Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poland - the last herd of European Bison(polish only please)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poland - the last herd of European Bison(polish only please)
    Posted: 15-May-2005 at 15:55
I have both read and seen a documentary about the last herd of European bison in Poland. It is in a primeval forest that is pretty much what Europe use to be like before the centuries of deforestation.

Can any of our POLISH members tell us more about this? It is a place I would love to see and I hear the area is a national park. The documentary said that the bison were almost wiped out during WWI by hungry German soldiers and they had to breed them with the American bison to save them from extinction.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 16:20

American bisons are bigger than european. The bigest european bisons are about 3 meters long and 190 cm high and can weight up to 900 kg. They can run fast even 50km/h. In Poland we got about 450. Female bison with kids can be dangerous and may attack but in general they avoid people.

Thats how they look.

http://www.zubry.com/tapety/galeria.php

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 17:18
They have a few of them in a national park in Germany, and some in Romania too AFAIK, so its hardly the last herd in Europe

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 18:29

Nah i was wrong. Iv checked the sites about european bisons and here is their amount all over the world:

Poland: 783

Belarus: 494

Ukraine: 430

Germany: 418

France:83

Great Britain:31

Ireland: 2

Romania:5

Italy : 17

Spain:32

Portugal:6

Sweden: 62

Finland: 9

Russia:319

Lithuania: 48

Estonia: 8

Norway:4

Czech Republic:43

Austria:17

Holland:26

Danmark:11

Slovakia:4

Belgium:8

Croatia:3

Swiss:27

Japan:3

Brasil:25

Rep. of S. Africa: 2

USA:16

Canada: 25

In most cases they live in the zoo's. In Poland and Belarus they live in the only natural forest in Europe: national park "Puszcza Biaowieska" (area of polish/belarusian border)

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 18:36
Damn, i thought there were more in Romania, they're fairly well off when it comes to forrested wilderness.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:36
Bisons in Holland?
I guess that includes zoos?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:39
Or national parks, i'm thinking that one in Arnhem probably has a few (burgers bush or something the place is called, sort of a safari park type thing). But yes, zooish, but not in cages.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:41
Originally posted by Cywr

Or national parks, i'm thinking that one in Arnhem probably has a few (burgers bush or something the place is called, sort of a safari park type thing). But yes, zooish, but not in cages.

Burgers Bush is in greenhouses, does that count? (it's a very nice zoo btw, much better than Artis)

But there is a real Safari Park in North Brabant IIRC.

Edited by Mixcoatl
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:44
Hmm, i'm sure the Burgers Bush is just part of a wider park, which has a zoo and a safari thing (at least i seem to renember siting on a 'tractor train' and going through it.
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 19:09

Well, as i have posted earlier those numbers include bisons which are in zoo's

The number of bisons all over the world could have been bigger but in Poland we have to kill about 50 bisons each year. Altough those pieces designed to kill are being choosed by scientists who pick the sick and weak bisons for death. No open hounting. All the kills are being done by the workers of national park.

Edited by Mosquito
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 19:33
seems a substantial number is in Germany and Ukraine too... are they all in zoos?
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 20:07

Originally posted by vulkan02

seems a substantial number is in Germany and Ukraine too... are they all in zoos?

Dont think so

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 20:09

And this is Bison Vodka, one of my favourit drinks. Now i dont drink much but when i was a student i was use to drink it often.

UBRWKA WDKA

Edited by Mosquito
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 02:31
The Swedish ones are roaming the mountains in mid Sweden, iirc.

In Poland and Belarus they live in the only natural forest in Europe

I can assure you there are more natural forests in Europe.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 06:52
Finland has plenty of natural forests. Sweden too I think.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 11:15
the Carpathian Mountains around Romania also have a lot of untouched forests... we have a good forest cover in Albania too however thats changing now that we have "democracy".
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 13:16
when i say natural, i mean without any human ingerention.  I always thought that last such forest is in Poland. Didnt know that you got it in Sweden too.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 15:31
Originally posted by Mosquito

when i say natural, i mean without any human ingerention. I always thought that last such forest is in Poland. Didnt know that you got it in Sweden too.

There is very little left though, only some 1%.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2005 at 16:16

Originally posted by eaglecap

I have both read and seen a documentary about the last herd of European bison in Poland. It is in a primeval forest that is pretty much what Europe use to be like before the centuries of deforestation.

Can any of our POLISH members tell us more about this? It is a place I would love to see and I hear the area is a national park. The documentary said that the bison were almost wiped out during WWI by hungry German soldiers and they had to breed them with the American bison to save them from extinction.

http://www.bpn.com.pl/

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 14:14
Greece has lots of natural forest and we also have lots of natural forest in the Pacific Northwest. This is why I support setting aside large roadless areas as wilderness.

Millions of acres set aside as roadless areas.

American Buffalo

http://www.wilderness.net/
you can see the eaglecap wilderness area to the left- my user name

Edited by eaglecap
 Post Reply Post Reply