Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim in Lesvos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim in Lesvos
    Posted: 10-Apr-2013 at 01:54
Originally posted by TITAN_

As far as I know, Turkish-speaking populations are found mostly in villages in Western Thrace, outside the cities of  Komotini and Xanthi.

but they are Turks, like some of in Rhodes and Kos. Their didn't affect the exchange agrement.

I am asking that Is there any greek community(maybe elder ones) who still use Turkish because many greek's mother tongue was also Turkish in Anatolia 

nearly, 10% of Greek Island Population was Turk, but why don't exist in old ethnic maps?

Just a few of them, is showing them in Greek Islands

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 09:07
As far as I know, Turkish-speaking populations are found mostly in villages in Western Thrace, outside the cities of  Komotini and Xanthi.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 04:48
I am 25% "Adalı" (which means Islander). One of my grandma(her ancestry) have come from Lesvos. I don't know when or where. As the Europeans says, "Turks even don't know where is his grandparents graves". This idiom have been said for showing low history knownlegde of Ottoman Turks.  

I few months ago I have finished this book     "The occupation dairy of Lesvos (1912)"  
Then some questions came to my mind, now I have to ask them.

*Is there any sources about muslim population percent in Lesvos? According to Turkish sources, it was 15% in 1887 (Total Island population was 95000) and you have any sources between 1850-1920?

*In 1923, before exchange population was 7000 Turk- 33000 Greek 

*How many ottoman mosques are in records in Lesvos?

*Is there any old map which figures muslim population in Lesvos?

*and final one the Name of Turkish village or place where ottoman turks lived

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are general questions

-Does any Turkophone still exist in Greece? Did they completely  be assimilated? like Cretean Turks

-Is there any Crypto-Turk in Greece for example maybe in Crete?

-Does Greece have any suprising news? like this 
 Turkish mountains where they still speak Ancient Greek
One of the great population movements of modern times was the "exchange of populations" that took place in 1923 between Turkey and Greece. Neil Trevithick recently visited northeastern Turkey with the descendants of the Pontic Greeks, who were forced to leave more than 90 years ago.

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12