Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sassanid conquest of Palestine (614 AD)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sassanid conquest of Palestine (614 AD)
    Posted: 01-Apr-2013 at 19:44

I've been doing some research on the Byzantine-Sassanid wars and I am very much interested in the battles that led to the conquest of Palestine. I am aware that there are very few sources that describe exactly what happened between 614 and 629 AD when Heraclius defeated the Persians but I wanted to read all the available sources. To be more specific, my aim is to find out more about the composition of the Persian army and even information on the garrison that was present in Jerusalem at the time. I also heard that an ''Arab warband'' helped the Persians throughout this campaign as well as Jewish militias drafted both locally and from Persia. Who are these Arab warbands? Lakhmids?

I would appreciate any sources that you can provide.

Timidi mater non flet
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2013 at 20:13

So far I have found this source written by a Georgian called Strateg
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/antiochus_strategos_capture.htm

Timidi mater non flet
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2013 at 18:41
Was this period before or after the Persians had converted to Islam? I'm guessing the Arab warband were kin to the Persian leader: perhaps by marriage? 
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2013 at 16:55
Originally posted by Nick1986

Was this period before or after the Persians had converted to Islam? I'm guessing the Arab warband were kin to the Persian leader: perhaps by marriage? 

Of course before. This was even before Arabs conquered Palestine and Persia. The Byzantine-Sassanid war had reached a terrible climax after a few decades of relative truce. The Byzantines were somewhat weakened and forced to shift their armies to Constantinople where they were fighting the Avars.

Khosrau saw this as a great chance to strike the Byzantines while they were down. He easily crushed the few armies left to defend the border and plundered Antioch. Then he sent his general Sharbaz alongside some Jewish militias drafted from Persia as well as along the way. They became a sizeable portion of the force attacking Jerusalem and the siege easily led to the city's capture.

I heard that some sources mentioned the presence of a certain ''Saracen'' warband but I thought I could know more about this. These were turbulent times. Hard to get specific information on anything.

Timidi mater non flet
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2013 at 15:08

As I have found there is almost no Persian source which describes this conquest, of course there are some mentions, but I think most of our info is from the Byzantine and Jewish sources.

In Shahnameh we read about Jerusalem with different names, such as "Dej Hukht Gang", "Kang Dej Hudj" (its Parthian name), "Iliya" (the name which was given to this city by Zahhak, an evil king of Arabs), and finally "Khaneh Pakan" (House of Pure People) and "Bayt al-Muqaddas", but we read nothing about this city in the Sassanid era, it is interesting that Ferdosi had a very negative view of the great Persian general Shahrbaraz, in Shahnameh Shahrbaraz with the name of Shahran Goraz, is called as "Negahban-e Rum" (Protector of Rome), and when he seized the throne, he is mentioned as the first destroyer of the Persian empire.
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 08:00
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

As I have found there is almost no Persian source which describes this conquest, of course there are some mentions, but I think most of our info is from the Byzantine and Jewish sources.

In Shahnameh we read about Jerusalem with different names, such as "Dej Hukht Gang", "Kang Dej Hudj" (its Parthian name), "Iliya" (the name which was given to this city by Zahhak, an evil king of Arabs), and finally "Khaneh Pakan" (House of Pure People) and "Bayt al-Muqaddas", but we read nothing about this city in the Sassanid era, it is interesting that Ferdosi had a very negative view of the great Persian general Shahrbaraz, in Shahnameh Shahrbaraz with the name of Shahran Goraz, is called as "Negahban-e Rum" (Protector of Rome), and when he seized the throne, he is mentioned as the first destroyer of the Persian empire.

I find this extremely peculiar, Cyrus. It was very customary for the Persians to flaunt their victories over the Romans as much as was possible. I don't need to remind you of the carving of Shapur and Valerian or other monuments to Persian victory over Rome. So do you think it's possible that there were records but were destroyed later on either during the conquest of Persia by the Arabs or when the library of Baghdad was set on fire? I mean the shear volume of books that were burned there means that we lost many precious sources which we will never recover.

You mentioned that Shahrbaraz was called a protector of Rome but I don't understand why. Maybe it was a way to blame the later defeat on him? Or did Ferdausi see him as a traitor?

Just as a note, it's true the Arabs called Jerusalem ''Iliya'' but this was originally a Roman name given to the region ''Aelia Capitolina''.

Timidi mater non flet
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2013 at 10:15
There were certinaly many important events in the last decades of the Sassanid empire that we know almost nothing about them, one of the main reason is that this empire could never experience peace and stability during this time, in fact it can be said the Sassanids couldn't celebrate and memorize their last victories becuase of frequent fights for the throne and devastating defeats from the Byzantines and then Arabs, of course it is also possible that many evidences were destroyed by the later conquerors.

About Shahrbaraz, the fact is that it was just a title of Sassanid generals which meant "the Boar of the Kingdom", I have read some different names about the actual name of the Sassanid general who conquered Jerusalem, such as Farrokhan, Rasmiozan and Romizan, the last one could be aslo a Persian nickname meaning "Beater of Romans". Anyway Shahran Goraz in Shahnameh was probably none of them.
 Post Reply Post Reply