Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spam from the PRC, [China]

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spam from the PRC, [China]
    Posted: 01-Feb-2013 at 14:28
We have been inundated with worthless spam, 99% of it from the PRC.  I have tried to file abuse complaints, but these providers don't even have an abuse channel.

In response, I am in the process of blocking all ip's assigned to China.  I've only blocked the most active to date, about 30%.  This has had a very positive effect, spam is down by more than 50%.  We haven't had a legit poster from there in 4-5 years.  So no big loss.

If anyone has a problem with this, take it to the Chinese, when they clean up their act, I'll reconsider.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
TITAN_ View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote TITAN_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2013 at 03:05
I wonder why so much spam is coming from China and not from other parts of the globe....
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 09:50
There are a number of reasons...but the major ones include: a.Theft of intellectual property and copyright infringements b. Theft of classified materials/tech; using spam as a means to break into restricted access areas by insertion of worm viruses c. theft of ad space to promote their commodities, goods and or services. d. international realpolitik in support of their major trading partners and Islamist terrorist allies and or other surrogates doing the same. Eg. DPRK.

Welcome to the 21st ce and cyber warfare.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply