Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origins of The Celts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Online Status: Offline
  Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origins of The Celts
    Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 03:07
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

I can't get past that on one hand the Celts are definitely indoeuropean, and on other hand there are undeniable Atlantis connections (as i posted a list before and now add another 3 points:
- sky fall on heads = Atlas / world pillar theme;
- timagenes: gauls/invaders from island/land in middle of ocean which sank.
-herodotus said the celts are beyond the pillars of hercules and are the most westerly people of europe (excepting/with the cynesians/cynetes).)

Could (some of) the Celts be (partly) from a combination of 2 peoples that produced a new Celt people/culture?

ps I was thinking what about the tracing the origins of Ogham script, then i had a thought what about the Peteroborough bronze age ogham (& runic) inscriptions in North America (Barry Fell 'Bronze Age America' / 'America BC', J Jewell 'Aryans in the New World')

pps There is also that comparison of "Cernunnos" [on Gundestrup cauldron?] and "Pasupati" [on Indus seal?]

ppps this is very dubious but interesting: possible Phoenician origins:
www.jrbooksonline.com/pob/pob_ch07.html‎
kreti/cherethites & pleti/pelethites (biblical) ~ celts/cruithne & britons??
I think you've wandered away a bit. I haven't seen any evidence of an Atlantis connection.

Nor do I see any combination of two peoples, more likely that the Celts, like other people from the region, was a mixture of people who had adopted the Celtic Language and Culture, and became Celts. But there is no argument that this group of people, with different origins, could NOT have had yDNA R or even R1b.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 19:25
And, there also exists some contention concerning just what were the "Pillars of Hercules!" Just what "reliable evidence" can be found that places them there at that time?

I have sometimes seen them shown in the middle of Russia!
Ron

Edited by opuslola - 06-Feb-2014 at 19:26
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 20:03
Originally posted by opuslola

And, there also exists some contention concerning just what were the "Pillars of Hercules!" Just what "reliable evidence" can be found that places them there at that time?

I have sometimes seen them shown in the middle of Russia!
Ron
Ron: What's your point here? Are you saying that the Celts could not have had R1b?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 20:52
Blood tests men little to me! Culture is more important! And the only reason these people, who/whom ever they were, are certainly expected to be from beyond (to the West of) the entrance into the Med. Sea!

But, that is nothing sure or factual, since these very pillars existence are disputed for centuries.

Comment sa/ca va ?

Funny French!

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=861308

Ron
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 21:17
Ron:

1. Bien, merci boucoup!
2. DNA and cultures are entwined in history, to a lesser or greater degree, so that the majority of members of a particular culture can be defined as having a particular Haplogroup or groups.
3. The Pontic/Caspian Steppe, and the European Steppe are a very long way from the entrance to the med.
4. Are we still both on the same thread "The Origins of The Celts"? I'm fairly certain the Celts didn't build the Pillars of Hercules, but.......Stern Smile
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 21:44
Ian wrote;

"4. Are we still both on the same thread "The Origins of The Celts"? I'm fairly certain the Celts didn't build the Pillars of Hercules, but.......Stern Smile"

Well if perhaps some old map maker placed them in the Steppe area, then they too were wrong? Remember above I merely stated "Russia" and that covers quite a bit of "steppe" area.

So, if your "Celts", and I think it more correct to spell this as "KELT", did conceivably come from this steppe area, then the building of these Pillars? could well be true.

But you see?, I don't really believe that these things, just like the "Pillars of Alexander" means not a real "pillar" but fortresses, covering a pass! A "armed gate" if you please!

Regards, ron

Edited by opuslola - 06-Feb-2014 at 21:45
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 01:58
Originally posted by opuslola

Ian wrote;

"4. Are we still both on the same thread "The Origins of The Celts"? I'm fairly certain the Celts didn't build the Pillars of Hercules, but.......Stern Smile"

Well if perhaps some old map maker placed them in the Steppe area, then they too were wrong? Remember above I merely stated "Russia" and that covers quite a bit of "steppe" area.

So, if your "Celts", and I think it more correct to spell this as "KELT", did conceivably come from this steppe area, then the building of these Pillars? could well be true.

But you see?, I don't really believe that these things, just like the "Pillars of Alexander" means not a real "pillar" but fortresses, covering a pass! A "armed gate" if you please!

Regards, ron
Ermm
Ermm
Ermm
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 04:33
There were 12 pillars of Hercules. The ones in Atlantis account are clearly Gibraltar ones, though they were probably the ones of temple of Hercules in Tartessos which matches Hercules name site at Huelva. (Pillars of ALexander and Hercules are connected with Gilgamesh.)

Atlantis/Pillars are on-topic not wandering away because Celts "sky fall on heads" is connected with Atlas and world pillar of Atlantis. There is no doubt that one origin of some "Celts" is Atlantis &/or Athenians/Hercules. Herodotus says the Celts are the westernmost people of Europe with the Cynetes, and the other Atlantis/Celts evidences i already listed (i'll list it again as you say you haven't seen any evidence yet i posted it, which is the very same thing they kept doing to me on Historum).

- *Celt's* "sky fall on heads" = Atlas / world pillar theme;
- timagenes: *Gauls*/invaders from island/land in middle of ocean which sank.
- Herodotus said the *Celts* are beyond the pillars of hercules and are the most westerly people of europe (excepting/with the cynesians/cynetes).)
- BA/Beakers/Celts (McEvedy/JHawkes) seem to arrive about time of Atlantis versus Athens/Hercules. (Compared timelines of thread page 2.)
(- Ogham script & runes found in Peterborough North America?)
- Atlantic theory &/or central west europe theory (& Spain theory) of origin of Celts fits with Atlanteans.
- Albion son of Neptune [Poseidon/Atlantis] (Holinshed) versus Hercules [Athens].
- "Latinus, 'king of Chittim', led his army 'against the inhabitants of Britannia' - in the time of Joshua!" [possibly matches Atlanteans/Keftiou/Caphtorim about time of Moses/Joshua?]
- celts had towering sefaring ships in caesar's time (and london was a port with hundreds of ships)
- quoits/chambers/dolmens ~ Atlas (sky/earth bearer/pillar) motif?
- earthworks & henges/rings/stone circles
- stonehenge (concentric rings, 5x2)?
[- baths of Badon ~ Atlantis hot/cold springs?]
- "the name of an head of land in Britaine called _Promontorium Herculis_" (pillars of Hercules?)
- Megaliths on west coast UK (ref Hawkes) = Atlantis [south-]west.
- stonehenge damaged on southwest ~ Atlantis "sunk" southwest?
- Alanus ~ atlantis?
{- cup/saucer markings clava cairns Inverness, rock art Carndonagh/Doagh, & snakelike pathways/patterns fairy ring Uig Skye ~ concentric ringed city of Atlantis / 'Atlantis Cross'?}
- concentric rings bryn-celli-ddu. (phallic stone & vulvic slit ~ poseidon & clito).
- maiden castle (concentric rings)?
- disk/bowl/bell/double bell at Normanton Down (rings/clito, canals)?

Of course some of these may rather be pre-Celtic.

If i have wandered away or only talking of some people that became Celts as you say then you should be clear what "Celts" (and origin theory) you are only interested in. And you said yourself that "no one knows the birthplace of celtic culture". You don't accept the Hallstatt/Cimmerians theory of WEFilmer etc, you don't accept the Atlantic theory, you don't accept the Spain theory, you don't accept the central west Europe theory, you don't accept the Tocharian theory, you don't accept Nennius'/etc theory.
Scholars all seem to agree that Celts and Italics were close [Kittim? Trojans?] for sometime before they split.

Darn messing up my offline studies again having to answer replies after i tried to leave.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 05:07
Arthur-Robin:

Mate, you're off your trolley!!

The Pillars of Hercules have nothing to do with the Origin of the Celts, unless you're saying the two are synonymous.

I don't reject all of the theories that you refer to. I've put forward my theory with an invitation for other members to discuss or debate it with me.

I know that the most recent and popular theory for the Origin of the Celts the Iberian theory, but I'd like to see more evidence.

Quite frankly, I find many of your posts a bit mad, incohesive and irrelevant.

But if you wish to debate my topic, go for it.

If you really are involved in the investigative field, you should know the meaning of "evidence" as opposed to a list of rambling unconnected facts.
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 07:04
Fine stuff you (to be rude to you since you are rude to me). I'll bugger off then if you are going to insult me calling me off-trolley, rambling, mad, incoherent, irrelevant, unconnected (though the word "facts" i don't begrudge). Afterall it is your topic anyway. My posts are no more odd than any others including yours. If i am not an investigator then how come i am the one thart found Arthur's 12 battles, Atlantis, the Wonders of Britain, Joseph in Egypt, etc etc when all your solemn stuck-up "scholars" couldn't for decades/centuries/milleniums? Pillars of Hercules was only incidental in relation to Atlanteans/Celts evidences which you/Opuslola blew up into a big issue. You can rubbish me but you can't rubbish the evidences and sources like Herodotus, Timagenes, etc. I'd rather trust the ancients own acconts than your stupid modern "scientists" theories (and semi-misleading or cheating haplotypes). Sorry maybe i missed your theory or didn't read the posts properly or confused you with other poster but you or other seemed to just not accept any of the extant theories and put forward none of your own. The Iberian theory doesn't necessarily seem that strong to me either. One source gives evidence that Celts and Scandinavians are close (maybe from upper Rhine), but you're on your own no more free help from me. You seem to imply you are Celtic/Irish, I thought I was Irish/Celtic/Alpine but I'm certainly not same race as you.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 07:58
Maybe you are interested in a little research about the story of Atlantis, how we got knowledge about it and if it is backed by a single archaeological evidence.
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 15:54
If you mean me, please see the Plato's Atlantis topic (my) last reply days/a week ago where i give more than a single archaeological evidence from more than a little research that it is now [proven] found (though it may yet need even more proof of some points to convince/prove to mainstream). Sorry for any off-topic, I know this topic is Celts origins and i only mentioned it in regards that there seems some evidence of Atlantean or "Herculean" connections with some of the Celts or pre-Celts. I will not be posting any much anymore on AE except to answer any negative replies that i need to.
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2014 at 20:15

If you mean me, please see the Plato's Atlantis topic (my) last reply days/a week ago where i give more than a single archaeological evidence from more than a little research that it is now [proven] found (though it may yet need even more proof of some points to convince/prove to mainstream). Sorry for any off-topic, I know this topic is Celts origins and i only mentioned it in regards that there seems some evidence of Atlantean or "Herculean" connections with some of the Celts or pre-Celts. I will not be posting any much anymore on AE except to answer any negative replies that i need to.

You're missing the entire point.

Unless there is a connection, or you are suggesting a connection between the Celts and the Pillars of Hercules, your information is irrelevant, off topic if you like.

Likewise your list of unconnected references, many of which are suspect, they reveal nothing about the Celtic connection to the Pillars.

All I'm saying is debate me on my theory that the Celts could have originated on the European or Pontic/Caspian Steppe-or not, as you choose, instead of introducing information not relevant to the topic.
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2014 at 11:54
I was not missing the point (except your topic steppe interest). I have already proven connection of Atlantis with origin of some Celts and they are not unconnected or suspect. (You and Opuslola were the ones that going on about Pillars.) But don't worry i won't be posting anymore on it, esp now that you have made it clear your topic is only Euro/Pontic/Caspian/Steppe (whether you didn't before, or did and i missed it).
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2014 at 18:58

I was not missing the point (except your topic steppe interest). I have already proven connection of Atlantis with origin of some Celts and they are not unconnected or suspect. (You and Opuslola were the ones that going on about Pillars.) But don't worry i won't be posting anymore on it, esp now that you have made it clear your topic is only Euro/Pontic/Caspian/Steppe (whether you didn't before, or did and i missed it).

Yes, the Steppes was my theory, and I'd like others views on that, rather than the Pillars of Hercules.

I admit to knowing zip about them, but I've never heard of a possible Celtic connection, anyway, the timing would be all wrong.

I'm inviting comments on my theory of a Steppes origin.
aniart View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote aniart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2014 at 09:40

Basques believe that Gentiles were their ancestors. The ancient Celts were also Gentiles. Henri Boudet writes in his book 'The true Celtic language and the Cromleck of Rennes-les-Bains' that Celts knew tiles. Cambridge Advanced English Dictionary relates: ang. gentile, Gentile ['dзen.tail]a person who is not Jewish; ang. gen [dзen] – information about a particular subject, tile [tail] – a thin, usually square or rectangular, piece of baked clay, plastic, etc. used for covering roofs, floors, walls; and in French dictionary is written: fr. gentilpagan, nice, gentle, kind .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123