints but the number of deaths are higly exaggerated. Furthermore, the positive things they did  are underrated.

TANRI TURKU KORUSUN
Turkic10 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turkic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2005 at 22:23
It is not suprising that the countries conquered by the Mongols wrote histories demonizing them and exaggerating much of what really happened. Examine most histories and you will find a lot of twisted facts.
Admonish your friends privately, praise them publicly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12