Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most decadent civilisation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most decadent civilisation
    Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 20:59
Nearly every civilisation has undergone three distinct stages: aggression and expansionism, wealth and decadence, and finally decline and fall. The Roman emperors enjoyed orgies with men and women, the ancient Greeks buggered young boys, and the Egyptian kings committed incest with close relatives. Even the Israelites frequented temple prostitutes and sacrificed their own children to Baal. Of all the ancient civilisations of the ancient world, which one was the worst?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Shamshir View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Shamshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 22:48
The Assyrians. Their savagery had no limits.
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 23:23
The Islamic . As far as motivated violence is concerned.

Though it was violent right from the beginning, it got civilized with contacts with Persia , Byzantium Egypt and India.  The Umayyad and the Abbasids were intelectually  sophisticated. After them, Islamic civilization ceased to contribute to human welfare.

Even today, you can see the savagery in North Africa and Palestine where beheadings, amputations and religious mass murders are rampant.  Even in Thailand, Buddhists are beheaded regularly.

The Irony is , Al Quaedas funding comes from the Gulf countries--apparently quoted to prove Islamic civilization.
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2013 at 23:45

Oh sorry Nick ..i didn't note your Question properly. You ask about ancient civilizations dont you?

If you ask about contemporary civilization, my answer is Islamic.

In the ancient world, the Assyrians were probably very nasty and were sure to collapse.

Babylon under Hammurabi had it coming.Lay people talk of his code without noting how cruel and vengeful it was. 

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2013 at 00:34
By reputation, or maybe we should say myth/legend, Sodom and Gomorrah.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2013 at 04:22
Originally posted by Nick1986

Nearly every civilisation has undergone three distinct stages: aggression and expansionism, wealth and decadence, and finally decline and fall. The Roman emperors enjoyed orgies with men and women, the ancient Greeks buggered young boys, and the Egyptian kings committed incest with close relatives. Even the Israelites frequented temple prostitutes and sacrificed their own children to Baal. Of all the ancient civilisations of the ancient world, which one was the worst?

Cannibals of Africa maybe? Who knows... In modern Afghanistan there is still a tradition about dancing boys that are also sodomized by older men, so those ancient habbits didn't die out. 

I think that the most dehumanized tradition is neither sexual perversions, nor incest, but cannibalism. Eating humans was never a recorded practice in the history of Greece, Rome or Egypt. Cannibalism, which still exists, has always been a tradition found in cultures near the Equator (tropical zone).
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
barcelonic View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote barcelonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 09:56
Certainly the Romans enjoyed decadence and I would say the Greeks absolutely, but to be honest in terms of the love of throwing away ones religious and family values for the sake of unadultereated hedonism I would suggest that trophy belongs to the modern civilisation - The West

Historically though, it may also be worth looking at Persia :)

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jiddu Krishnamurti

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 10:32
Yeap,before Cristianity&Islam we were all Decadent,barcelonic!We belive in other religius dream.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 12:32
Why do the people say Assyrians ?(Shamshir-Suryavajra)
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 13:01
Interesting how quick we are to judge the ancients based on our own moral code of today, which has absolutely no relevance or applicability to the ancient realms.

If history has taught us nothing else, it is that Man is not at heart a moral animal, but rather one who is driven by his base instincts.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 15:23
I do not think Decadent means pejorative at all!For new religions it was...It is still..
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 15:36
Divine character adores religious dream all around the world.We are all divine creations by the way.God creates us.We still have different names for Creator.If it is so,why decadent has to be bad???Big smileIf i use Ancient Egyptian last two sentences could have been spoken with 15 syllables.
barcelonic View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote barcelonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2013 at 23:27
is there a reason why religion seems to be popping up quite a lot (or in every post since mine)?

How is that a factor in the decadence of a civilisation?

:)

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Jiddu Krishnamurti

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2013 at 00:04
Do you think religion needs new upgrade?!?SmileNo more popping,please!
Attis of Anatolia View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Attis of Anatolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2014 at 07:57
%100 Assyrians are bad , they killed many anatolian they sacked our land!!!
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2014 at 17:57
There seems to be massive confusion and misunderstanding over the actual subject, which is decadence, not savagery.

The Romans probably place at or near the top in this category.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2014 at 19:35
Yes, it's gone off on a toot.  I'll try to back up MM here and get it back in line.

My votes go to 3, the Etruscans, the Minoans, and the Romans.  

Decadence (originally meaning "decline") usually means a perceived decay in standards, morals, dignity, religious faith, or leadership among the members of the elite of a large social structure. By extension, it may mean a decline in art or literature, or (very loosely) to self-indulgent behaviour.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply