Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First Empire In History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Empire In History
    Posted: 14-May-2005 at 15:27
Sargon the Great (of Akkad) lived 2334-2279 B.C.E. and turned out to be the first great ruler, the first great military tactician and stratetician, and is still amongst the greatest men ever born on this green Earth.
The key to Sargon's victories, however, always lay with his coordination in army movement, his ability to improvise tactics, his combined arms strategy, and his skill a siege warfare, as well as the keeping of intelligence, and always relying on heavy reconaissance.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 18:49
who says earth is green?
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 02:25
He is also the man to start all this nonse for a man to believe he could rule the world through military conquest.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
magavan View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote magavan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 06:05
Sargon was a barbarian with no spiritual actions, it wasn't a great ruler just a conquistador who killed women and men for pleasure.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 16:05
you are wrong french man he was not a barbarian he was agreat leader
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 01:13
facts?
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
AssyrianMan7 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AssyrianMan7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 11:56
He created the first empire in the world and he united all of the civilazations in Mesopotamia!!!
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 04:51
There is actually very little we know about Sargon of Akkad, at least not to the detail Ahmed describes.  His origins are described in legendary terms.  What we know about his rags-to-riches rise to power is unfortunately frustrated by incomplete or broken texts, which included serving two kings.  We can barely chronicle his far-flung military achievements (highly detailed as they individually were) only in the broadest outlines.  One legend places him in central Anatolia.  We know of his patron deity was Ishtar, made ships from far-off civilizations dock on the quay of Akkad, and maintained a standing army.  He appointed his daughter, Enheduanna as the first high-priestess of the temple of Sin at Ur.  This office was to last 500 years.  At the end of his reign he faced an empire-wide rebellion which he crushed. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 20:45

I'd say we even refer his campaingns as being gone as far as crossing the sea to Cyprus and Crete, but might not be veridic since this info comes from geographical list reffered as being obscure and not quite accurate. Or even the "Epic of the King of the Battle" telling about Sargon going as far as protecting merchants in deep Asia Minor in the still-unlocated city of Burushanda (Purshahanda). Some other non-mesopotamian campaigns would be more plausible such as in Kurdistan or even in the persian gulf (Oman).

Some other achievements by Sargon (Sharru-Kin):
- that he made Akkadian (inflected type called semitic) as the official language in the empire.
- that he raised Shushim (susa) to a Capital-city. That after crushing/defeating king of Awan so kings of Elam become vassals of the great empire.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 21:03

Here is a great link about enheduanna
http://www.transoxiana.com.ar/0108/roberts-enheduanna.html

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 21:05
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 23:31
It's interesting to note that the name of Sargon's wife, Tashlultum, meant "I took [you/her] as spoil".  According to one legend, a messenger reported to Lugalzagesi that Sargon had lain with his queen (otherwise unknown) and renamed her his concubine.  The legend then describes Lugalzagesi as trying the lure Sargon to Uruk under the pretence that he wasn't angry with him.  Lugalzagesi, thus not only lost his kingdom, but may have also lost his wife to Sargon, as well.
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:24
Achemanian empire was the first world empire.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 20:49
Absolutely not. The Sumer/Akkad Empire and then the first Assyrian Empire were definetely before the Achaemenids. Then, we have the Hittite Empire and that of NK Egypt that extended up to the Lebanese coast.

Edited by konstantinius - 06-Nov-2006 at 20:50
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 23:45
What are the evidences to attest to his existence ?
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 12:35

Sargon was a barbarian with no spiritual actions, it wasn't a great ruler just a conquistador who killed women and men for pleasure.

Okay, lets' just recap here.
A- you can't apply our social terms of "barbarian" to a man who lived so long ago and lived in such a different society from us
B- the man who practically invented the centralized state is not a barbarian
C- The idea of killing men and women for pleasure does not neccesarily mean that he is a barbarian. His social ideas then were very different and so were people's expectations of him.

Moving on from such ridiculous comments, he also invented the first ever organized and professional military force
Khashayarshah View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Khashayarshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 16:24
Originally posted by konstantinius

Absolutely not. The Sumer/Akkad Empire and then the first Assyrian Empire were definetely before the Achaemenids. Then, we have the Hittite Empire and that of NK Egypt that extended up to the Lebanese coast.

The first WORLD EMPIRE my friend.
Who is the real fool? the man who says what to do, or the man that follows him?
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:52
Originally posted by Khashayarshah

Originally posted by konstantinius

The first WORLD EMPIRE my friend.

What is that supposed to mean? Did the Persian Empire extend to China or Africa? What is a "world empire", what are its limits and how did it differ from its previous empires?
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 06:54
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

What are the evidences to attest to his existence ?

Whose existence? The Sumerians or the Hittites? Look in the archaeological record.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 07:14

Arent't the ephemerous Sumerian empires preceding the Akkadian empire? Lugalzagesi's conquest, for instance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>