Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Charles the Grosse ever exist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Charles the Grosse ever exist?
    Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 15:58
Please read and examine this site! And tell us what is wrong.

http://elisabethdemoreau.wordpress.com/lost-tomb-2/

Regards, Ron

I have no idea why I cannot retrieve the above address!

Perhaps you can?

Any way, it does appear that some historians do dispute the actual existence of this reportedly great personage.

The first paragraph of the above site says; "History books usually state that Charlemagne died in Aachen and was buried there in 814. The truth is, Charlemagne died at Aquisgranum, in Francia, and was buried THERE in 814, which isn’t the same thing, and which, besides, no one is able to dispute."

If my connection does not work for you just copy and past the paragraph above and search!

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 31-Jan-2014 at 16:08
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by opuslola

Any way, it does appear that some historians do dispute the actual existence of this reportedly great personage.

Sorry opuslola, but not according to the site you are directing people to!

The writer is claiming that Charlemagne (not Charles le Grosse, who is a different person) was Belgian rather than German, claiming that the sites identified with Charlemagne's life and death have been transposed from Belgium to Germany.

She herself claims to be descended from Charlemagne, so she most certainly does believe he existed, and in the accepted chronological period too.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 17:53
Does not "Charles le Grosse" translate into Charles the Great? Does not "le Magne" mean the same?

Could either personage have been called "the fat?"

And concerning Charlemagne, just why does he remain unfounded?

I am sure that modern day archeology could dig under the modern cathedral and find out for sure?

You bet is could be done but it is not done! It is one of the Western Worlds greatest mysteries.

Regards, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 31-Jan-2014 at 18:04
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2014 at 18:26
'Grosse' is the feminine form of the French word 'gros', meaning fat.

Charles le Grosse makes no sense. 'Le' indicates a masculine, but 'grosse' is feminine. Charles le Gros, however, means Charles the Fat in French.

I think you are confusing this with Karl der Grosse, which is German for Charles the Great (Charlemagne).

Concerning Charlemagne - what do you mean "why does he remain unfounded?" Nobody (in your linked site) has said that, and you've given no evidence that he is. His burial site in Aachen is claimed by the website to be unfounded, but that is very different from claiming that Charlemagne himself is.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2014 at 17:56
Yes of course Sidney, I did indeed mean to write Karl/Charles der Grosse! Sorry for the blunder! At my great age, I oft do things like that! Mixing French and German terms sometimes confuses persons like me!

But, I still doubt his burial site or at least his timeline!

Ron (der Grose!) smile

Edited by opuslola - 03-Feb-2014 at 17:57
 Post Reply Post Reply