Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anahita: Mother of Chastity or Knowledge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anahita: Mother of Chastity or Knowledge?
    Posted: 24-Dec-2013 at 16:16

[KingTirdat extols] the: great Lady Anahit, the glory of our nation and vivifier . . .; mother of all chastity, and issue of the great and valiant Aramazd“

alt. “noble Lady... mother of all knowledge, daughter of the great and mighty Aramazd. 

Which one did Agathangelos use?

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2013 at 04:20
Or Mother of Water.mojobadshah!Water is chastity!We use this word,they sound the same. for
honorable&honest.

Edited by medenaywe - 25-Dec-2013 at 04:35
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2013 at 21:47
What a funny two piece post!

You guys/gals just cannot be serious!

Just from the site posted ab0ve an you will see these w0rds:

http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Shinar.html#.UsN4INF3uUk

Regards, Ron

Edited by opuslola - 31-Dec-2013 at 21:50
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2013 at 22:27
From the above site one can read the following!

"The etymology or meaning of the name Shinar is not known for sure, but various possibilities exist.

Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names derives it from shr (sh'r). The root idea is to split open, to break through. Derivative shr (sha'ar) means gate.

Thus Jones reads Casting Out, or Scattering In All Manner Of Ways, but admits that "the derivation, however, is very uncertain." This explanation, for instance, fails to explain what happened to the letter nun in the name Sharon, and that's a pretty big failure.

More appealing is the root group naar (na'ar I, II & III):
naar (na'ar) means to growl.
naar (na'ar II) means shake, shake out or off.
naar (na'ar III) is the root for words like naar (na'ar), boy, youth, and naar (na'ar), youth, early life.

This root preceded by the relative particle shin, meaning who, which, that, yields That What Is Young (or Shakes, Growls).

The name Shinar may even remind a Hebrew audience of a combination of the words shen (shin), tooth, from the verb shanan (shanan), sharpen, both literally and figuratively of the mind or intellect; and rr ('ar), foe, and Aramaic loan word which is very sporadically used in the Hebrew text of the Bible. The latter may also be a contraction of the much more common word ir ('ir), city. That would bring the meaning of Shinar to Tooth Town, or City Of Wit."

Is Shinar "the city of wit?" Or is the/those words that indicate "teeth" as more correct?

From the above mentioned site we see these words;

"Shinar is the region in southern Mesopotamia where Nimrod's kingdom commenced. It is also the location of the tower of Babel (Genesis 11:2).

"The beginning of his kingdom was Babel and Erech and Accad and Calneh, in the land of Shinar. From that land he went forth into Assyria, and built Nineveh and Rehoboth-Ir and Calah, and Resen between Nineveh and Calah; that is the great city." - Genesis 10:10-12

The etymology or meaning of the name Shinar is not known for sure, but various possibilities exist.

Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names derives it from shr (sh'r). The root idea is to split open, to break through. Derivative shr (sha'ar) means gate.

Thus Jones reads Casting Out, or Scattering In All Manner Of Ways, but admits that "the derivation, however, is very uncertain." This explanation, for instance, fails to explain what happened to the letter nun in the name Sharon, and that's a pretty big failure.

More appealing is the root group naar (na'ar I, II & III):
naar (na'ar) means to growl.
naar (na'ar II) means shake, shake out or off.
naar (na'ar III) is the root for words like naar (na'ar), boy, youth, and naar (na'ar), youth, early life.

This root preceded by the relative particle shin, meaning who, which, that, yields That What Is Young (or Shakes, Growls).

The name Shinar may even remind a Hebrew audience of a combination of the words shen (shin), tooth, from the verb shanan (shanan), sharpen, both literally and figuratively of the mind or intellect; and rr ('ar), foe, and Aramaic loan word which is very sporadically used in the Hebrew text of the Bible. The latter may also be a contraction of the much more common word ir ('ir), city. That would bring the meaning of Shinar to Tooth Town, or City Of Wit."

Thus one might well consider that the "teeth or tooth" scenario should be applied? And this design, consisting 0f regular "tooth" sized gaps upon a defensive wall has this denture mention? Or crenellation.

See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlement

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 01-Jan-2014 at 13:35
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2014 at 07:54
I guess Opuslola must have accidentally posted the last 2 posts in wrong thread/topic (easy enough when posting alot) apparently they are from the Shinar thread/topic about the same time.

Can we perhaps work out where Anahita came from and other cognates?
Some starters:
Originally I thought Anahita/Anaitis might be from Antu(m) / Anat/Anath/Anaitis / Neith.
Later I thought Anahita might be cognate with Nara/Nereus/Nerthus since all water deities and there is a (a)r/(a)h interchange sometimes.
Later on I though Anahita ("spotless, source of all water(s)...") might be the Iranian Noah ("righteous, pure in his generations, castrated by Ham so is either gender in some nations memories, Flood"), or might match Nahash serpent of Genesis, and Elamite Nahhunte. [Spotless sounds abit like the Church/Bride of Christ, or holy spirit? The "mother of all chastity/knowledge" & "vivifier" sounds like Eve the "mother of all life".]
Now I'm not so sure, maybe Anahita might match Inana / Anat / Naamah / Nana/Nanna? (Harlots were called "holy/qdsht".)
Or maybe name similar to Anak, or Anakki/Akki "the waterman" of Sargon story? Or Anukis/Anquet? Or Nakta/Nyx/Nott? Or 'Yamm Nahar'?
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2014 at 14:04
Thanks Arthur-Robin, indeed you are correct. Sorry for the disruption. Ron

Edited by opuslola - 07-Jan-2014 at 14:05
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2014 at 20:38
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

I guess Opuslola must have accidentally posted the last 2 posts in wrong thread/topic (easy enough when posting alot) apparently they are from the Shinar thread/topic about the same time.

Can we perhaps work out where Anahita came from and other cognates?
Some starters:
Originally I thought Anahita/Anaitis might be from Antu(m) / Anat/Anath/Anaitis / Neith.
Later I thought Anahita might be cognate with Nara/Nereus/Nerthus since all water deities and there is a (a)r/(a)h interchange sometimes.
Later on I though Anahita ("spotless, source of all water(s)...") might be the Iranian Noah ("righteous, pure in his generations, castrated by Ham so is either gender in some nations memories, Flood"), or might match Nahash serpent of Genesis, and Elamite Nahhunte. [Spotless sounds abit like the Church/Bride of Christ, or holy spirit? The "mother of all chastity/knowledge" & "vivifier" sounds like Eve the "mother of all life".]
Now I'm not so sure, maybe Anahita might match Inana / Anat / Naamah / Nana/Nanna? (Harlots were called "holy/qdsht".)
Or maybe name similar to Anak, or Anakki/Akki "the waterman" of Sargon story? Or Anukis/Anquet? Or Nakta/Nyx/Nott? Or 'Yamm Nahar'?

Arthur I see a lot of etymologies.  Most of them I would have to question.  In the past I have suggested these kinds of mass comparisons, but no linguist is going to confirm your etymologies unless you're using the comparative method.  

I have questioned connections between Anahita "Angel of the Cosmic Ocean e.g. the stars, rivers, oceans, and lakes; (note Mazda also prays to this mother earth angel)  and Innana "Queen of Heaven and Earth."  There might also be a connection between Anahita and Anu (sky god).  It may also be worth noting that the word for "sky"/ "stone" sounds like it could be related to Anu "sky god."  But I'm not a expert linguist so my linguistic deduction would not be as thorough as it could be.  

In any case I would really like to know which translation in my first post is the authentic one. 
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2014 at 05:52
I guess they (establishment) have got it sown up good then eh, since they also refuse to accept anyone that doesn't write papers the way the stipulate, as well as doesn't use their methods (even if they are right to some extent), and fluoridating the water, etc. (In fact i have had such linguistic experts claim such and such a name can't be related or is related when i have found proof to the contrary.) Maybe Persian h is Indian s like Haoma/Soma, Mah/mas, and supposedly Ahura/Surya/Asura?
Hittite Anu(s) may be Noah since both castrated etc.

anyway sorry i didn't know you were Only interested in the which of the 2 translations is more accurate. Guess you have to refer to the original language (Iranian/Persian) version (and culture).

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 08-Jan-2014 at 16:02
 Post Reply Post Reply