Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GIs overseas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GIs overseas
    Posted: 23-Feb-2013 at 15:43

When America joined the war in 1941, not everyone was pleased to see them. British soldiers resented the better-paid US troops and accused them of stealing their women. "Overpaid, oversexed and over here" was how the British described the Yanks. The Americans responded by calling the Brits "Underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhower" as the US became the dominant partner in the alliance
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20160819
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2013 at 22:09
Yeah, but they didn't mind us dying for them, or saving them for the second time.

I imagine they decided that losing a few girlfriends for a while was worth the price.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2013 at 23:09
There was some friction between the Americans and Australians as well. There were even anti-American riots in Brisbane, MacArthur's headquarters. Part of the resentment in Aussie arose from MacArthur's public pronouncements which very seldom mentioned the Australians, and had a habit of referring to "Allied Force" victories at places where the only Allied forces engaged were Australian, or where Australians constituted a large majority of the ground forces.
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 05:27
Originally posted by Mountain Man

Yeah, but they didn't mind us dying for them, or saving them for the second time.

Did mind the USA funding the Nazi war effort and providing war machines for it.
2nd time, oh yes the USA funded the German war effort in WW1 as well.

Both times just sat back got rich from both sides whilst they died.
How honourable.

Now that WAS an anti american statement, however being anti american does not make it untrue.

I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 05:58
No one likes any kind of world power, no matter what they do, even if they do what they are hoped for or asked to. This is how humanity is.
BTW, everyone who produces weapons sells them to whoever wants them, this is a question of business, not ot honour. The US doesn't behave differently that anyone esle, and any given country on their place would do the same. The rest is just talk.
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 06:46
Originally posted by Don Quixote

. The US doesn't behave differently that anyone esle, and any given country on their place would do the same. The rest is just talk.

Like France and Britain did?

Can i confirm that whilst  these 2 nations defended the world against the German threat, the USA did not until a few months before the war ended. Am i wrong?

Then the USA sent thousands of unarmed, semi trained men to "fight" JUST so Wilson could get a seat at the "big "table, one he later ran away from.

IS that how "anyone else behaved"????

the myth of America bailing Europe out in WW1, with 0.01% of the total dead???

I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 10:44
American aid was not vital in either WW1 or WW2. Especially in WW2, the Russians were beating the Nazis and it was only a matter of time till they got to Berlin.....
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 11:11
Originally posted by Azita

Originally posted by Mountain Man

Did mind the USA funding the Nazi war effort and providing war machines for it.
2nd time, oh yes the USA funded the German war effort in WW1 as well.

Both times just sat back got rich from both sides whilst they died.
How honourable.

Now that WAS an anti american statement, however being anti american does not make it untrue.

On my last trip to Europe, it's been a few years, but I had an opportunity to visit Normandy.  I'm not going to get into a big thing about wether or not what you've stated is true or not.

It isn't anti American, it's nonsense.  I would like to hear you state the same things, standing where I stood, looking at the thousands of white crosses most of them American.  Men who never came home.  Just so folks like you wouldn't have to speak German.

My Grandfather was a Marine, 4th Brigade,  1st Marine Expeditionary Force, 1918.  He was at Chateau Thiery/ Belleau Wood.  They were not "Untrained" they were untested.  His Co. went into the battle with 180+.  He was one of three that survived the fight.  Yes it was late in the war, but I don't think it mattered much to the 175 or so men in his company who didn't survive.  But I would bet it mattered a whole lot to the French whose butts the Marines saved when the Germans overran the French positions.
My Father was not in Europe in WWII, he was in the Pacific theater. 

As to the US sitting back and getting rich, first there were folks on both sides who profitted from the war.
The amount of treasure the US spent on the war, would, in todays money, be in the trillions.  Just the amount spent on the Manhatten project alone, would have been finacially beyond any other country.
Lend Lease to Brittain and Russia was in the Billions, much of it never repaid.

Being anti American has always been a popular indoor sport, I don't mind, as long as you get the reality right. 
The guys under the white crosses never say anything, so I don't know how they feel about it.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 11:50
Originally posted by TITAN_

American aid was not vital in either WW1 or WW2. Especially in WW2, the Russians were beating the Nazis and it was only a matter of time till they got to Berlin.....

I am getting tired of this.  Provide credible sources, and while your at it, see if you could get the Russians to pay the US back for the 80,000 trucks and god knows what else and how much we sent them.
I wonder if they ever think about the thousands of non Russian Merchant Seamen who died getting the stuff to them.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 12:07

. The US doesn't behave differently that anyone esle, and any given country on their place would do the same. The rest is just talk.

Can i confirm that whilst  these 2 nations defended the world against the German threat, the USA did not until a few months before the war ended. Am i wrong?

Then the USA sent thousands of unarmed, semi trained men to "fight" JUST so Wilson could get a seat at the "big "table, one he later ran away from.

Of course, the UK and France were attacked, /in their treaty that Hitler broke, a broken treaty is a political attack/ and US was attacked before it entered the war. It was clear that Hittler will gobble up everything in Europe, and attack the UK and France physically too. So declaring war on Germany was an act of defence; and it could have been done earlier, during the Sudeten Crisis, instead of the politics of apeasment, and most probably then the Germans themselves would have get rid of Hitler, and WWII could be avoided. A country enters a war when it's personally threatened, and US did this in time when it was attacked; before this it wasn't threatened and didn't have the reason to do so.

Chemberlain sold the Check people to the Germans /the Munich Agreement/ and sat on his hands, while Nazies overran half Europe. France sold itself little later, directly, that's why they had Vichy, that was shamefully collaborating in hunting down the French Jews. The Bulgarian Tzar Boris begged England for help, and was refused such, while the Germans were about to occupy Bulgaria; so Bulgaria was forced to become a passive ally in order not to be smashed.

If it makes you feel better that US is a bad egg among noble others, go ahead. I can't do that, sorry. There is no nobleness in politics, in any politics, of any county, only interests /which is just darwinian, everyone is primarily interested in his/hers own survival/. Nobleness is found only in the souls of soldiers who died, for their country or other, and lost their chances to stay here and talk nice talks about who is what and why, drinking a cup ot something.

Edited by Don Quixote - 24-Feb-2013 at 14:53
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 12:14

That is not exactly true. The Russians were beating the Germans on the Eastern Front only because the rest of the Allies were beating them on the Western, and Southern ones, and in the Pacific. And what avout the US help to Russia in weapons and money?

The US was instrumental in winning WWII, and Churchil knew that; here an eyewitness I can trust.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 14:37

The Americans didn't have it as easy as you may think. In the Pacific US Marines participated in some of the war's toughest fighting
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 22:12

gentlemen we are confusing our 2 wars, the fault is mine for not being clear, i apologise.

I am away on a little history trip today, ( im so excited!!!!).

Let me explain my comments in another thread when i get back.

Originally posted by red clay

It isn't anti American, it's nonsense.

If that is so, can you explain how the USA went from a debtor nation to a creditor nation during the WW1 period?
Where did that money come from?

Azita

lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Feb-2013 at 23:49
Azita, in re:  "If that is so, can you explain how the USA went from a debtor nation to a creditor nation during the WW1 period? Where did that money come from?"

Let me see, ignoring automobiles and aircraft, and grains shipped to Europe, I find that the M-1917 Enfield Rifle produced in the U.S. was the standard arm for three quarters of the AEF. Enfield, of course, was a British design. I assume they received some payment for their rights. 

The Lewis Machinegun was an American design, but not adopted by U.S. Forces, so the inventor moved to Europe prior to the war, and it was adopted by several European Armies, to include the Brits. The parent company was Belgian.

Sir Hiram Maxim was likewise an American by birth, but he did become a British subject. His design was used by both the British and German Armies. Hmm, who profited from those sales? The parent company was registered n Britain.

If you wish to paint the Americans a war profiteers, it would seem that you have quite a task ahead of yourself to assemble the required data to sustain that charge. 

I would suggest to you that the Americans would have attained their creditor status without World War One, however had the European not gone to war, the American position in 1917 would likely have been somewhat less important, though no less economically successful. America's success in the early twentieth century owes much to a combination of native American genius and very high levels of European immigration that manned the factories, cleared the plains, and planted the crops. 

By the way, many cotton producers outside Europe also saw a dramatic increase in sales during the 1914-1918 period. Japan, Korea, India, and Egypt were among them. Were they war profiteers also? Were any of these profits illegal or unjust? Were they unconscionable merely because the purchasers were engaged in a war?

Here's a thought for you: Without World War One, and the participation of the colonial peoples in that war, and also as a result of economic development related to providing materials to support the armies engaged in that war, decolonization would not have come as early as it did.

Edited by lirelou - 24-Feb-2013 at 23:55
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2013 at 08:43
Originally posted by lirelou

There was some friction between the Americans and Australians as well. There were even anti-American riots in Brisbane, MacArthur's headquarters. Part of the resentment in Aussie arose from MacArthur's public pronouncements which very seldom mentioned the Australians, and had a habit of referring to "Allied Force" victories at places where the only Allied forces engaged were Australian, or where Australians constituted a large majority of the ground forces.

I don't know about the atmosphere in Australia, I do know "Dugout Doug." wasn't very popular there.
However, my father's Squadron, I forget the designations, their nickname was "Island Hoppers", would pull into Christ Church NZ.  He said it was the closest thing to "Home Leave".  From Dad, "You always felt like you had just stepped out of a war and into a church supper.  They couldn't do enough to please you, or seemed like it.  For some reason, you always felt welcome there".

Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2013 at 09:40

gentlemen we are confusing our 2 wars, the fault is mine for not being clear, i apologise.

There are more than a few historians that look at WWI and II, the Korean Conflict and  the Cold War, as one continuous conflict, ending only with the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Azita, if you want a more ground level approach to the American psyche during the period 1918 to 1941, read "The Time Between Wars".   I forget the author's name but if you Google it should pop up. 
To fully understand much of what we are speaking of, you have to look at the political atmosphere in the US ca 1900 to 1915-16.  Also, remember that the US was not yet the industrial powerhouse it turned into during WWII.  A debtor nation before 1917-18?  I don't know about that one, hard to believe, knowing what I know about our resources at the time.  But I do know one thing, in 1941 Admiral Yamamoto got it right when he said "I fear all we have done is to wake a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve".

To give you an idea of the raw industrial power of the US at that time, when the War Dept started planning for wartime production, it was estimated that it would take until 1965 to reach maximum mobilization.  That was the year I graduated from HS. Big smile
That means that when the war ended, the US was still 20 years from maxing out it's manpower and industrial might. Just a little staggering, when you think about it.

Unknown.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2013 at 06:03
World War II The War Against Germany And Italy
pg. 198. general figures Lend-Lease.
See also: Feeding the Bear: American aid to the Soviet Union in 1941-1945; Hubert van Tuyll.
Dean and Chair, Augusta State University’s Department of History, Anthropology, and Philosophy,
It is as good as it is objective, accurate and researched.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2013 at 06:31

That is not exactly true. The Russians were beating the Germans on the Eastern Front only because the rest of the Allies were beating them on the Western, and Southern ones, and in the Pacific. And what avout the US help to Russia in weapons and money?

The US was instrumental in winning WWII, and Churchil knew that; here an eyewitness I can trust.

The Pacific theatre was Japan vs. US. 
The allies did not beat anyone on the Western front until near the end of the warConfused
Most of WW2, in Europe, was Germany vs. Russia. Most of the German soldiers died battling against Russians.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2013 at 06:37

I am getting tired of this.  Provide credible sources, and while your at it, see if you could get the Russians to pay the US back for the 80,000 trucks and god knows what else and how much we sent them.
I wonder if they ever think about the thousands of non Russian Merchant Seamen who died getting the stuff to them.

The most critical campaign was Operation Barbarossa. The Russians, aided by a harsh winter, beat the Germans without any help. Did you send 80,000 trucks for the Battle of Stalingrad? When exactly did you send substantial aid? 

The way I see it, when the Russians started to receive US aid, tables were already turned and the Russian war industry could already produce more weaponry than the Nazis.... 

red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2013 at 08:34

The most critical campaign was Operation Barbarossa. The Russians, aided by a harsh winter, beat the Germans without any help. Did you send 80,000 trucks for the Battle of Stalingrad? When exactly did you send substantial aid? 

The way I see it, when the Russians started to receive US aid, tables were already turned and the Russian war industry could already produce more weaponry than the Nazis.... 

It has nothing to do with the Way You See It.  Recorded History and fact go against everything you've posted.
In forum speak, your "Half Assing" it.  Google some of your ideas before you come on here.  We deal in facts and real history, not Nationalistic BS, or anti American bs, based on a distorted and biased view of History.
If you had, you would know the when and what, and you would know about things like the "Murmansk Run" and you wouldn't be making a fool of yourself.

Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>