Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alusharshid, Sarru-kin, Rimush, Anum-muttabbi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mojobadshah View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mojobadshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alusharshid, Sarru-kin, Rimush, Anum-muttabbi
    Posted: 19-Mar-2013 at 15:52
Alusharshid, Sarru-kin, Rimush, Anum-muttabbi all mention the place-names Bara'se or Parsashum.  I think that these place-names could actually be Aryan place names equating to the Jabal Barez mountain range and Fars, respectively or they are variations Fars alone.  Mesopotamian inscriptions aren't within my range of knowledge and I'm a little in the dark as to who these people were.  Am I correct in that all the aforesaid personages are Akkadians, and therefore their inscriptions were written in Akkadian also or were they Sumerians writing in Sumerian?  There in the Sumerian kings list which is why I'm confused.  Also my date for Alusharshid is 2296-2271 but now that I've double checked this it looks like sources are saying he lived a lot earlier.  Can someone confirm when the above four personages lived?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2013 at 16:03
If they are Akkadian, you can use the Old Kingdom of Egypt as a timeline.  Both Empires collapsed at about the same time, due to the 300 year drought.  Don't know if that helps any.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2013 at 22:53
Alusharshid, Sarru-kin, Rimush, Anum-muttabbi all mention the place-names Bara'se or Parsashum. I think that these place-names could actually be Aryan place names equating to the Jabal Barez mountain range and Fars, respectively or they are variations Fars alone.

Part of the problem with the names of these locales is that their transcription is not altogether clear.   Barakhshe could be Warakshe and we have the form Marhashe.   If it can be proved that the proper form does begin with P/B then we can discuss if they are Aryan or not.

Even here, this would still be problematic.    Why would they be Aryan?   There is far too much precedence of names of different derivation adopted by a foreign group who make it their own.   Slavonic tribes for instance bore names of Germanic, Iranic, and Turkic origin.   Add to this the names of the known rulers of B/Warakhshe/Marhashi and there is no evidence of these names being of Aryan origin.    An Aryan tribe 2 millennia after its first attestation could have easily adopted this placename, known at this later time as Parsumash/Parsuwash and rendered it as Parsa.   If there is any truth to Herodotus' testimony, the original name of the "Persians" was "Artaioi".

Mesopotamian inscriptions aren't within my range of knowledge and I'm a little in the dark as to who these people were. Am I correct in that all the aforesaid personages are Akkadians, and therefore their inscriptions were written in Akkadian also or were they Sumerians writing in Sumerian? There in the Sumerian kings list which is why I'm confused. Also my date for Alusharshid is 2296-2271 but now that I've double checked this it looks like sources are saying he lived a lot earlier. Can someone confirm when the above four personages lived?

All the names seem to be Akkadian in origin.   Sharrukin and Rimush are known kings of Akkad.    They are usually dated in the 24th century BC but some evidence from carbon-dating seems to indicate a 23rd century date.   The other names are problematic.   Alusharshid is found in older literature but not in present-day literature.  I have an entire corpus of all the known kings of Babylonia but the name Alusharshid does not figure in none of them  The older literature proposes dates in the late 5th millennium BC which predates the estimate as to when writing began.   He is said to have been "shar kishshati" which either means "king of Kish" or "king of all".   There would be a problem if he was the immediate predecessor of Sargon.   If his honorific was "king of Kish" then his placement would be in conflict with that of Ur-Zababa, the king of Kish whom Sargon himself was the cup-bearer to.      If he was "king of all" this would be in conflict with the reign of Lugalzaggesi, who had hegemonic rule over Sumer and Akkad, and who was overthrown by Sargon.   I'm under the impression that "Alusharshid" was an old rendering of an otherwise known king, whose signs are not translated differently, today.
Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 01:30
the orthodox dates for the Akkadian dynasty and the Old Kingdom (2000s bc) are too early. (The current dates for Sumer before Akkad are also too early, like old/earlier modern sources dates were too early or earlier than current orthodox dates.) Joseph was in the 3rd(to 4th) dynasty (joseph/zaphenath-paneah = djoserty-ankh/sekhemhet [&/or Wyatt's Imhotep? and also related to courville's Unas famine scenes]) so the Old Kingdom (3rd-6th) can't be earlier than about 1800s bc (which seems to be confirmed by decrypted sesor-tosis date). (Evidence also is that Menes/1st dynasty also can't have been before c 2300 bc.) Orthodox synchronism of Akkadian dynasty via Ebla with (4th-)6th dynasty places Akkadian dynasty somwehere between Joseph/3rd dynasty/c1800s and Moses/12th dynasty/c1400s. [Though LA Waddell reckoned that Akkadian synchronised with 1st dynasty (which although it seems not so there are still some puzzling connections).] (However that probably doesn't answer the question but confuses it since you probably not asking when it really was but when it was in relation to the general Mesopotamian (& ancient world) scheme.) One important way to date the Akkadian itself is by the Nabonidus/Naramsin date (and by the "2 suns" event on Naramsin stele). My decryption of the Nabonidus/Naramsin date confirms that Akkadian falls between Joseph & Moses.

Not sure about when alusharshid was though without knowing more about the king or inscription or city or dynasty or source.
Alusharshid isn't perhaps related to sinkashid (but which is after Akkad dynasty, ca Isin-Larsa)?
I've just done quick brief look-up of Alusharshid and it says = Uru-mu-mush/Urumush which on one hand seems could possibly be the Akkad dyn king Rimush, but on other hand source/s say/s is a city king of the east area sometime earlier than Akkad dynasty
Ur '0'/1 dyn had similarities with Old Kingdom?

Sharrukin's entire corpus of Babylonian kings would be very interesting to see.

(I can't post any much on net/web anymore but make this a last exception.)

ps yes some have thought parsashum or bara'se as relating to Persia but i don't know if this is possible, though it is tempting to see Elam & Bara'se as Elam & Bharat/Parthia/Persia/Badakshan.

Edited by Arthur-Robin - 12-May-2013 at 01:50
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 03:57
Yeah, I was thinking that maybe Alusharshid was the older transcripton of Sinkashid of Uruk, but after doing some research, I found that Alusharshid was the old transcription of the name of the Akkadian king Rimush, son and successor of Sargon.   None of Sinkashid's inscriptions mention B/Warakhshe or Marhashe.

Regarding the chronology of the Old Akkadian period, there is now more support for at least a 23rd century date.    After the publication of new lists of Assyrian limmus from both Kultepe and Mari we now have nearly a complete sequence of years for the reigns of successive Old Assyrian kings.   What nails their absolute chronology is the mention of a solar eclipse dated to 1833 BC in one of the limmu lists, and so hence the Venus tablets are no longer alone in helping to date the time of both Assyrian and Babylonian kings.
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 05:48
Thats good that it was Rimush. If it wasn't Rimush the only other candidate I found is the last king of Kish 2 dyn.
There is just no way that Akkad dyn can date to 23rd cent bc (unless Waddell was right in corresponding it with 1st dyn of Egypt).
The 1800s cent date for Babylon 1 dyn (which may synchronise with 13th dyn of Egypt) is also certainly too early. I will have to re/familiarise myself with the eclipse but I am sure that it can not be right. The sucessive king years and Venus tablets and carbon dating are not reliable.
Semiramis 1 was Hammurabi (or Shamshiadad 1).
From my research the Old Assyrian/Tilshanim period possibly matches Cushan-rishathaim time.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2013 at 17:02
Thats good that it was Rimush. If it wasn't Rimush the only other candidate I found is the last king of Kish 2 dyn.

There are no inscription identifiable as belonging to the last king of Kish II, Lugalngu.   There is an "inlay fragment" with an inscription from Kish which reads:

"......LUGAL-UD king [of ........]"

The reason why it is in caps is because we don't know to read it in Sumerian or Akkadian.  In either case, this can't be Alusharshid because the original inscription could already be read as:

"Alusharshid, king of Kishshatu, presented (it) to Bel, from the spoil of Elam, when he had subjugated Elam and Bara'se."

Taken from 'Old Babylonian Inscriptions chiefly from Nippur' by Hermann vollrat Hilprecht

The current reading of the inscription of Rimush is:

"To the god Enlil, Rimush, king of the world, when he conquered Elam and Parakhshum, dedicated (this vessel)  from the booty of Elam".

There is just no way that Akkad dyn can date to 23rd cent bc (unless Waddell was right in corresponding it with 1st dyn of Egypt).

I think we had this conversation before A-R.   There is just no way that Akkad Dyn. (24th/22nd century BC) can correspond to Egyptian Dyn. 1 (31st/29th century BC).

The 1800s cent date for Babylon 1 dyn (which may synchronise with 13th dyn of Egypt) is also certainly too early. I will have to re/familiarise myself with the eclipse but I am sure that it can not be right. The sucessive king years and Venus tablets and carbon dating are not reliable.

Well, uh, A-R, what is "reliable" to you?

Semiramis 1 was Hammurabi (or Shamshiadad 1).

It is a rather moot point that these are names of different people.

'At Mari on the central Euphrates, among other rich material, a cuneiform tablet was found which established that Hammurabi of Babylonia and King Shamshi-Adad I of Assyria were contemporaries. An oath was sworn by the life of these two kings in the tenth year of Hammurabi,'

Edited by Sharrukin - 12-May-2013 at 17:06
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2013 at 02:23
I agree Alusharshid is Rimush. But re the last king of Kish it can be read lugalngu or lugal-mu. Alusharshid is uru-mush or uru-mu-mush.
I know, I agree with you about Akkad/1st dyn not being so, I was just mentioning it because there are still some strange similarities.
As to what is reliable too complicated to answer, but somethings are reliable, some arent, and some are in between.
Yes Hammurabi and Shamsiadad are different people, I didn't mean they weren't, but Semiramis is certainly Hammurabi (or else is Shamshiadad) not a different person.
Oh here is my evidence then (from my Iraq history article/notes) :

"Could Semiramis/S(h)ammu-ramat 1 (of Dio Sic, Herodotus, Ctesias, Josephus, Berosus, etc) be (C)hammu-rabi/Khammu Rabi/Khammuragas (of )? (I have seen a source that reckons Berosus mentioned both Semiramis and Hammurabi though.) Some similarities include:
->Semiramis 1: described as “king”/“wore a garment that did not show whether she was man or woman”, Babylon/Assyria/Chaldea queen, 42yrs (or 55yrs Belus), wife of Ninus son of Belus, conquered whole middle eastern world/invaded Kush & India/military campaign against Medes & Chaldeans, founded/(re-)built Babylon/Hanging Gardens/embankments/walls/many cities, daughter of Syrianess, Ninus demanded Semiramis from Menones, “woman of palace of Shamsi-adad”, of Mede mtns (nth), plants/flowers/trees, Nineveh, Ishtar, [shepherd Simmos, abandoned as child,] Shammuramat-Su, etc.
->Hammurabi: toga like robe, Babylon king, 42yrs or 55 yrs, associated with date of Belus, a victorious general/warrior, great builder of cities/irrigation systems/temples/fortifications, Amorite/W Semit/from Syria, demanded return of statues taken by Khedorlaomer, conquered Shamsi-adad's dyn, Kassite from Elam mtns, lotus, Nineveh temple of Ishtar, [shepherd of his people, Shamash, trial by water/Moses,] Nahar-Khammurabi, etc.
 A list of Hammurabi's ancestors has some same names as early kings of Assyrian king list.
Queen Homai of Persian may be same as Semiramis/Hammurabi?
Homai (32 yrs) successor of Ardshir similar to Hammurabi (42 yrs) after Waradsin &/or Rim-sin/Eri-aku?"

(The relevance to this topic/thread is that it is one way of dating the Babylon 1 dynasty, other than the other mentioned attempted ways.)

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2013 at 01:36
You should create a thread to discuss if Hammurabi is Semiramis (and by extension dating Babylon I), since these are off-topic from this thread.  I, for one, don't have a problem seeing them as different people.
 Post Reply Post Reply