Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Korean Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Korean Crisis
    Posted: 06-May-2005 at 15:10
American intelligence now estimates that the North Koreans might be preparting to test a nuclear weapon and in April, their main nuclear reactor was shut down, which is probably to remove spent fuel rods to process for nuclear warheads.

Now, what should we do? I do not think military action is a very good idea given how few available troops we have, and the fact that North Korea is a nation on its way out and it will die fairly soon without the need for Americans and Koreans to die.

I think that in some way, China must be forced to use leverage against the North Koreans because they are Kim Jong Il's only large trading partner. I think it would be worth trying to make the Chinese help us by telling them that unless they help us, we will apply the tariffs and quotas on Chinese textiles that many have been talking about recently. All sorts of economic leverage could be used on the Chinese given how much they rely on exports to us.

I do have to say, I really think Clinton bungled this terribly. He provided the North Koreans with almost a billion dollars worth of aid, including two light water nuclear reactors that Bush later canceled the development of, in return for dropping their nuclear program, which they flagrantly violated and used our aid to finance their nuclear program.  In effect we bankrolled their nuclear program.  This was also all after they said they were going to drop out of the Non-Proliferation Treaty.

It should not be surprising that the North Koreans are doing provocative things now when in the past Clinton rewarded (dare I say appeased?) them for it in the past.
Member of IAEA
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 16:38

I do agree with you, Jim.
China should be forced to play an active role on this situation. South Korea and Japan should remain as spectators on this situation, while the chinese brings to the North Korea back to conversations, without any B.S. in the middle like playing walk away from the conversations table.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 17:07
for once I agree with Genghis.
North Korea still exists because it get money from other countries by promising them not to do all kind of thins (which they usually break). If this stops, an important source of money will fall dry, and it will be more difficult for the rgime to sustain itself.
Military action against North Korea is not an option, mainly because they have nukes, which is a little dangerous regarding the fact that Seoul has >20 million inhabitants.
 Post Reply Post Reply