Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair
    Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 14:03
Not the rock opera, but real hair, the stuff on our bodies and heads.

Take a moment and think about it.  It's really just vestigal fur left over from our more hirsute period of history.  Interestingly, it remains in only a few locations on our bodies in any abundance, and in the case of head hair, not always then, either.

But when, where, how and why did humans begin to make a fashion statement out of their remains head fur?  A fashion commitment that has become a multi-billion dollar industry all over the world and is constantly growing, kind of like our hair does?

A lot more sensible and convenient if Man had just gotten into the habit of cutting it all off and leaving it that way, considering the time, energy and money we spend hiring others to take it off for us, cut it, trim it, color it and even fake it (wigs, etc.)

So let's consider and discuss the rational behind "hair" as it applies to Man in the 21st century.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 17:03

I just shave my hair with a shaver. I guess we both agree that spending money on your hair is futile and unnecessary!

As to the history of using hair as an accessory of beauty I'm not sure when it started. In movies they always show prehistoric man with beaded hair. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that's just for the effects and not really historically accurate.

But the history aside, we have evolved with hair on our heads and we're programmed to like hair and tweeking with it. Are you saying that if everyone decided to shave their heads then in a few generations no one would care about hair?

Timidi mater non flet
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 19:46
I suspect that would be the case, and we would probably react badly to someone with hair.

Our hair fetish is an acquired taste, and an expensive one, that makes zero sense functionally.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 20:40
FURTHERMORE AS A MEDICO AND GI YA KNOW IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS TO KEEP CLEAN. AND WILL CONTRIBUTE TO CRITTERS USING IT FOR A HOME; THAT CAUSE DISEASE.

NOT GOOD FOR OPERATIONAL READINESS..

HMM I'M ON CAPS FOR SOME REASON.

I BLAME THE HIPPIES. NOT ONLY FOR THE CAPS GLITCH BUT JUST ABOUT EVERYHTING I NEED TO LAY A ROOT CAUSE TOO. f*CKING DOPERS. USELESS.
WASTING AIR THAT FISH NEED.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 09:04
The sounds that come from someone who no longer has hair to worry about?

I love hair.  When I was in Uni I had a pony tail to my waist.  Up until last month it was shoulder length.  However, long hair is just as much work, or more, than short hair.

No hair is less work, but ya still have to simionize the pate.Big smile 

Edited by red clay - 06-Apr-2013 at 09:13
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 10:48
No, in fact I still have all my hair.  Never got to wear it long.  It wasn't the fashion when I was in school, and I went straight into the Army, where very little hair was the requirement, and then into the Airborne where a shaved head was the norm because wearing a jump helmet made anything but shaved a howling discomfort.

I grew up with short hair and I still keep it that way.  My wife forbids me to shorten it any more than it is.

just a question that I thought might promote a decent discussion.

Why are we so caught up in our hair fetish, worrying about it, pampering it and spending billions to have it cut when it grows and styled and colored?

What is it about Man that drives that particular obsession?  And it is an obsession by every definition of the term.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 13:35
Sexual attraction might have something to do with it.  Also, when you think about it, it's the only part of our physical personna we have any control of.  It was the only way to personalize your appearence.  Religion takes a part also.  But it's hard to tell if it came first, was the iniating influence, or a result of personal awareness.

A side note, long hair wasn't in fashion in general when I was in school as well. However, it was in fashion in the music biz and seeing as how that was what was paying my bills, I followed fashion.  By the time I hit college, it didn't matter one way or the other.

Edited by red clay - 06-Apr-2013 at 13:41
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 16:40
''Why are we so caught up in our hair fetish, worrying about it, pampering it and spending billions to have it cut when it grows and styled and colored?''

You already know the answer...tho, imo, your natural proclivity to promote your alleged agnosticism is again showing and perhaps in question.....perhaps this is a subconscious move to the Cross.

''Then I considered all that my hands had done and the toil I had expended in doing it, and behold, all was vanity and a striving after wind, and there was nothing to be gained under the sun.''

Eccl. 2-11

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 18:43
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

You already know the answer...tho, imo, your natural proclivity to promote your alleged agnosticism is again showing and perhaps in question.....perhaps this is a subconscious move to the Cross.

What in the bleep are you talking about?  And how does my belief figure into this discussion in any way?  We're discussing hair, not religion.  Disapprove

Edited by Mountain Man - 06-Apr-2013 at 18:43
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 04:59
You asked: ''Why are we so caught up in our hair fetish, worrying about it, pampering it and spending billions to have it cut when it grows and styled and colored?''

The answer is still obvious. Reread the scripture and then put that master medico mind of the front slope back into first gear.....running in third like that is bad for your bp.

Draw the nexus. It has nothing to do with your faith or lack thereof I suppose but it does have to do with the reference to the scripture being made.

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 10:37
In the first place, there is no reference to scripture anywhere but in your post.  Apparently you have some issues there.

I'm talking about biology and sociology, or I was until you hijacked the thread and closed down the discussion while managing to cast aspersions on my personal beliefs and my intelligence in the process.

Did you just violate your own rules of conduct?  It looks to me like you did.

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 12:59
I was talking about vanity. As does the scripture relate. That is the answer to the original post. It was hijacked in your mind not in actuality.

''Did you just violate your own rules of conduct''.

Dunno did I? Btw their your rules as well so follow them.

Iow. Nor were you being attacked. But if you perceive it; then you know the drill. Report it as per the Coc. Otherwise quit acting like a 12 year old female whose first experiencing menstruation.

Your to old for it and you should know better. That was member to member.

Now as Mod to member... your thread is locked. Until reviewed by higher authority reference your complaint. Which I will personally forward to the owner-admin.

We aim to please.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 07-Apr-2013 at 13:06

S. T. Friedman

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 13:32
thread unlocked.

Mountain Man,  Turn your gain up and filter out the noise.Big smile  Sounds like CV is testing out a new batch.

However, vanity certainly played a part at some time.  Religous conventions as well, the Hasids are a good example. 
Earlier, grooming might have signaled a successful person.

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 19:05
Mountainman, hair was a fashion statement for Europeans long before the Hippies and Mods. Since ancient times it has been used by various civilisations as a mark of identification:
Egyptians shaved their heads to keep cool in the heat
Jews were forbidden to cut their hair or beards, perhaps to set themselves apart from the Egyptians
Persians grew long, curled beards as protection from the desert winds
Celtic warriors wore moustaches and spiky hair to appear taller
Romans cropped their hair short and shaved their beards so enemies couldn't grab hold of them.
Vikings had long hair and beards to display their health and virility. Short hair was the mark of a slave.
Catholic priests shaved their heads to remove their individuality and proclaim themselves part of the collective church.
Medieval noblemen had pageboy cuts and bowl cuts to demonstrate they could afford their own barber
During the 16th century, men wore short hair and beards in imitation of the ancient Greeks
In the 17th century, long hair was prevalent
Georgian fops shaved their heads and wore wigs to keep the lice away
Regency dandies like Beau Brummel curled their hair
Victorian gentlemen had bushy beards or sideburns
From the Edwardian era until the 1960s, men wore variants of the short-back-and-sides, or the crew cut popularised by WWI soldiers.
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 23:11
Visually hair identifies a person culturally. Even when a person rebels with the style, it still places them in a certain group. As there are certain identifying features when it comes to hair, IMHO, hair as an identifying medium very probably predates homosapiens.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2013 at 10:02
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Visually hair identifies a person culturally. Even when a person rebels with the style, it still places them in a certain group. As there are certain identifying features when it comes to hair, IMHO, hair as an identifying medium very probably predates homosapiens.

You could link this thread to the KimJong Un thread.  His haircut certainly distinguishes him from anyone else.
I do believe if someone cut my hair like that, I would have to hurt them. TongueBig smile

Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 20:32
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

You could link this thread to the KimJong Un thread.  His haircut certainly distinguishes him from anyone else.
I do believe if someone cut my hair like that, I would have to hurt them. TongueBig smile

Strangely enough, I've seen a lot of hipsters in the UK with the same haircutLOL
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2013 at 21:45
Originally posted by Nick1986

Mountainman, hair was a fashion statement for Europeans long before the Hippies and Mods. Since ancient times it has been used by various civilisations as a mark of identification:
Egyptians shaved their heads to keep cool in the heat
Jews were forbidden to cut their hair or beards, perhaps to set themselves apart from the Egyptians
Persians grew long, curled beards as protection from the desert winds
Celtic warriors wore moustaches and spiky hair to appear taller
Romans cropped their hair short and shaved their beards so enemies couldn't grab hold of them.
Vikings had long hair and beards to display their health and virility. Short hair was the mark of a slave.
Catholic priests shaved their heads to remove their individuality and proclaim themselves part of the collective church.
Medieval noblemen had pageboy cuts and bowl cuts to demonstrate they could afford their own barber
During the 16th century, men wore short hair and beards in imitation of the ancient Greeks
In the 17th century, long hair was prevalent
Georgian fops shaved their heads and wore wigs to keep the lice away
Regency dandies like Beau Brummel curled their hair
Victorian gentlemen had bushy beards or sideburns
From the Edwardian era until the 1960s, men wore variants of the short-back-and-sides, or the crew cut popularised by WWI soldiers.

Thank you, Nick.  That actually makes since.  I know shaved heads were the norm in my airborne unit because otherwise the discomfort caused by hours and hours a day strapped into a jump helmet would drive you mad, and when I rode a motorcycle I kept it short for the same reason.  Too hot in Texas to be sweating inside that helmet.

While we're listing hair peculiarities, the Sikhs are another group that do not cut their hair, and the Japanese samurai never cut their que.

Edited by Mountain Man - 19-Apr-2013 at 21:46
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 22:14

Here's an example of how hairstyles changed within a generation: above is James I with full beard and short hair brushed away from his face (1600s-1620s). Below is his son Charles with shoulder length hair and pointed goatee (1620s-40s):

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2013 at 23:39
Ah, yes...the Peacock Age when men wanted to go around looking like women.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>