Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Into the Unknown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Into the Unknown
    Posted: 13-Jan-2013 at 15:44
One of the great survival stories of early Antarctic exploration. Sir Douglas Mawson is not as well known as some explorers but his indomitable spirit, courage, loyalty, intellect and scientific kowledge and acumen stands with the best (Both Shackleton and Scott knew him well) .

Read about the exploit that led this Aussie to great fame and endearing affection not only among his countrymen but his peers as well.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Jan-2013 at 19:20
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2013 at 15:06
What motive did the early explorers have for reaching the South Pole? Were they seeking a passage to the Far East, or did the Antarctic have some vital raw material like oil?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2013 at 15:58
The broad based answer Nick...is multi faceted. And was certainly further enhanced viz the age of enlightenment imo.

First and foremost for the expeditionary leaders: personal fame, peer and national-international recognition of skill or field of expertise, fortune and advancement; as had been identified by the examples of their earlier expeditionary predecessors.

Secondly and certainly, ala the post Cook and Darwin expeditions, for the purpose of exploring unknown regions and climates to seek out opportunities for scientific experimentation or discovery.

Thirdly: Nationalistic identification and expansionism through acquisitions of territories and possible development of acquired resources. Which might then further trade and markets, establishment of routes (no matter how seemingly far fetched in the vicinity of those latitudes) and economic power.

Those have been the motivations that I have identified that would indicate a norm.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 10:21
Sounds similar to the ascent of Everest: because it's there
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2013 at 10:25
Indeed.

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply