Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

300: Rise Of An Empire, another anti-Iranian movie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300: Rise Of An Empire, another anti-Iranian movie
    Posted: 31-Aug-2014 at 21:32
That is true, but I sincerely doubt that such consideration will impress Hollywood and inspire it to make historically and culturally correct movies.
Thanks, Master-of-Meanings!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2014 at 04:20
''Not really a reason for Iranians to be offended.''

Amen. I remain offended in the current context, by the radical Islamist terrorists there more so than a Hollywood glamorization of the past.

Originally posted by beorna

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

beorna, what do you think about a movie which depicts your nation as demons? Xerxes was one of the greatest men in our history, you can't compare him to Mickey Mouse, Superman or other fictional characters, you certainly insult to a nation by demonising or mocking their heroes.

I am German, are you serious. I can't count the movies in which germans are shown as evil monsters, stupid roboters, militaristic idiots or our Germanic ancestors as uncivilised fur wearing barbarians.Some time ago Alexander was shown in a movie as homophil. The was an outcry in Greece. The same stupid behaviour.These people are dead for more than thousands years, indeed for several thousand of years. I think it would need some coolness. If people don't like such movies, don't look them.

Yup I agree.

Sounds like a current, contextual 'sour grapes 'apologia, from a country. Now well established as a terrorist state to justify that development. With references to and feigned outrage and claims of racism. With a historical state they haven't had an association with in thousand of years.

As that development has significantly evolved.

And which no longer exists, essentially. As it has been replaced with Islam, as a state-culture-society etc.

Iow. use the remote past to express a complaint or justification or reinvention as a cover.

Smells like the techniques used by Nazi's if you ask me.

Besides..again.... it's 'follywood'.

The great distorters-of the actual record.

So get real and get over it.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 01-Sep-2014 at 04:28
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2014 at 14:05
For crying out loud, CV.  Disapprove You must be the only person left on the planet who fails to grasp the meaning of the word "Hollywood", which is not and never has been to accurately present history but solely to make money by doing whatever it takes to sell movies.

This would be the very same Hollywood that infamously cast John Wayne as Ghenghis Khan, and that says it all.

If history has taught us anything, and apparently it has not, it is that there are no good guys or bad guys, just various civilizations with differing philosophies and ambitions, some of which meet our current 21st century morality standards and most of which do not.  What we still fail to comprehend is that those civilizations met the morality standards of the time, period.

Thus, slavery is meaningless, since it has been around since the dawn of time and is still practiced widely throughout the world.  Military conquest through savagery and brute force likewise is as old as Mankind itself.  It was widely practiced for centuries by the most modern and inventive ancient empire of all, the Roman empire.

Mysogynism is still with us, widely practiced by the Muslim religion, interestingly the religion of modern day "Persia", i.e., Iran, and the Asian cultures, otherwise highly advanced for their time.  What was Japan, after all, in terms of ancient practices, if not one of the most barbaric and repressive on the planet?

Moaning about Hollywood's representations of history is as useless as complaining that Playboy bunnies aren't "real women" - in other  words, everybody knows that - what's your point?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2014 at 11:37
Originally posted by Mountain Man

For crying out loud, CV.  Disapprove You must be the only person left on the planet who fails to grasp the meaning of the word "Hollywood", which is not and never has been to accurately present history but solely to make money by doing whatever it takes to sell movies.This would be the very same Hollywood that infamously cast John Wayne as Ghenghis Khan, and that says it all.If history has taught us anything, and apparently it has not, it is that there are no good guys or bad guys, just various civilizations with differing philosophies and ambitions, some of which meet our current 21st century morality standards and most of which do not.  What we still fail to comprehend is that those civilizations met the morality standards of the time, period.Thus, slavery is meaningless, since it has been around since the dawn of time and is still practiced widely throughout the world.  Military conquest through savagery and brute force likewise is as old as Mankind itself.  It was widely practiced for centuries by the most modern and inventive ancient empire of all, the Roman empire.Mysogynism is still with us, widely practiced by the Muslim religion, interestingly the religion of modern day "Persia", i.e., Iran, and the Asian cultures, otherwise highly advanced for their time.  What was Japan, after all, in terms of ancient practices, if not one of the most barbaric and repressive on the planet?Moaning about Hollywood's representations of history is as useless as complaining that Playboy bunnies aren't "real women" - in other  words, everybody knows that - what's your point?

Reread the previous oh high and mighty one. I've already made my point.
I don't understand your beratement here. as I'm not the one decrying the fallacy and inaccuracy of follywood. Nor clandestinely if not openly crying racism.

My point remains as stated but in an effort to help out. I'll paraphrase:

This is nothing more than an Islamist piss and moan session; when they should be concerned with the terrorists amongst themselves and whom in many cases; genocidal, anti theological oppression, other than Islam, and undemocratic agendas, they support.

More so than an attempt to defend a Persian culture and accurate representation they no longer can ascribe to. viz it's replacement by Islam.

Iow. it's good cover. Nazi like.

Distortion-disinformation-obfuscation-dissimulation.

They remain masters of it.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2014 at 20:20
So, oh lowly one, more of your usual pendantic nonsense then.  Disapprove

Edited by Mountain Man - 02-Sep-2014 at 20:22
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12