Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China Versus USA (New World order)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China Versus USA (New World order)
    Posted: 14-May-2005 at 11:35

China will be the next world power.

More than a billion people and a china town in every western country

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 14:19

I really don't think China will be able to come close to reaching parity with the US for at least 100 years.

China's economy is still only about one-third of the US economy, and I don't think their economy is as good as they say it is. Every province says they have at least 8% growth but even the government admits that the countryside (i.e. not major cities and not along the coast), which is where 70% of their people live, has not had much growth in the past 15 years, so obviously there's some lying. A lot probably internally by provincial governors who want to look good to people in Beijing.

Another thing I heard was that in general a 1% increase in GDP costs a 2% increase in net power production, according to Chinese figures they're able to do that for only 0.8% increase in power output per 1% GDP growth. That would make real GDP growth roughly 2-3% annually.

Also, I just recently started reading this book called "China's Military Faces the Future", and it really makes me think that in a war against the US China would lose terribly. I have much less respect for their armed forces after reading that book. They have people and that's it. They have a lousy air force, a terrible navy, and a very poor logistical capacity. Even one Chinese general in that book said that the Chinese army has "short arms, and weak feet". Their modernization program doesn't sound that scary either, they can't afford to go all out or else they can't invest in their economy anymore, and even though they do have a lot of new military combat hardware, their noncombat support services are really terrible and are strained to support what they do have. Also, in a war where they have to draft a lot of people they'd almost certainly not be able to produce enough modern weapons for all those new troops, they don't even produce a lot of modern weapons now, just import them. Their own defence industry is like 1980's Soviet and American level, and they would be worked to the limit if they have to equip millions of new troops.

I think a war with them would look a lot like the Eastern Front in World War I, with a power that has a very well equipped and high quality army (in that case Imperial Germany and in this case us) fighting an army that's very poorly equipped and led, but gigantic in numbers (in that case Czarist Russia and in this case the PRC). Only the quantity vs. quality assymetry would be even more pronounced.

Member of IAEA
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 19:52

Originally posted by Genghis

I think a war with them would look a lot like the Eastern Front in World War I, with a power that has a very well equipped and high quality army (in that case Imperial Germany and in this case us) fighting an army that's very poorly equipped and led, but gigantic in numbers (in that case Czarist Russia and in this case the PRC). Only the quantity vs. quality assymetry would be even more pronounced.

In the Great War Russia was slowly exhausting Germany and, had it not been for the Russian revolution, would have probably defeated her. I agree that the hypothetical China/U.S war is analagous but, barring a revolution or massive chinese unrest during the war, I don't see how the U.S could win. Even if the formal chinese military was utterly defeated, how on earth could a few hundred thousand americans troops occupy, even temporarily, a nation filled with hundreds of millions of potential insurgents and guerillas?

At best the U.S might not lose such a war, but I see no way that they could actually win it.

"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 03:06

They could win by combining air power and using China's massive population as a weakness to exploit.  Bomb certain areas regarding the transportation of food and sanitation and disease will rip through that populace society like Jack the Ripper through a London hooker.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 06:59
If China invades USA, USA will win. If USA invades China, China will win. But if they attack each other and have a great war, EU will win.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 13:44
Originally posted by Herodotus

Originally posted by Genghis

In the Great War Russia was slowly exhausting Germany and, had it not been for the Russian revolution, would have probably defeated her. I agree that the hypothetical China/U.S war is analagous but, barring a revolution or massive chinese unrest during the war, I don't see how the U.S could win. Even if the formal chinese military was utterly defeated, how on earth could a few hundred thousand americans troops occupy, even temporarily, a nation filled with hundreds of millions of potential insurgents and guerillas?

At best the U.S might not lose such a war, but I see no way that they could actually win it.

Well yes, Russia was slowing exhausting Germany but I think Germany was very rapidly exhausting Russia, so in the stamina war Germany won and I think America could too.

I think there would be considerable unrest.  If America occupies the Yangtze River valley which produces most of their food, and a strong air campaign is launched against dams and powerplants, China will have a hard time feeding their massive population and providing basic living necessities.

The analogy is kind of limited by the fact that power projection capabilities now would allow the United States to attack and disrupt (I'm not going to say devastate because I don't want to make it seem like I think air power alone would win the war) the Chinese government and military with considerable strategic depth.

As for the occupation, I think it would require about 15 million troops if you use the traditional ratio of 1 soldier for every 80 occupied persons.  That is a big problem, but I don't think we should try to occupy them after we're done.  We should break them apart into a bunch of little Chinese states and hopefully that'll keep them "occupied".

Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by Tobodai

They could win by combining air power and using China's massive population as a weakness to exploit.  Bomb certain areas regarding the transportation of food and sanitation and disease will rip through that populace society like Jack the Ripper through a London hooker.

Exactly, that would have to be the linchpin of a war with China.

Member of IAEA
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 13:50
USA!USA!
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 15:09

I agree that we could severely damage, and reduce, the chinese population by attacking the nations infrastructure, but that would just cause further unrest. Look at Iraq, there is a massive insurgency problem caused by anger over the occupation, which is currently rebuilding the nation. Just imagaine the popular outrage in china if we were to purposefully kill millions of natives in an oocupation.

As for the occupation, I think it would require about 15 million troops if you use the traditional ratio of 1 soldier for every 80 occupied persons.  That is a big problem, but I don't think we should try to occupy them after we're done.

That's the problem, what if the Chinese refuse to let us be done. If we defeated the traditonal Chinese military and government, which is very likely, and then targeted the civilian infrasturcture to reduce the population, an insurgency would almost certainly arise. And, as we killed million of their countrymen, Chinese would flock to the rebels who promised to expel the invaders.

If we chose not to occupy the country and leave with rebels still in power, any progress we made would be errased. All that would have been achieved was a more violent, more nationalistic/anti-american and, probably, more totalitarian China that could explode onto the world stage in a few generations with even more power.

Any kind of occupation is assuming that the U.S is capable of raising tens of million more soldiers, which I would say is a financial impossibility, unless we were to withdrawel from everywhere else in the world. An offensive war launched by the U.S against China could only result in a loss of American power and, probably, financil collapse.

P.S--Though, a war in which the U.S merely defended its assets in Asia would be entirely winnable, and far more damaging to China than a botched occupation.

Edited by Herodotus

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 19:34

I agree that we could severely damage, and reduce, the chinese population by attacking the nations infrastructure, but that would just cause further unrest. Look at Iraq, there is a massive insurgency problem caused by anger over the occupation, which is currently rebuilding the nation. Just imagaine the popular outrage in china if we were to purposefully kill millions of natives in an oocupation.

As for the occupation, I think it would require about 15 million troops if you use the traditional ratio of 1 soldier for every 80 occupied persons.  That is a big problem, but I don't think we should try to occupy them after we're done.

That's the problem, what if the Chinese refuse to let us be done. If we defeated the traditonal Chinese military and government, which is very likely, and then targeted the civilian infrasturcture to reduce the population, an insurgency would almost certainly arise. And, as we killed million of their countrymen, Chinese would flock to the rebels who promised to expel the invaders.

If we chose not to occupy the country and leave with rebels still in power, any progress we made would be errased. All that would have been achieved was a more violent, more nationalistic/anti-american and, probably, more totalitarian China that could explode onto the world stage in a few generations with even more power.

Any kind of occupation is assuming that the U.S is capable of raising tens of million more soldiers, which I would say is a financial impossibility, unless we were to withdrawel from everywhere else in the world. An offensive war launched by the U.S against China could only result in a loss of American power and, probably, financil collapse.

P.S--Though, a war in which the U.S merely defended its assets in Asia would be entirely winnable, and far more damaging to China than a botched occupation.

You bring up some very good points Herodotus, and I understand your concerns.  I agree, we cannot afford a long occupation, the only way out of that that I see is to Balkanize China and create a lot of small competing warlords, or do to China what the USSR did to Eastern Europe, or we could allow chaos to rain in China and try to keep the mess from hitting us.  I prefer the Balkanization or USSR-style option.

This very reason is also one of the reasons I think India has to be on board and provide manpower.

Sorry if I can't provide more concrete answers, I understand your fear and I have ways I think we could deal with them, but there's no clear cut answer I can give you.

Member of IAEA
JiNanRen View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote JiNanRen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2005 at 20:28
A war between the United states and China is totally ludicrous and will only result in the dethronement of the US as the sole superpower and the end of period of sweeping modernization and industrialization for China.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 16:00
More than a billion people and a china town in every western country

The funny thing about 'Chinatowns' in the UK, is that very few Chinese people actualy live in them, they much prefer to live in the suburbs with all the other middle class Brits.
The whole 'Chinatown' stereotype strikes me as being very N. American centric.

But if they attack each other and have a great war, EU will win.

Maybe, but i hope for the City of London's sake that Lloyds doesn't insure warships

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:03

I do beleive that a limited victory for the United States would be possible utilizing some of the methods outlines by Genghis, but America would have to refrain from its' tendency to demand total victory and unconditional surrender. In that situation then, I don't see the gains of the victory being very substantial, certainly not proportionate to the expense of the war. However, I'm not a politician, and perhaps Americans in the fututre will see more of a benefit to instigating such a conflict.

sinosword View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sinosword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 17:43

Ha Ha, USA vs China in BF2

Click it http://www.eaplay.com/australia/movies/?addmovie=1406

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 20:53

I do beleive that a limited victory for the United States would be possible utilizing some of the methods outlines by Genghis, but America would have to refrain from its' tendency to demand total victory and unconditional surrender. In that situation then, I don't see the gains of the victory being very substantial, certainly not proportionate to the expense of the war. However, I'm not a politician, and perhaps Americans in the fututre will see more of a benefit to instigating such a conflict.

I agree with you, we'd have to be content to wreck China and factionalize them, knowing that that would keep them relatively innocuous for the the next 200 years or so.  I think that security gain would be worth it to a great extent, but if we rebuild China we'd probably just be setting the stage for another such war within the next century or so.

Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2005 at 20:57

Originally posted by JiNanRen

A war between the United states and China is totally ludicrous and will only result in the dethronement of the US as the sole superpower and the end of period of sweeping modernization and industrialization for China.

I'd see it starting more so from a situation similar to one like that between the US and Japan before Pearl Harbor.  And as it was then, I think it would be the result of a newly-powerful nation being caught up in the arrogance of it's new found wealth and military power that it would try to take on the economic and military equivalent of Godzilla.

Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 10:46
Thanks Genghis for your excellent military analysis. You could easily work for the Pentagon or a think tank doing this kind of work.

I want to discuss some other strategically problems that could arise with a war against China.

If China still holds large sums of dollars in the future, which they probably will, China can dump their U.S. currency into the market bringing down the value of the dollar in a single strike. This would effectively cripple the United States in two important ways: it would destroy the U.S. economy, leaving the U.S. with a war chest depleted before a single bullet has been fired. Yes, this will hurt Chinas finances too, but their economy would be destroyed anyway if the U.S. destroys their infrastructure.

Before the engagement, the U.S. would have to find suppliers for the many technological goods that it is already importing from China. A Chinese supply tech embargo would be devastating to the U.S.s war machine. For that matter, the U.S. would have to find alternative suppliers for the many products that it imports from China. Not an easy task.

Lets remember that China has nuclear weapons too. If the U.S. begins to engage in a massive invasion of Mainland China, the Chinese government would justifiably use nuclear head against the U.S.. Star Wars missile defense systems are as much science fiction as the movie they are named after.

Finally, no one has clearly stated what the U.S.s political goals in this war would be. Without clear political and strategic goals, there is no winning. Some of the scenarios discussed on this thread can easily lead to the never-ending armed conflict that Vietnam and Iraq turned into. If we apply the amount of resources used in Iraq to China, this alone can bring down the hegemony of the U.S..
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 14:06

Originally posted by hugoestr

Thanks Genghis for your excellent military analysis. You could easily work for the Pentagon or a think tank doing this kind of work.

I want to discuss some other strategically problems that could arise with a war against China.

Thank you for your praise, I really appreciate that.  I mean it, thanks,

If China still holds large sums of dollars in the future, which they probably will, China can dump their U.S. currency into the market bringing down the value of the dollar in a single strike. This would effectively cripple the United States in two important ways: it would destroy the U.S. economy, leaving the U.S. with a war chest depleted before a single bullet has been fired. Yes, this will hurt Chinas finances too, but their economy would be destroyed anyway if the U.S. destroys their infrastructure.

That's very true, they could dump our currency, but I don't know how bad that would be for us as I'm not an economics expert.  I suppose we could raise interest rates to curb the resulting inflation, or slow down money growth.  The Chinese might also be reluctant to throw away that money they'd probably want to buy weapons with.  I'll look into this a little more.  Thanks for bringing it up

Before the engagement, the U.S. would have to find suppliers for the many technological goods that it is already importing from China. A Chinese supply tech embargo would be devastating to the U.S.s war machine. For that matter, the U.S. would have to find alternative suppliers for the many products that it imports from China. Not an easy task.

I still think we would have an easier time finding alternative suppliers than they would alternative markets, not to say it wouldn't be a jolt to the economy.  I bet India and Southeast Asia could pick up some of the slack, as well as rationing at home if its really needed.  I'm also not so certain that technological goods are what they export the most of, I was under the impression it was still primarily textiles and other things made with cheap, unskilled labor that could be moved to other nations. 

Lets remember that China has nuclear weapons too. If the U.S. begins to engage in a massive invasion of Mainland China, the Chinese government would justifiably use nuclear head against the U.S.. Star Wars missile defense systems are as much science fiction as the movie they are named after.

Well, hopefully deterrence will work in this case (let's hope to God).  I also think that missile defense systems do have potential, tests even in the seventies of things like the Spartan and Sprint missile were able to intercept ICBM's.  Laser and particle beam weapons also offer potential if they are developed enough.  I really thing a missile defense system could work based on literature I've read.

Finally, no one has clearly stated what the U.S.s political goals in this war would be. Without clear political and strategic goals, there is no winning. Some of the scenarios discussed on this thread can easily lead to the never-ending armed conflict that Vietnam and Iraq turned into. If we apply the amount of resources used in Iraq to China, this alone can bring down the hegemony of the U.S..

I think our goals would have to the ending of the threat of Chinese military aggression in Asia and the deposition of the Communist government.  Installing a new democracy or "unconditional surrender" should be avoided because those are far more widereaching.  War would also not necessarily devastate us if we gear up for it like in World Wars I and II by raising taxes, conscription, and planning the economy for war.  However, trying to fight the war on a peacetime footing however would stretch us like we are now and as we were in Vietnam.

Member of IAEA
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 15:11
Genghis,

Thanks for your comments. Most of your alternatives are viable. Missile defense programs are a thread in itself, so I will not discuss them here.

China is slowly assuming a bigger role in electronic component manufacturing. You may be right that it is small at this point. In any case, China does provide a number of goods that Americans are used to buying for very little money. Having to find an alternative would be very costly and inflationary, unless it occurs gradually. The number of goods that China provides to the U.S. is probably going to rise in the future.

High inflation can really kill the economy. The Federal reserve can control normal flows of inflation, but a sudden dump of the currency cannot be slowed down by a rise in the interests rates.

I lived through this scenario when I lived in Mexico in the mid-1980s. The peso was devaluated from about 20 pesos a dollar to $3000. The middle class was practically wiped out in a few months. The interest rate was above 100%.

It is as close as one can get of having an economic nuclear bomb. In fact, the U.S. used a threat to dump British currency against Britain in the 1950s. Britain gave in.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2005 at 16:31

Genghis,

Thanks for your comments. Most of your alternatives are viable. Missile defense programs are a thread in itself, so I will not discuss them here.

China is slowly assuming a bigger role in electronic component manufacturing. You may be right that it is small at this point. In any case, China does provide a number of goods that Americans are used to buying for very little money. Having to find an alternative would be very costly and inflationary, unless it occurs gradually. The number of goods that China provides to the U.S. is probably going to rise in the future.

High inflation can really kill the economy. The Federal reserve can control normal flows of inflation, but a sudden dump of the currency cannot be slowed down by a rise in the interests rates.

I lived through this scenario when I lived in Mexico in the mid-1980s. The peso was devaluated from about 20 pesos a dollar to $3000. The middle class was practically wiped out in a few months. The interest rate was above 100%.

It is as close as one can get of having an economic nuclear bomb. In fact, the U.S. used a threat to dump British currency against Britain in the 1950s. Britain gave in.

I know that what you're talking about with the British currency manipulation. I read about it for a project about the Suez Crisis in school this year.  The world started trading in British pounds in a rapid manner and we refused to give them a loan to help them weather it, indeed, that was what made them stop the Suez Invasion in my opinion, regardless of all else.

The only thing I would wonder is if the Chinese possess a large enough share of our currency to do that to any worthwhile extent, after all, there are a lot of greenbacks out there.  When we did our trick on the British, America had an incredibly high share of the world GDP due to the destruction of the rest of the industrialized world and the fact that investors all over the world were dumping pounds.  I also hear a lot of trade in China has to be done in Yuan, and I'm not sure if their positive balance of payments necessarily means they have a lot of American dollars.  I'd have to check into that more.

As for the goods, I think the Chinese are often a lot more reliant on us buying their goods than we are on them selling them to us.  If we stop buying Chinese textiles, we can find alternate sources even if it means a jump in prices, they'll have trouble finding new markets, especially with an American blockade of China.  A lot of those items like ashtrays and Barbies are also non-strategic, if we relied on stuff from them like computers and aircraft, we'd be screwed but we can make that ourselves.  Places like Korea and Singapore would also probably jump at the oppurtunity to sell us electrical components when the Chinese won't, and a domestic production increase by people like Hewlett Packard could hopefully make up the loss of that supplier.  I'm not saying the loss of Chinese trade wouldn't be bad, but I doubt it would be catastrophic or insurmountable.  I also think it'd be a lot worse for China, especially because they have to import a lot of military hardware which would dry up during a war.

Edited by Genghis
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>