Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The perils of statins.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The perils of statins.
    Posted: 30-May-2013 at 02:08
I have long resisted the blandishments of my G.P. in his insistence that I should start taking statins to reduce the chloresterol levels in my blood. Having read much of their possible side effects of paranoia,delusions, feelings of persecution etc, I decided that they are not for me.

However, recent blood tests convinced me to start a course of them. Sure enough I immediately suffered with the most terrible of nightmares. These would cause me to wake up shaking violently, feeling terrified and almost wanting to keep a loaded shotgun under my bed. Night after night these awful dreams left me drained and shocked every morning and often having had little or no sleep at all.

Last week I went to my Thai masseuse in order to relax. She ( who knows about these things ) insisted that I immediately buy a pair of the most expensive goose down pillows that I could afford. I rang Harrods from her salon and had a pair delivered later that day. They were eye wateringly expensive.
I have slept on these things every night now for nearly a week. Every night I have enjoyed the most tranquil, peaceful and calming sleep and don't even need to get up to take a leak. I say to anyone who sleeps badly to remortgage the house, extend your credit card limit, sell the wife into slavery, but get a pair of goose down pillows !
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 10:48
Hell, Marlin47, I'm not sure what is worse, you take a tablets and you become paranoid, you take a tablet and you become delusional, or you take a tablet and you have feelings of persecution. Although thinking about it, it pretty well covers it I think when you become paranoid totally, you become delusional and gain feelings of persecution too. Hoping those symptoms didn't come to you at all, Marlin47. This isn't any of my business really, Marlin47, but are you able to describe much about the nightmare. I only ask as I was wondering if you were experiencing anxiety about the possibility of taking the tablets, which then translated itself into nightmares when you started taking them. Only a though.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 12:35
One tiny tablet per day and you can take your pick of a positive cornucopia of horrible negative experiences, of which paranoia, persecution and disorientation are the least objectionable. Insofar as my erstwhile nightmares are concerned, whilst I wake up in a muck sweat having had one, I am fortunate inasmuch as I recall virtually no detail, merely that I have just dreamt something horrible. Most of them are of fantastical nature akin to the experiences I had when taking LSD many years ago, that much I can recall. Sometimes they feature family members, but, fortunately, not often. Generally I have dream free sleep and nightmares are blessedly rare ; but not since I started taking statins !  I had this same experience some years ago when statins were first available, but then I ascribed the effect to overwork
and job related stress. In order to recover I went to work in Havana for a year or so, but even that brought its own peculiar nightmares, of which more later, perhaps.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 20:12
Marlin, I'm 66 and have a bad cholesterol reading of 73, total reading 157.  I have never taken statins, however, I have been on Niacin tabs since I was 40.  If you look carefully, most statins rely on Niacin as a basic component.  I personally think the statins are just for the wussies who can't handle the Niacin "flush".  My internist had me add an aspirin to the Niacin.  For me, it's very effective.  And no side effects.  I also just about eat anything I wish.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2013 at 22:13
My recent problems have been according to the wackos in white are and spread in combinations of response varying from genetics and exposure to ''we don't know.'' ''but we will send ya to the experts in Denver for an exam.''

Consequently pills would never suffice as I reject all manmade factory based pharms.... where for all I know they may be including ratshit to bleach..... and thus.... rely on native agave and tiswin.

It has cleared the air, reduced snoring and helps to eliminate gas.

Amen.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 04:19
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

My recent problems have been according to the wackos in white are and spread in combinations of response varying from genetics and exposure to ''we don't know.'' ''but we will send ya to the experts in Denver for an exam.''

Consequently pills would never suffice as I reject all manmade factory based pharms.... where for all I know they may be including ratshit to bleach..... and thus.... rely on native agave and tiswin.

It has cleared the air, reduced snoring and helps to eliminate gas.

Amen.

Broadly speaking I ascribe to the same views as you, amigo, and even eschew painkillers in favour of cannabis to help with the pain of old war wounds.    Tiswin I am familiar with, but prefer mescal, but agave.....youve lost me there, compadre. Some years ago after a bad car crash in a blizzard on their reservation ( Wyoming or North Dakota, I can't recall, I spent most of my time there as drunk as a 
skunk ), I was adopted by the Crow tribe. They favour a drink which is a distillation of  " Green Lizard " hair lotion and spruce bark.  It tasted like shredded truck tyres boiled in cat's piss, but was improved no end if one chewed on a chaw of tobacco at the same time......come to that, it was vicky verca with the booze improving the taste of the chaw, too,so that's a win - win for all, ain't it !

Reducing gas is of particular interest to me.  My wife has just bought a Boston terrier. The little ferker kicks seven buckets of shite out of my gun dogs ( and I have trained him to bring down magpies and rooks in flight ), but his anal exhalations will strip the paint off the walls at fifty feet ( apparently, according to Wikipedia, they are known for it ). Any suggestions on that score, amigo ?

One last thing, never mind that I am a direct descendant of the Boleyn family, never mind that I fought in two wars for my country, the one thing that will be enscribed on my gravestone ( or the Tupperware box that my wife may keep my ashes in ), is that I was the Englishman who introduced " Maker's Mark "
fine Kentucky Bourbon into the UK, and within a country where the English drink tea and gin, where the Scots drink flavoured Loch water, and where the Irish drink one another's blood, ( what do the Welsh drink ?..........don't go there  ! ), my achievement is of no little order !
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 10:39
Flavored Loch Water? Watch your tongue laddie.  It takes a man to drink the "real stuff".Tongue

On the subject of Gas,  I once had a dog that was a Collie-Eastern Coyote Hybrid.  His gas could change the chemical composition of ceramic tile.Big smile  The Vet we used was an old timer,  mainly did large animals, horses, cows etc.  He gave us pills, the main ingediant was Alphalfa.  There are several versions of them still available.  All natural stuff, but effective as hell.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Marlin47 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Marlin47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2013 at 11:05
I've heard it said that charcoal is also effective. Funnily enough, my dogs ( I have four ) all clamber over themselves to snatch at burnt log embers from around the huge open fireplace we have in the Great Hall. One can even smell their coats singeing when they get too close !   They don't suffer from flatulence.
It is only the wife's Boston terrier who doesn't do this, and he is emits the ghastliest of farts !

On the subject of Scotch, I am lucky enough to have many good friends in the USA.  One had a thriving business in White Plains, New York State and commuted from Greenwich, Conn.     Last year he sold his business for a trillion bucks and my wife and I flew over to celebrate with him.  His house in Greenwich puts Buckingham Palace to shame, and, as is his wont, he lavished the most extraordinary hospitality on us. He even arranged for a Boeing B 17 Flying Fortress to divert from its flight path en route to the Grumman Aircraft plant on Long Island and fly circles around us firing flares ( it was my birthday ! ).

Later than night our pre dinner cocktails were stupendous, as was his selection of spirits. I was drinking a superb single malt, my wife was sipping absinthe. My chum produced a dusty bottle of eighty year old Macallan. Way to go ! thought I, we are now in for a right, Royal treat. But no, whilst he was embarrassingly apologetic, and professed his love for us both dearly, he wouldn't part with the merest drop, saving it all for himself ! How peculiar. What is one to make of that !
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2014 at 03:11
Originally posted by Marlin47

I have long resisted the blandishments of my G.P. in his insistence that I should start taking statins to reduce the chloresterol levels in my blood. Having read much of their possible side effects of paranoia,delusions, feelings of persecution etc, I decided that they are not for me.
However, recent blood tests convinced me to start a course of them. Sure enough I immediately suffered with the most terrible of nightmares. These would cause me to wake up shaking violently, feeling terrified and almost wanting to keep a loaded shotgun under my bed. Night after night these awful dreams left me drained and shocked every morning and often having had little or no sleep at all.
Last week I went to my Thai masseuse in order to relax. She ( who knows about these things ) insisted that I immediately buy a pair of the most expensive goose down pillows that I could afford. I rang Harrods from her salon and had a pair delivered later that day. They were eye wateringly expensive.
I have slept on these things every night now for nearly a week. Every night I have enjoyed the most tranquil, peaceful and calming sleep and don't even need to get up to take a leak. I say to anyone who sleeps badly to remortgage the house, extend your credit card limit, sell the wife into slavery, but get a pair of goose down pillows !

For some us who've had a heart attack and Coronary Bypasses, there is little alternative if we want to live. Taking statins every day for the rest of my life, however short or long that may be, is preferable to the alternative.
 Post Reply Post Reply