Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help in ancient/dialetical Arabic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
inacio View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote inacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help in ancient/dialetical Arabic
    Posted: 12-Mar-2014 at 11:06
The Arabic name of the city of Lisbon (today Portugal) was ISHBONA or ESHBONA.
I would like to know what was the lexical meaning of this word in the Arabic language.
Thanks for any help.
Inacio Steinhardt
I am curious
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2014 at 15:16
It doesn't have to mean something just to translation of Arabic from former name

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5a/Iberia_500.svg

İt looks like the Arabic name of the Lisbon come from Visigoths

Edited by Ollios - 12-Mar-2014 at 15:18
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
inacio View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote inacio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 04:52
It really does not have to mean something, but maybe it does. I was told that it means PORT and I would like to see this cunfirmed of refuted by somebody who realli knows classic/dialetical Arabic.
I am curious
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2014 at 16:07
Originally posted by inacio

It really does not have to mean something, but maybe it does. I was told that it means PORT and I would like to see this cunfirmed of refuted by somebody who realli knows classic/dialetical Arabic.

It doesn't mean that it doesn' t have a meaning but the most of time conquerers changed the local names to able to pronounciate easily in their own language and the name is losing own meaning in the new version.

According to my this source, the first name was given my Phoenicians and meaning is "friendly bay". It is quite similar with port.

"Lisbon is said to owe its origin to Ulysses, and hence its oldest name Ulisaypo or Olissipo, which became on Phænecian lips Alisubbo, meaning the "friendly bay".

Edited by Ollios - 18-Mar-2014 at 03:42
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply