Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old age is creeping up upon me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old age is creeping up upon me
    Posted: 01-Jul-2013 at 01:58
On of the signs of imminent old age is when old wounds start to be troublesome, and new wounds just won't heal.  Three weeks ago I was using a diamond tipped drill bit to repair an elderly but much loved 
shot gun.  The bloody bit snapped ( I was bearing down too heavily on it ) and the broken bit drilled through my left hand index finger into the work bench. The pain wasn't too bad ( I was more pissed off at breaking a £20 drill bit ), and two large Scotches ( one for medicinal drinking purposes and one for medicinal antiseptic purposes - I soaked my finger in it ! ) and I was up and running about like a wet hen.

But ! Will the bugger heal ?  No it won't !  Being a finger of lesser importance, I am not unduly worried about it, after all I can always train its adjacent neighbour to inherit its functions, but, one would be a fool not to question the fingers stubborn reluctance to heal. Is that not so ?

Then again, alarm bells should have sounded when I was travelling in India last Autumn. On a very decrepit sleeper train pounding through the night on my way to Varanaisi, I needed to point Percy at the porcelain. Being as drunk as a skunk ( I shared a compartment with an Indian Army infantry Colonel and we had polished off two bottles of Scotch between us over and around, between and before dinner ), I staggered along the corridor wearing only a pair of skivvies and my flip flops. Getting to the self closing, spring loaded door of the bog, I contrived to get my right foot caught in the buggering door when it snapped shut like a steel trap. Bloody Hell, Marie Antoinettes guillotine couldn't have done a better job, and I find myself looking at most of my big toe rolling across the bog floor in a pool of my blood and the piss of untold generations of Indian train travellers.   Well, long story short, my pal the Colonel stitched it all up, we soaked a field dressing in " Chivas Regal " and bound the bugger up.  And has my foot healed eight months later ?   Three guesses -       Yes/ No / and Maybe !  That's right, you got it correct !
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2013 at 14:22
You might consider being tested for diabetes.  One of the principal warning signs in wounds that do not heal.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2013 at 16:02
A 2nd on MM's concerns.  However, age also depletes certain things needed for healing, like Zinc for example.  There are vitamin supplements that are formulated to promote healing, targeted at older folks.   
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2013 at 17:47
Actually, my friend, I have been diabetic since dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but only of the type that is capable of being controlled merely by diet. As for the suggestion as to the efficacy of zinc supplements, other than the element mercury, nothing sounds quite so metallic ( and therefore quite out of sympathy with the human body ) as zinc.   However, good advice well meant is without price, so I shall certainly investigate further. Thank you for that !       Personally, I suspect that being on four 250 mg. tablets of 
Phenoxymethyl penicillin potassium per day ever since I did a tour of duty in Vietnam over forty years ago may have something to do with my generally lacking resistance to infection ( by dint of the penicillin gradually being rendered ineffective ) , but all suggestions are gratefully received ! 
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2014 at 03:10
Originally posted by Marlin47

Actually, my friend, I have been diabetic since dinosaurs roamed the Earth, but only of the type that is capable of being controlled merely by diet. As for the suggestion as to the efficacy of zinc supplements, other than the element mercury, nothing sounds quite so metallic ( and therefore quite out of sympathy with the human body ) as zinc.   However, good advice well meant is without price, so I shall certainly investigate further. Thank you for that !       Personally, I suspect that being on four 250 mg. tablets of 
Phenoxymethyl penicillin potassium per day ever since I did a tour of duty in Vietnam over forty years ago may have something to do with my generally lacking resistance to infection ( by dint of the penicillin gradually <span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: rgba26, 26, 26, 0.296875; -webkit-com-fill-color: rgba175, 192, 227, 0.230469; -webkit-com--color: rgba77, 128, 180, 0.230469; ">being rendered ineffective ) , but all suggestions are gratefully received ! </span>

You also say that old age is creeping up on you. Mate, you're bloody lucky, it's passed me and I'm coming a poor second. On the serious side, I know what you mean. I had a back operation thirty odd years ago, and was warned that I could have problems in later life. Boy have I ever? Permanent back pain restricts what I can and can't do around the house and is a pain in the bum, no back!

Combine that with arthritis of the hip, Diabetes type 2, had a heart attack-now only about two thirds of my heart works and last year had a 5X Heart Bypass.

I'm bloody pleased I didn't drill my finger or chop my toe off
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 10:12
Well, to quote Mom Clay, who hits 89 this march, "getting old ain't for sissies". Wink 

I don't have a bad back, I have a tired one.  40 years of working in the Landscape industry has had it's effects.  That, along with "nurseryman's thumb" in both wrists, can make a cold winter morning, uncomfortable.  Also my inability to withstand temp. extremes in general, seems to be a product of aging.
I also believe that mindset has a lot to do with aging.  My wifes aunt will be 103 next month.  She doesn't pay much attention to it.  "It's just another stage of life".
Dad Clay will be 94 this july.  He has the attitude of  "If the War couldn't do me in,  what the hell's a few years". 

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 17:54
Very cool posts! Thanks for making me feel better!

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2014 at 18:32
They say that old age is a state of mind, and it certainly is. It's the state where your mind occasionally goes on vacation, short term memory fails, while you can remember with frightening clarity what happened fifty years ago.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 10:23
Originally posted by toyomotor

They say that old age is a state of mind, and it certainly is. It's the state where your mind occasionally goes on vacation, short term memory fails, while you can remember with frightening clarity what happened fifty years ago.

A quote from Dad Clay, "I can't remember what I had for breakfast most days, but I can tell you exactly what I had for breakfast Feb. 19th, 1945."

Unknown.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 14:44
Of course he can, because no ne else in the family was around and can now chllenge him on his "memory" of that breakfast.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 16:01
While there wasn't anyone in the family present, there were others that I have met who were.  At one of the last reunions of these folks this subject was discussed in detail.  "These folks" were all crew members of the LST 758, and Feb. 19th, 1945 was the first landings at Iwo Jima.  Something like that has a tendency to stick with you for the rest of your life.
Unfortunately, Dad is the last crewman alive, so there's no one left to confirm any breakfast details.
Smile
Unknown.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2014 at 18:12
What a great story! God bless you for it!

Regards always, Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2014 at 06:32
One other little story about my tour of India last year.      Every day I had a car, driver and guide for my personal use. These varied from place to place, but one theme was constant.  Without fail my drivers and guides would ask me if I could get them a job in England !  They were all invariably desperate to get out of India.  I was asked this question so many times that it became bloody tiresome. One one occassion I actually told my driver that he should convert to Judaism, at which point Israel would automatically grant him Israeli nationality and a job/home in Israel.  All three of us found my suggestion hysterically funny,
so much so that we had to pull over, park the car and recover from splitting our sides laughing !

The following day my driver said that he had Googled to find synagogues in India and made an appointment to visit a Rabbi in Calcutta.   Some few months after my return to England my wife showed me an article in her newspaper ;   A village near Calcutta had been visited by several Rabbis and the villagers had been found to be distantly related to one of the Lost Tribes of Israel and had been given Israel nationality and relocation to the Gaza Strip.  The article was headed by a picture of Ali, my driver, grinning like a Cheshire cat !
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2014 at 06:39
Originally posted by Marlin47

One other little story about my tour of India last year.      Every day I had a car, driver and guide for my personal use. These varied from place to place, but one theme was constant.  Without fail my drivers and guides would ask me if I could get them a job in England !  They were all invariably desperate to get out of India.  I was asked this question so many times that it became bloody tiresome. One one occassion I actually told my driver that he should convert to Judaism, at which point Israel would automatically grant him Israeli nationality and a job/home in Israel.  All three of us found my suggestion hysterically funny,
so much so that we had to pull over, park the car and recover from splitting our sides laughing !
The following day my driver said that he had Googled to find synagogues in India and made an appointment to visit a Rabbi in Calcutta.   Some few months after my return to England my wife showed me an article in her newspaper ;   A village near Calcutta had been visited by several Rabbis and the villagers had been found to be distantly related to one of the Lost Tribes of Israel and had been given Israel nationality and relocation to the Gaza Strip.  The article was headed by a picture of Ali, my driver, grinning like a Cheshire cat !

Who would have thought:) I'd love to have Irish citizenship, but my Irish ancestry is too far back. I'm not real keen to convert to Judaism and move to Israel, and any other suggestion I could make may be considered racist.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2014 at 15:16
Go to Southern Bavaria, there's almost as many Irish as German, wellll, a bunch of em, anyway. Big smile

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply