Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

West versus East

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Online Status: Offline
  Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: West versus East
    Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 19:55
For most of who live in western countries, our exposure to ancient history extends to the Egyptians, The Romans and the Greeks. It then progressed to European history, especially to our home countries, where applicable. And by this last I mean where the country actually existed in, say, medieval times. Most of us didn't learn anything much about the East, and I wonder why that is so. There is a wealth of learning to be had from the Eurasian Steppes for example, in the development of the PIE languages, population and cultural movements. There is a wealth of knowledge top be gained from the whole region of North China (Tarim Basin for example) Mongolia and Tibet. We know so little about these regions which, I believe have had a major impact on the development of Europe and by extension,the New World.

As Julius Sumner-Miller asked so appropriately, "Why is it so?"
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 21:16
Well Toyo...., it was not so considered 80-95 years ago.
Back then, the chronologist's and Historian's of the time either praised the history of the Levant or the civilizations of the
Tigris and Euphrates valley, or put down the same for the civilization of the Egyptians!

But, all of that was to be terminated via dated and well written reports from Egypt!

Regards,
Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 21:24
Originally posted by opuslola

Well Toyo...., it was not so considered 80-95 years ago.
Back then, the chronologist's and Historian's of the time either praised the history of the Levant or the civilizations of the
Tigris and Euphrates valley, or put down the same for the civilization of the Egyptians!

But, all of that was to be terminated via dated and well written reports from Egypt!

Regards,
Ron

Thanks for the insight into your schooldays Ron.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2014 at 18:27
Well I did go to what was considered an advanced school! But, as it seems, I was not one of the most advanced ones! LOL

I have problems using commas in our modern system! I actually love to use them and other symbols, which makes a lot of our younger readers nervous. But I use them as guides for "speech" making, which makes it more likely I will not just be thought of as an idiot but speaking like one! Smile!

I actually had to punctuate the words of my step daughter's text books because of the lack of punctuation!

I really do not understand how this young lady ever learned anything!

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply