Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Yalda at the end of the world!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy Yalda at the end of the world!!
    Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 12:23
Tomorrow night is Yalda, the longest night of the year, as usual we Iranians don't sleep on this night until the dawn to celebrate the victory of the REBORN Sun over the darkness, but this year seems to be different because some people say this time, this victory won't be repeated on December 21!!

Anyway Happy Yalda! Smile
Azita View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Suspended

Quote Azita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 12:34
Now that brings back memory's.

will you be whispering to any donkeys?

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 13:11
Originally posted by Azita

Now that brings back memory's.

will you be whispering to any donkeys?

I don't think any donkey can be found in Tehran, there are different customs and traditions of Yalda night in Iran, those things which certainly relate to this night and can be found almost everywhere are watermelon, pomegranate and nuts.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 13:25
Today is St.Nicola here,the one that fights the dark.Two days ago was Varvara,day was equal with night.
Hope will come better world after it.Smile(St.Nicola=Santa!?!)Next Monday day starts to grow up.As you can see we have 7 or 9 candles of Chanukkah(Hanuka).Depends of start day i believe.
      Happy Yalda Cyrus!
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 17:57
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Tomorrow night is Yalda, the longest night of the year, as usual we Iranians don't sleep on this night until the dawn to celebrate the victory of the REBORN Sun over the darkness, but this year seems to be different because some people say this time, this victory won't be repeated on December 21!!

Anyway Happy Yalda! Smile

Well as your spinning towards it first, before I; you will know before me.  However, I will post if I see you have made it through. The difference is 10.5 hours. Unless I am drinking...then? No guarantees.

Ntl. My best wishes for you and those, who hold Yalda special.

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Clifton, AZ.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2012 at 21:12

Happy Yalda. Care to tell us a little about the history of this special day?

Timidi mater non flet
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 03:40
More info about Yalda from PressTV (Iran's English language news agency): http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/19/279042/yalda-light-victory-over-darkness/

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:10PM GMT - Millions of Iranians around the world are preparing for the traditional Persian winter Solstice celebration, Yalda Night, symbolizing triumph of light over darkness.

Yalda Night (Yalda Eve), as the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere, is commemorated on or around December 20 or 21 each year.

The annual winter ceremony manifests the traditional concept of light and good prevailing over darkness and evil in the ancient Iranian religion.

According to Iranian mythology, from Yalda night forward, days grow longer. This celebration, based on the Iranian calendar, comes in the Persian month of Day, named after the pre-Zoroastrian god of creation and light (Deity).

Yalda has a root in Zoroastrian belief, to be exact, Mithraism religion. The Mithraists believed that Mithra, the Persian god of light and truth, was born to a virgin mother in the morning of the longest night of the year, symbolizing the Sun god overcoming the powers of darkness.

Having the belief, ancient Iranians gathered in caves throughout the night to witness this miracle together at dawn. They were known as 'Yar-e Ghar' (Cave Mates).

According to some beliefs narrated in Persian poetry, many unpleasant events such as the separation between loved ones, loneliness and waiting would be over after Yalda Night (dubbed Shab-e Yalda or Shab-e Chelleh in Persian).

Nowadays,Yalda has become a social occasion when friends and family gather to eat, drink and practice bibliomancy with the poetry of the highly respected mystic Iranian poet, Hafez.

Fruits, particularly pomegranates and watermelons, and nuts are served in this night. The fruits signify the hope for having a fruitful spring and summer.

The red-colored fruits are believed to symbolize the crimson hues of dawn and glow of life, invoking the glory of Mithra. Pomegranates with angelica powder are also believed to protect individuals against the Devil.

Yalda Night was officially added to Iran's List of National Treasures during a special ceremony in 2008.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 04:00
Ah yes....now I remember.....nexus with Mithraism. I always liked that theology...a warrior's creed if ever there was one.

But then again I also like Zoroastrianism
Ahura Mazda versus Angra Mainyu.

Ought to be a great fight.

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Clifton, Az.

S. T. Friedman

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 04:09
Today the most important thing for Iranian women is "Watermelon of Yalda", this is the third watermelon that my wife is already working on it, she hopes her work is chosen as the best one tonight.

Some watermelons of Yalda:

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2012 at 04:18
They look to pretty to eat.
Best of luck on your wife's watermelon.Thumbs Up

Now to sleep...to be in shape...to see if your still there at midnight...my time.Big smile

Hq's in the Field
Apache NF
Vic: Clifton, AZ.

S. T. Friedman

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2013 at 17:23
Happy Yule, Yalda and Nardugan Big smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2013 at 23:58
This night is Yalda, I wish the best for all of you! :)
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 00:54
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

This night is Yalda, I wish the best for all of you! :)

How Mullahs give a permission to celebrate Yalda and is there any open-air celebration in Iran like new year eve in Turkeyhttp://www.haberaj.com/images/posts/53f9ec1edfb79947_500x333.jpg
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 01:08
Do You have big fires outside like a support for light on this night,Cyrus?!?Smile
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 02:13
Yalda has been always a very familial ceremony, so there is no outside celebration, the Persian new year is some months later at the beginning of spring, some days before the Persian new year there is a great fire festival named Charshanbe Suri.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 02:31
There is a Char(Magic) in your festival Cyrus:Smile
NOTE:Today suffix "i" in "Slavic" languages is plural.

Edited by medenaywe - 22-Dec-2013 at 02:39
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 03:05
Char/Chahr means four in Persian.

Anyway unfortunately celebration has no meaning in current Iran, we celebrate Christmas with our Santa Claus:

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 03:10
We call your Charshanbe Suri,Prochka=Forgiving day!It is in the beginning of Spring.It has to be in
Sunday i suppose.Young people go to elder people to ask forgivness.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 03:13
There are big fires outside on this day.Big enviromental catastrophy cause today kids use tyres they have collected during the year.Before they used grass&wood.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2013 at 03:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>