Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China Versus USA (New World order)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China Versus USA (New World order)
    Posted: 18-May-2005 at 21:25
I believe that China already has enough money to pull the stunt. They have been one of the most eager buyers of dollars in the recent years. They do it mainly to keep the value of their currency low against the dollar so that the cost of Chinese exports will still be low for the American consumers.

Asian banks buying dollars is another reason why short term interest rates are still low, even though the Federal reserve has been consistently raising the interest rates, according to the some economists.

As long as the U.S. is the main market for China, we can be sure that they will not begin any conflict. The U.S. will not try anything against the Chinese as long as they hold so many dollars.

One of the trends to watch is to see how successful China is in diversifying its market for its goods. Once its economy can survive not having the U.S. as its major partner, then we can begin to worry. As you said, this may not be the case for a long time

The above assumes rational behavior on the part of both countries. Taiwan can be an issue that unleashes irrationality into my scenario.
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 14:49

To Hugoestr & Genghis,

Hugo is right.  I am a currently in a MBA program & the Chinese are number two (Japan is number one) in relations to foreigners owning US Treasuries.  Taiwan is number three and S.Korea is number four.  Imagine if there was a war in the Far east between China and US.  I will probably be a naval war.  The Pentagon did a mock battle a year ago (using computers) and they predict it will take about three to six days for the Chinese to sink our fleet.  But I am not a military expert.

If war broke out.  All four countries will sell their US Treasuries.  Even if they don't sell all, they will sell enough to effect our interest rates.  FYI, the price of bonds and bills are a inverse relationship with interest rates.  If the price goes up, the rate goes down and vice versa.  So if war did break out, they (Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Koreans) will sell the US treasuries, thus causing the price to decline & the rate to increase.  This will effectively kill the housing market & make every good you and I take for granted skyrocket.  Your Dell laptop which sells for about $500.00 might go to $800 to $1000.  That is why the democrats was saying we have to pay down our debt.  Nobody listen & one of these days, the foreigners will grow tired of financing our future.

It is not that far away, once the US pushes China to "float" their currency, there will be no need for the four Asian nations to buy US treasuries (they buy US treasuries because they try to keep their currencies at a artifically low level, thus goods make in Japan, China or Korea is cheap for US consumers to purchase) because China will be letting the market decide on the exchange rate of their Yuan.  Some economist have said it is undervalued by 30%. 

I hope I did not bore anybody.

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 14:57

Hugo,

FYI, the fed is raising the interest rates, but the ten year note has barely moved.  The Ten Year Note rate is the rate which mortgage rates are based on.  All the Asian Countries I mentioned earlier are buy the Ten Year Note.  Thus the nonmovement in the Ten Year Note.  However, the Fed will move the short term rate to about 4.00 to 4.50.  If the Ten year note rate still stays the same, in classic investment 101, this is called the inverted yield curve, which translates to a recession.  The long term rates should be higher than your short term rate.  If it is the opposite, you have a recession.

Once the Bush Administration pushes China hard enough to float the Yuan, China will no longer need to buy the Ten Year Notes or any other US treasuries for that matter.  The increase in value of the Yuan will cause the increase in the value of the Won, Yen, & Taiwan Dollar.  Thus all four countries will exit the US Treasury Market. 

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 16:25
Thanks, jiangweibaoye for your two posts. I have heard bout the inverted yield curve before, but your explanation is the best that I have encountered.

I hope that your prediction about Asian countries leaving the U.S. treasury market is right. At least they will have the economic incentive to do so. Of course, If I were them, I would keep enough to keep it as a bargaining chip.
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 17:08

If I was the US, I would bring down the debt.  I will kill us down the road.

If I was China, I would diversify my economy to be more of a service economy or find some other consumer economy like the US.  However, no country in the world spend like we do. 

If I were Korea, Japan, or Taiwan, I would just pray that nothing happens.  The three countries are and will probably always be export economies because of their lack of natural resources and low population.  Also all three of their economies have one thing in common, their biggest trading partner was the US.  Now it is China.

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 17:21

Also concerning Genghis suggestion that India might be the next China.  That is what everybody is hoping for.  Including China.  But the problem with India is very complicated.  But in short.

They still have an unofficial cast system going on.  A society with such a outdated and unfair system will only go so far economically.

Secondly and more important, their population is slowly suffociating their economic muscle.  By that I mean that tax revenue they get is being funnelled into paying for school, food, & health care, etc...You can say that China has the same problem too, but China has been in the capitalist world later than India, but India seem to progress much slower.  There are many theories for why it is occurring.  My personal view is corruption.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 01:28
A more better and more fitting topic will be: China versus Japan for dominance over East Asia!
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 13:39
There already is one.
Arrrgh!!"
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 14:00
Originally posted by jiangweibaoye

They still have an unofficial cast system going on.  A society with such a outdated and unfair system will only go so far economically.

I really can't stand it when people use this as an argument against india each time! Nobody in my family, none of my friends, noboby in my area of Ahmedabad believes in it. Though there is a minority that still do you have to understand that the majority tend not to any more.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 20:42

Imagine if there was a war in the Far east between China and US.  I will probably be a naval war.  The Pentagon did a mock battle a year ago (using computers) and they predict it will take about three to six days for the Chinese to sink our fleet.

That's pretty laughable, their fleet is a joke, naval experts all across the world say the US navy could defeat most of the rest of the world's navies in a war.

You didn't mean we'd sink their fleet in three to six days did you?

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 20:44

To Hugoestr & Genghis,

Hugo is right.  I am a currently in a MBA program & the Chinese are number two (Japan is number one) in relations to foreigners owning US Treasuries.  Taiwan is number three and S.Korea is number four.  Imagine if there was a war in the Far east between China and US.  I will probably be a naval war.  The Pentagon did a mock battle a year ago (using computers) and they predict it will take about three to six days for the Chinese to sink our fleet.  But I am not a military expert.

If war broke out.  All four countries will sell their US Treasuries.  Even if they don't sell all, they will sell enough to effect our interest rates.  FYI, the price of bonds and bills are a inverse relationship with interest rates.  If the price goes up, the rate goes down and vice versa.  So if war did break out, they (Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, Koreans) will sell the US treasuries, thus causing the price to decline & the rate to increase.  This will effectively kill the housing market & make every good you and I take for granted skyrocket.  Your Dell laptop which sells for about $500.00 might go to $800 to $1000.  That is why the democrats was saying we have to pay down our debt.  Nobody listen & one of these days, the foreigners will grow tired of financing our future.

It is not that far away, once the US pushes China to "float" their currency, there will be no need for the four Asian nations to buy US treasuries (they buy US treasuries because they try to keep their currencies at a artifically low level, thus goods make in Japan, China or Korea is cheap for US consumers to purchase) because China will be letting the market decide on the exchange rate of their Yuan.  Some economist have said it is undervalued by 30%. 

I hope I did not bore anybody.

What could Americans do about that if a war broke out?  Could the US government buy up a lot of dollars or change currency rules or introduce price controls?

Member of IAEA
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 21:50
Originally posted by Genghis

Imagine if there was a war in the Far east between China and US.  I will probably be a naval war.  The Pentagon did a mock battle a year ago (using computers) and they predict it will take about three to six days for the Chinese to sink our fleet.

That's pretty laughable, their fleet is a joke, naval experts all across the world say the US navy could defeat most of the rest of the world's navies in a war.

You didn't mean we'd sink their fleet in three to six days did you?

We first will swarm you with hundreds these Stealth Catamaran and conventional missile boats armed with long range C-803 ASM

And than attack you with a combined force of the East sea fleet south sea fleet, north sea fleet and the airforce and Naval Aviation.
Our 100 Su-30MKKs/Su-30MK2s, 200 Su-27SKs and 50 J-10s will overwhelm you with long range ASMs. 

If you manage to destroyer our entire fleet(which is highly unlikely) you will have to face the thousands of coastal defence Silkwarm, Saccade, Fei long 2 Ship-skimming and supersonic ASMs. 

If you manage to land, we will attack you with the forces of the local military region and 15th Airborne division.  quickly arriving will be 250,000 mobile rapid reaction units.  If they are eliminated we will order the local militia to fight guerrilla warfare while we counterattack with 2 the two neigbhoring military regions plus the Jinan military region. 

After 2 Years of fighting we will have pushed the American out by force or they will chicken out due to plummeting morale and a unsportive media. 

At that point we will have successfully achieved Deng's "People's War under Modern Circumstances."

Edited by JiNanRen
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2005 at 22:15

these guys compared world navies and put Chinese navy at a 69.51, setting US Navy at 1000.0

what China spends on their entire military in one year, the U.S. navy will spend in a few monthes

Edited by I/eye
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 11:26

Anukhamar & Genghis,

I did not mean to offend you about the caste statement.  If I have, I am sorry.  That is what I keep seeing repeatly on may business article.  I hope I am wrong, because the caste system is just bad.  As I stated, I think the reason why India has not enjoyed the economic success that China has is because of corrpution.  Maybe you can shed some more indept knowledge on the "caste" system & why India economic development seems slow.  Needless to say, India's economic success will be great for the world economy.

Genghis, on the mock battle, that is what I read from the Wall Street Journal.  Maybe the Pentagon said that to get more money from Congress, maybe they are right.  Who is right?  I really don't know. 

As far as a cap, or price controls is concerned.  The U.S. Financial Goverment institution is a free market instituition.  We in the U.S. enjoys a lower interest & greater liquidity due to the transparency & free entry and exit to the market.  If you were to put a price control or caps, that would cause all foreigners to exit the market.  You are not letting the market decide on the price.  Also, if the foreigners realize that they cannot sell when they want to, that will cause the debt to depreciate in value.  Remember my earlier post, there is a inverse relationship between interest rates & price.  Since foreigners cannot sell their holdings of US debt, that will cause the value of the US debt to go down.  Hence a jump in the interest rates.  You can institute caps and price control, but in the long run, if the foreigners want to sell, they will.  It may not be one day, it could take up to a year.  But in the end, if the cap or floor was it place, US debt value will decrease, interest rates will rise, and the worse part is that foreigners will lose confidence in the US debt market.  That will keep our interest rates permanently higher than if we did not have the cap.  Confidence is easily lost, hard to achieve.

There is only one way for the US to get out of this mess.  We must pay down the debt.  The U.S. Government is borrowing too much money & to add fuel to the fire, American's are not savers (we are net borrowers, meaning we are living beyond our income).  That is why we need foreign money.  We need to spend less, buy less (like expensive homes), raise taxes on the rich, save more.  It is stuff like this that are the genesis of downfalls of great nations.

This is also the reason why we need India and China to get the the economic level of the US.  The world cannot depend on one economy to lift the world economy.  Some countries fear the economic rise of India and China, but in the long run, it is beneficial for the world economy. 

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 12:36

Genghis,

Also understand, if we did not trade with countries like China & India, the prices you pay will be a lot higher.  Higher prices equates to slower growth. 

Also there is a difference between the budget deficit and trade deficit.

Trade Deficit, we import more than we export.

Budget deficit, our government needs to borrow money to finance its activities.  Iraq, Afgan, etc...  Under normal situations, US Citizens would lend money to their government by directly buying US bonds (Like during WW II) or parking our savings into our individual bank accounts.  But in the last twenty to thirty years that has not been happening.  Americans are net borrowers.  So where does the US government get the funds, they get it in the Debt market and the Foreigners are buying it.  If the foreigners did not buy our debt, we would not be able to pay for our soliders salaries in Iraq!  You can say that the government can keep printing money, but if you do that that will cause the real value of the dollar to plunge.  Everything will be extremely expensive.  Even domestic goods will skyrocket in price.  Also your real income decrease.  Example, you make $100 a week & that can by you two bags of potatoes (each at $50).  If the USGovenment prints money like there is no tomorrow, you bag of potato will cost $80.  So you buy less potatoes.  A reduction in your buying power.

It took Clinton eight tough years to pay down the debt.  Actually it took a lot of hard work and a lot of luck (the rise of the internet and stock market).  It took Bush nine months to undo Clinton's work.  Yes, you can say 911, but his current plan is making the situation worse (tax cuts for the rich). 

In summary, as a tax paying American, we have to bring down the debt.  It will eventually kill us.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 15:59

Anukhamar & Genghis,

I did not mean to offend you about the caste statement.  If I have, I am sorry.  That is what I keep seeing repeatly on may business article.  I hope I am wrong, because the caste system is just bad.  As I stated, I think the reason why India has not enjoyed the economic success that China has is because of corrpution.  Maybe you can shed some more indept knowledge on the "caste" system & why India economic development seems slow.  Needless to say, India's economic success will be great for the world economy.

Genghis, on the mock battle, that is what I read from the Wall Street Journal.  Maybe the Pentagon said that to get more money from Congress, maybe they are right.  Who is right?  I really don't know. 

As far as a cap, or price controls is concerned.  The U.S. Financial Goverment institution is a free market instituition.  We in the U.S. enjoys a lower interest & greater liquidity due to the transparency & free entry and exit to the market.  If you were to put a price control or caps, that would cause all foreigners to exit the market.  You are not letting the market decide on the price.  Also, if the foreigners realize that they cannot sell when they want to, that will cause the debt to depreciate in value.  Remember my earlier post, there is a inverse relationship between interest rates & price.  Since foreigners cannot sell their holdings of US debt, that will cause the value of the US debt to go down.  Hence a jump in the interest rates.  You can institute caps and price control, but in the long run, if the foreigners want to sell, they will.  It may not be one day, it could take up to a year.  But in the end, if the cap or floor was it place, US debt value will decrease, interest rates will rise, and the worse part is that foreigners will lose confidence in the US debt market.  That will keep our interest rates permanently higher than if we did not have the cap.  Confidence is easily lost, hard to achieve.

There is only one way for the US to get out of this mess.  We must pay down the debt.  The U.S. Government is borrowing too much money & to add fuel to the fire, American's are not savers (we are net borrowers, meaning we are living beyond our income).  That is why we need foreign money.  We need to spend less, buy less (like expensive homes), raise taxes on the rich, save more.  It is stuff like this that are the genesis of downfalls of great nations.

This is also the reason why we need India and China to get the the economic level of the US.  The world cannot depend on one economy to lift the world economy.  Some countries fear the economic rise of India and China, but in the long run, it is beneficial for the world economy. 

Oh don't worry man, you didn't offend me at all, on the contrary, it's a pleasure discussing this with you as you are obviously very smart. 

As for the Wall Street Journal thing, maybe they're talking about a specific fleet without any reinforcements, that can be my only guess.

Other than interest rates, couldn't the US buy up excess dollars or threaten to do something equally bad to China if they did the dollar thing? 

And would confidence really be lost if we moved away from free market institutions during a major war with China.  How would that change the context?  Would it perhaps result in more capital coming into the United States as aggregate demand would skyrocket during a war?

Member of IAEA
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 17:51

Genghis,

Thank you for your kind words, but I an not smart.  I am a simpleton.

Anyway, I have a friend who subscribes to Jane's Defense.  He said we would lose to the Chinese Navy.  Lets hope we will never find out.

Here is the mechanics in the foreigners "bugging out" or the US Debt Market:1.  Foreigner sells US Debt. 2.  US has to get the US Dollars to pay off obligation.  3.  Foreigner takes proceeds from sale and convert US dollars to foreigner currency.

This has some really grave implications.  The selling of Debt will cause prices to decline.  Remember, the US is borrowing money, so we would have to print more money to pay for the debt being redeemed.  This causes our dollar to become worthless, just like what happen to South Korea during the late 90's.  They needed a big loan from the International Monetary Fund to bail them out.  No economy can take that one two punch at the same time.   That will cause our economy to implode.  You have Visa carging "Mafia" like rates and everything at Walmart cost a lot more because the dollar buys a lot less.

If the US choose not to honor their obligation, then we are technically in default.  Just like Russia after the Communist revolution and just recently with Russia.  We all know what happen to Russia after those two events.

No body will want to lend us anything at that point.  Would you lend money to a deadbeat?  Keep in mind also that when the Chinese sells, that will cause a price drop, prompting the others to cut their losses and leave the market.  The Bank of Korea last week denied for the second time that they had no intention to 'diversify' their holdings of foreign debt.  One denial is normal, a second denial means something is up.  The foreigners are already getting tired of financing our debt.  Imagine if we had a war.  In investing 101, it is called a "flight to quality".  Countries at war are not considered quality investments.

To remove ourselves from a free market economy is like going to a central planned economy (communism). The US economic is so strong because it is a free market economy.  The Chinese economy is growing faster than anybody else because they embrace a free market economy.  Where was China under Mao?  Where will the US be if we put caps and floors on our financial institutions?  If that were to happen, we would have a exodus of foreign capital from US markets.  Nobody, including China wants to see that.  Every major player in the world economy has their financial futures interwined.  When one sneezes, the other wipes their noses.

Outside of paying off our debt, I just don't know of any other solution.

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 09:25

I would like to comment:

First, I think that the economic illustrations made by Hugo and Jiang are interesting.  I learned alot from reading their accounts.   I appreciate the details that Hugo and Jiang posted in their comments to dissect and illustrate the pros and cons of war between the U.S. and China to both sides, especially economically. 

Genghis: I would like to add a few of my ideas to your topic with no bias to either side.

From a traditional point of view, the U.S. would be more useful to China as an ally than as a foe, and vice versa.  In my opinion, China's two greatest foes in the coming years will be: 1. Japan 2. Russia.  I also believe that, although the Cold War is over, Russia still stands as a potential threat militarily to the U.S.  It would be prepostreous for the U.S. to worry about the People's Liberation Army of China, because the PLA is even much less capable than the Russian or Ukranian military.  During the Cold War, the Pentagon had plans to use China as a buffer against the Soviet Union.  In case Russia rises economically, the U.S. can always use China as a chip to buffer Russian advancements.  If the United States and China go to war, which is unlikely and detrimental to both sides, Russia will benefit (so will Japan).

Now, let's follow with this unlikely hypothetical situation in which the United States and China do go to war.  China does not have the ability to invade the United States, and at the current rate, never will.  We can thus rule that out.  The United States has the ability to invade China, but at what cost?  I support the idea that millions of troops would be needed to fully occupy a nation that comprises 1/6 of the world's population.  Thus, we can also rule out the possibility of the United States ever invading China.  We can also rule out the use of nuclear arms on either side, because the possession of nuclear warheads by both sides means that neither side would risk using them.  In any case, we safely can rule out the possibility of a full scale war between the U.S. and China.  Genghis, what you proposed about splitting China into warlord factions is both ingenius (good thinking) and preposterous, very preposterous (you have neglected the presence of nationalism, strongly centralized government, and 95% Han ethnic majority in China)

What we have left is the possibility of a small scale regional conflict.  In that scenario, the technological, military, and intelligence advantages will fall heavily on the United States and the Pentagon.   The Chinese military is approximately equivalent of the U.S. military in the 1980s, with almost nothing to rival U.S. forces in terms of air force and navy.  In a traditional military confrontation, the United States will undoubtly possess enough superior technology and intelligence to gain the upper hand.  With the exception of one on one hand to hand combat (no army in the world can defeat the PLA in a hand to hand combat on land), the United States military will certainly destroy the Chinese military.

To be more specific, the United States will probably fully control the intelligence, as well as both air and sea.  China's navy will not stand a chance against its U.S. counterpart.  With full control of air and sea, the U.S. would be able to cripple the rest of the Chinese forces and easily win.

Now, what can China do to counter this seemingly one sided conflict?  In 1999, two colonels from the PLA published an essay on the potential use of asymetrical warfare.   Let us get to asymetrical warfare with an analogy.  The elephant is la arge and powerful animal, it can stamp out virtually any smaller animals in its path.  Nothing can stop it, right?  Yes and no.  No conventional animal that meets face to face with the elephant can stand up to the elephant.  How about a mouse?  A mouse, though not able to stand up conventionally to an elephant, simply needs to climb up the elephant's nose and choke it to death.  The only way for less powerful nations to defeat the United States military in war nowdays is through asymetrical and unconventional warfare, a type of war in which the strong cannot exert its strengths.  I will stop at this junction, because I am not qualified and knowledgeable enough to say more (for more information, do research).

In conclusion, what comes to the end is a battle of minds.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 11:07

Poirot,

I agree with your analysis.  The only thing that might throw it out is if Taiwan declares independence.

As I said, I am no military expert, but I don't think there will be any invasion by either side (US or China) to each other.  However, I see a naval battle.  Who will will?  I think it depends on how far from the Chinese coast the battle is.  If the US Navy gets too close to China's coast, they will have to contend with the Chinese Navy, Airforce and missile batteries.  That may be too much for any fleet. 

My friend (who has a subscription with Jane's Defense) told me that China is moderizing fast.  Case in point, they have four (projected six) of those Russian destroyers (Sovermrey) misspelling.  These destroyers have the famed Sunburn missles.  According to my friend, the US navy has no deterrent to those Sunburn missles.

In summary, I highly doubt there will be any armed conflict.  As stated by Poirot, China's biggest problem (and potentially greatest ally) is Japan.  Regardless, there are no winners in war.  Everybody loses.  Peace.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2005 at 15:55
Poirot, do you really think it is proposterous to break China up when China has historically had many periods of disunity, the most recent being during the Twentieth Century?
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>