Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The pope resigns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The pope resigns
    Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 00:03

The UN Report promoted by the who? The National Secular Society.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL/LOLLOLLOL

No agenda there eh.  

Wink
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 11:31
I will make an attempt to get back to the original thread - the resignation of the Pope.

There is considerable public discourse over the possible choices of his successor, usually focusing not on individuals but on their nations of origin.  I find that puzzling myself, because it is the man that takes on the office and not his nationality, but I'm not religious so I'm likely missing a point somewhere.

Do we have some Catholics who can clear up the finer points for us and deliniate the specific issues and concerns over papal origins?  I understand that bringing Catholicism to a specific region is a large issue to the Church, and thus influential on the selection process, but I would assume so would be the economic status of the various nations with large Catholic populations, as well.

I will say, however, that I find the amount of politics involved in selecting a new Pope very much at odds with what I understand the principles of Christianity and the teachings of Jesus to have really been.  There seems to be an enormous disconnect between concept and practice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 12:21
Originally posted by Mountain Man

I will say, however, that I find the amount of politics involved in selecting a new Pope very much at odds with what I understand the principles of Christianity and the teachings of Jesus to have really been.  There seems to be an enormous disconnect between concept and practice.

Is that not true about ALL Christianity?
Isn't it nearly ALL at odds with the teachings of Jesus Christ the Messiah/Prophet?

Azita.

PS: Your use of such nice bold type, is so wonderfully easy to read.
I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 13:07
Originally posted by Azita

Is that not true about ALL Christianity?
Isn't it nearly ALL at odds with the teachings of Jesus Christ the Messiah/Prophet?

Azita.

PS: Your use of such nice bold type, is so wonderfully easy to read.

Not all of Christianity is like that.  However Religion is a political construct of man, so the amount of politics involved shoudn't be surprising.  I, like MM, am not a religous person, I have my own belief system.  It probably comes closer to Gnosticism than anything else.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 14:13
Originally posted by red clay

Not all of Christianity is like that.  However Religion is a political construct of man, so the amount of politics involved shoudn't be surprising.  I, like MM, am not a religous person, I have my own belief system.  It probably comes closer to Gnosticism than anything else.

What I'm curious about are the perceived advantages of a pope from one nation as opposed to another?  Shouldn't it be about his religious views, and specifically about the course he would plot for that papacy?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 15:14

I will make an attempt to get back to the original thread - the resignation of the Pope.

There is considerable public discourse over the possible choices of his successor, usually focusing not on individuals but on their nations of origin.  I find that puzzling myself, because it is the man that takes on the office and not his nationality, but I'm not religious so I'm likely missing a point somewhere.

Do we have some Catholics who can clear up the finer points for us and delineate the specific issues and concerns over papal origins?  I understand that bringing Catholicism to a specific region is a large issue to the Church, and thus influential on the selection process, but I would assume so would be the economic status of the various nations with large Catholic populations, as well.

ref. first blue bold.

Yup I could.

Given my background but am not particularly motivated to do so as I don't entirely trust the motives of select individuals on this subject....seen to much religious bashing and catholic bashing before on forums, to include this one, to warrant my getting uptight over it because of my ole Ma and Nana's association.

ref. second blue bold.

The only thing I'll say to that is it's not a matter that's new.

Christianity as a philosophy and religion, as originated and subsequently developed by men who did indeed have political agendas (as they might be termed today; predominately, initially that of safeguarding and preserving the institution's survival). Is not that of the present Catholic church or ancient for that matter, in it's entirety.

Hasn't been since Constantine's declaration (Milan 312AD).

Best bet is to peruse James Hitchcock's History of the Catholic Church et.tv.

Here's a few decent links used by the church (their acceptance or rejection as biased is not my problem):

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2013 at 15:36

Not all of Christianity is like that. 

Ok, Ok, I must not argue, My views are extremely strong and anti, so i would over step the mark.

I sitting here gagging to type a tirade..................

Were is the nearest bottle of wine.......

Azita

I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true 'The empty vessel makes the greatest sound'.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 09:35
Originally posted by Azita

Not all of Christianity is like that. 

Ok, Ok, I must not argue, My views are extremely strong and anti, so i would over step the mark.

I sitting here gagging to type a tirade..................

Were is the nearest bottle of wine.......

Azita

Azita, I'm not at all sensitive about religion, as I posted, I'm not a religious person.  Also, this isn't the first time this subject has been broached here. 

Some subjects almost require a "lubricant" before answering. Big smileWink

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 10:19
Recession made it.They will spend no money for chimney cleaning!?!Wink
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 12:34
So we could talk about it, but for various reasons both real and perceived we won't talk about, so what's our next topic that we can and will talk about?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 12:41
I can open the topic about things we can not talking about MM!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2013 at 13:53

What I'm curious about are the perceived advantages of a pope from one nation as opposed to another?  Shouldn't it be about his religious views, and specifically about the course he would plot for that papacy?

Hail Mary full of grace, Italians now in 2nd place. Big smile
Unknown.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2013 at 12:37
It's possible the next pope will be an African. There are bishops from Nigeria and Ghana very interested in the top job
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/17/first-black-pope-africa

Edited by Nick1986 - 22-Feb-2013 at 12:37
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2013 at 14:31
No buttocks inside their portfolio!Big smile
LeopoldPhilippe View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote LeopoldPhilippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2015 at 21:07
Church officials were not certain what Benedict XVI would be called after he left the Papacy. One possibility was "Bishop Emeritus of Rome".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12