Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Churchill branded atheist-agnostic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Churchill branded atheist-agnostic
    Posted: 12-Mar-2013 at 17:44
In the final volume of the much lauded ''The Last Lion" series;Winston Spencer Churchill: Defender of the Realm, 1940-1965, authored by Paul Reid, the claim is made.

Here is a rebuttal. You decide.

* all three parts can be read from the initial link.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 11:26
Read it, and fail to see what difference it makes, particularly in retrospect.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 11:58
Originally posted by Mountain Man

The difference for the historian, pro or layman, lies in the veracity of Reid's claims and analysis versus the earlier bios; predominately Manchester's, to accurately relate Churchill's theological, if any, predilections.

As for the concern of retrospection.

It boils down to accurate representation versus revisionism. And for the historian that remains an academic concern. No matter the length of time involving the subject's life, activities and continued study and recognition, in this case, as a 'grand figure' and the intervening period following their death.

From one perspective...revisionism can be acceptable. If the preponderance of evidence can substiante an accurate review and was objectively arrived at viz the method. This then is not evil... as it in theory....represents a more updated and accurate accounting of the subject, based on evidence not previously known or only cursorily examined.

The counter is when it's done to support a pre-biased and subjective agenda. That is or might be in keeping with a segmental societal change and cultural development in thought. Involving moral or political rejectionism, individual bias, bigotry, ideologies etc... but is not representative of the historical record.

As I noted. The decision on acceptance of Reid's analysis remains individual.

I myself am now beginning a  rereading  of the first two volumes of the seminal classical series to conduct a comparison contrast of Manchester and Reid and their source basis. As well as other biographers. It will probably take at least three years.

And while I can appreciate that you individually and a select few others here; 'knew' the above. Often it is necessary to further enlighten the lesser well informed-trained-educated practitioner-aficionado-student in the study of history.

S. T. Friedman

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 12:28
Churchill became known for other things, regarding his philosophy. Religion is the least important in my humble opinion. His federalism (proposal for the United States of Europe) is what made the most impact, not his views on religion. Again, I state the obvious: I voice my opinion only.
αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν
Een aristevin
“Ever to Excel“
From Homer's Iliad (8th century BC).
Motto of the University of St Andrews (founded 1410), the Edinburgh Academy (founded 1824) and others.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 13:25
Originally posted by TITAN_

Churchill became known for other things, regarding his philosophy. Religion is the least important in my humble opinion. His federalism (proposal for the United States of Europe) is what made the most impact, not his views on religion. Again, I state the obvious: I voice my opinion only.

I agree it was important; but from a historical perspective disagree as to it being his most significant historical period of service. That, imo, remains his WW2 service. And his identification of the communist threat that was to expand. A corollary prerequisite for his U.S.E. imo. Coincidentally which did not necessarily reflect his belief that Britain be a member. But act in concert with the USE the USA and the Soviet Union.

And the debate remains as to whether he envisioned a federalist approach (European version) versus the unionist which advanced.

Nor was he necessarily the first to advocate such. Mazzini, Garibaldi, Cattaneo, JS Mill and others spring to mind.

Ntl...the thread is reference the title. And your position is noted. Thanks for your contribution.

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 15:23
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

The difference for the historian, pro or layman, lies in the veracity of Reid's claims and analysis versus the earlier bios; predominately Manchester's, to accurately relate Churchill's theological, if any, predilections.

It boils down to accurate representation versus revisionism. And for the historian that remains an academic concern. No matter the length of time involving the subject's life, activities and continued study and recognition, in this case, as a 'grand figure' and the intervening period following their death.

From one perspective...revisionism can be acceptable. If the preponderance of evidence can substiante an accurate review and was objectively arrived at viz the method. This then is not evil... as it in theory....represents a more updated and accurate accounting of the subject, based on evidence not previously known or only cursorily examined.

The counter is when it's done to support a pre-biased and subjective agenda. That is or might be in keeping with a segmental societal change and cultural development in thought. Involving moral or political rejectionism, individual bias, bigotry, ideologies etc... but is not representative of the historical record.

I myself am now beginning a  rereading  of the first two volumes of the seminal classical series to conduct a comparison contrast of Manchester and Reid and their source basis. As well as other biographers. It will probably take at least three years.

And while I can appreciate that you individually and a select few others here; 'knew' the above. Often it is necessary to further enlighten the lesser well informed-trained-educated practitioner-aficionado-student in the study of history.

So it matters, if it matters at all, to those with a religious viewpoint of their own.

AFAIC, Churchill's accomplishments stand on their own, without the need for constant historical "interpretation", hindsight and concern about his religious views (or lack of).  Are his decisions now going to blamed on lack of religion - Coventry, for example?  Dieppe?

Next thing, we'll be revisiting FDR's entire WWII history with an eye to whether or not he was religious enough for the history books - heavy drinker, adulterer - probably not, right?

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 16:30

So it matters, if it matters at all, to those with a religious viewpoint of their own.

I'm sure that might be the case for some. Possibly, even the author of the article in rebuttal, I provided. But that begs the issue afaic.. I, as a historian, also am interested, as are no doubt my fellows, in what I alluded to above.
(My underline-bold below to emphasize the academic concern.)
''It boils down to accurate representation versus revisionism. And for the historian that remains an academic concern. No matter the length of time involving the subject's life, activities and continued study and recognition, in this case, as a 'grand figure' and the intervening period following their death.''
AFAIC, Churchill's accomplishments stand on their own, without the need for constant historical "interpretation", hindsight and concern about his religious views (or lack of).  Are his decisions now going to blamed on lack of religion - Coventry, for example?  Dieppe?
I would concur in part.
But like it or not....the possible decisions, based on a theologic or lack of concerns, are ntl fair game for analysis and accurate representation in the record....if they have been included in the examination as an issue for discussion. Reid has done this. And not simply because either camp has or has not, 'skin' in the game. But for Lady History's true sake: Objectivity.
And equally because it has been often been the bailiwick of historical biographers and, a well know academic practice to include just that. You and I both know, that if we wish to read a more dedicated synopsis of the 'military specific aspects and political or social considerations' of his decisions, for example, in WW2...there are any number of excellent resources out there ready to discuss it. This, particular question however interests me because I am an advocate of the 'whole man' approach when dealing with historic biography.

Next thing, we'll be revisiting FDR's entire WWII history with an eye to whether or not he was religious enough for the history books - heavy drinker, adulterer - probably not, right?
Possibly.

But that does not frighten me as long as the thesis is clear, factual and objective. And, can clearly establish a nexus in the decision making process in relationship to what you propose. If not then...it again ".....boils down to accurate representation versus revisionism.'' Whether it is pro secular or pro theological matters little to me. Revisionism for it's sake; or in support of a pre-established bias is not acceptable....accuracy always is. And if that historical question-examination, might be concerned with, or might be asked, or challenged, reference theological beliefs or lack there of as qualifiers......In a biographical review of the individual's life and service and decision making processes?

So be it.

Afaic, that also, is as I note above.......''ntl fair game for analysis and accurate representation in the record....''.

S. T. Friedman

General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 18:24
So one author makes this claim and it becomes...what?  Premise?  Theory? Guess?  SWAG?

Whatever it is, isn't yet established "fact" by any current standard of proof.  I'll therefore withhold further judgement until a majority of highly credentialed and respected historians and researchers agree that this is indeed as fact, with full documentation to support it.

Until then, it remains in my mind what we used to call NTKS-NTV: Nice To Know "Stuff" but No Tactical ValueDisapprove
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 19:08
It's well known that Churchill was an atheist, or at least hostile to organised religion. He was particularly contemptuous of Islam, deeming it backward and barbaric:
http://godforgotten.tumblr.com/post/27197570372/winston-churchill-on-islam#_=_
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 19:51

So one author makes this claim and it becomes...what?  Premise?  Theory? Guess?  SWAG?

All of the above...if that's what ya want.Wink
But it would best be described as his hypothesis.

Whatever it is, isn't yet established "fact" by any current standard of proof.  I'll therefore withhold further judgement until a majority of highly credentialed and respected historians and researchers agree that this is indeed as fact, with full documentation to support it.

And from out of the darkness and the gloom the voice of one who supports the method appears.
All is well on the front range.

Until then, it remains in my mind what we used to call NTKS-NTV: Nice To Know "Stuff" but No Tactical Value
Disapprove

See my first blue.Wink

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 20:08
Originally posted by Nick1986

It's well known that Churchill was an atheist, or at least hostile to organised religion. He was particularly contemptuous of Islam, deeming it backward and barbaric:
http://godforgotten.tumblr.com/post/27197570372/winston-churchill-on-islam#_=_

But your first belies the controversy Nick.....he was or he was not an atheist or agnostic.....Reid claims so.
Others either pass it by or are prepared to counter it. Therein lies your choice. Consequently therein also lies the requirement for further analysis and peer related review. And counter and or acceptance.

As noted it's neither a pro-secularist or pro theological agenda here for me......but accuracy in the record even if it's termed as a revision of the accepted.

As for Islam...yes the sources do agree in the main....ntl; that was an attitude of many if not the greater preponderance of his peers; in the age in which he rose to prominence. That same group also either overtly or covertly also held the Jews in contempt for the already well established stereotypical rationales of the day.

Did he however overtly condemn the COE or other Christian faiths or Buddhism-Hinduism etc. in the same fashion. Reid would offer the contention yes. Other's disagree. Or at least in the degree of his representations and actions.

Again the totality of the question is in contention; for reasonably, definable, men can not be declared agnostics or atheists unless they equally reject all. That is their own practiced norm. To demonstrate other, is a contradiction in terms of the definition of usage. And therefor it is in accurate to necessarily state boldy.... 'X'.... if.....'y'....is also in the record.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 21:21
Btw, Reid is a well recognised journalist. I, at this point, like MM to a degree, am neither condemning or commending. But evaluating.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Mar-2013 at 22:08

S. T. Friedman

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 22:52
What does it matter? Can't a man's religious beliefs change over the course of his lifetime? I can remember a church-going Irish Aunt who towards the end of her life expressed public skepticism that there was any after-life. That maybe God doesn't really exist skepticism made her no less a human being, and she would have identified herself as a practicing Catholic.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2013 at 23:33
Here....I must disagree with my learned friend.

It matters because of the importance and veracity of the historical record.
Either for your Aunt or Churchill. Regardless of their original or changing intents, beliefs or disregarding them at a later date. Or stated conflicting personal positions and  conflicting comments. As a historian, I stand on that. As a historian that remains my responsibility. As a historian I regard them all.

Others will not concern themselves with that necessarily.

So be it.

But if that then is the case...I might then consider whether they are truely interested in objectivity in totality of the examination in question. And not merely in a subject they themselves deem important...and hence would treat objectively or wish to revise viz a predisposed bias or agenda.

Iow. I either practice the method to the best of my ability on the large and the small...or I get the hell out of the business of being a historian. Because at that point I"m merely a pundit.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Mar-2013 at 23:37

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 16:32
http://www.retronaut.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/11.jpg
Here's the truth: Churchill was a Druid
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2013 at 16:34
Where is a broom,Nick?Mogul from Harry Potter he was.WinkMany Moguls we can see on photo!
 Post Reply Post Reply