Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What if Vienna were conquered?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if Vienna were conquered?
    Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:36
I really wonder what would happen
"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 12:49
Maybe the Ottomans would succeed in gaining the red apple (Kizil Alma)...
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 13:00
What is the red apple???
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 14:34

It is an ancient common name that is given to the universal goal of Turkic nation, and Oguz people inherited it from them. Then, Turkmens inherited this from Oguz and at last, Ottomans/Turkey Turks inherited this from Turkmens. This is like a flag carrying race, the evolution of an upper macro national idea to rule the earth and conquer the west with the God's order.

For Ottomans, to reach the red apple was only possible with beating Rome (Romans, also Greeks were called Romans). The same situation of the idea of conquering the west was also for Huns and others. 

Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 00:08

It is an ancient common name that is given to the universal goal of Turkic nation, and Oguz people inherited it from them. Then, Turkmens inherited this from Oguz and at last, Ottomans/Turkey Turks inherited this from Turkmens. This is like a flag carrying race, the evolution of an upper macro national idea to rule the earth and conquer the west with the God's order.

In other word the end of proper civilization and reign of tyranny.

Guess what, with the fall of Vienna, French, German, british, italians and Spanish would have swarmed all over you Turks and killed you to the last.  

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 03:23

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

For Ottomans, to reach the red apple was only possible with beating Rome (Romans, also Greeks were called Romans). The same situation of the idea of conquering the west was also for Huns and others. 

That's very interesting. There's a folk tale in Greek storytelling that mentions that Emperor Constantine Paleologus, did not die when Constantinople was taken (his body was never found, remember?). Instead he was hidden in a secret chamber of Agia Sophia from where he will emmerge some day to chase the Turks back to the Red Apple Tree, where they came from!

So, it's like your story but backwards. Probably the 15th century Greeks have heard this Red Apple thing by the Ottomans, but didn't quite understand it's meaning. The red apple, in the Greek story, is back where Turks have started. I wonder what it symbolizes and why...

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 05:17

History , its learning , its analysis amd its comprhension , is a scientific process .

History , is based on facts . The Chaos theory of Math does not apply to history , it applies to fiction and fantasy books.

Noone is able to predict what would have happene if Alexander the Great lived to his 70's . Or , noone can say what would have been the shape of the world , if Alexander , instead of East , had turned West ( i remind u that at this time , Rome was emerging..)

U live in an appartment and the exit door is exactly at the centre of the distance from the bus station either u turn left or right . Everyday u take the right turn and u go for the bus ..... If one day , for no apparent reason u take the left turn , u may fall and break ur leg , and at the same tine , u may miss the chance to meet this blonde who might have been ur future wife...

Too many parameters , too many guesses ..... no positive and worth analysing result.

Same thing with the fall of Vienna....whatever speculation u may have , has equal value. If Vienna have fallen , today we might be ruled by extraterrestrials from Alfa Centauri....

Pointless discussion , from my point of view.

Isk.

Edited by iskenderani
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 05:37

I think if the Turks had taken Vienna it could have gone either way for them/.....

It could have been an impetus for even more expansion and the chaotic situation in the HRE would have allowed this....Perhpas a joint Prostestant Turkish army could have marched into Rome and taken care of that...most pernicious of institutions once and for all.

Or, it could have inspired many Europeans to but aside their squabbles and unite, which would probably end up eventually causing a faster decline to the Ottomans then they ended up getting in real life, who knows?

I know personally if I was a protestant rebel in Europe at this time and the Turks took Vienna I would ally with them to crush Austria, then once that was done I would call for Christian unity and get others to help me resist the Turks.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 05:38
Originally posted by iskenderani

History , its learning , its analysis amd its comprhension , is a scientific process .

History , is based on facts . The Chaos theory of Math does not apply to history , it applies to fiction and fantasy books.

Noone is able to predict what would have happene if Alexander the Great lived to his 70's . Or , noone can say what would have been the shape of the world , if Alexander , instead of East , had turned West ( i remind u that at this time , Rome was emerging..)

U live in an appartment and the exit door is exactly at the centre of the distance from the bus station either u turn left or right . Everyday u take the right turn and u go for the bus ..... If one day , for no apparent reason u take the left turn , u may fall and break ur leg , and at the same tine , u may miss the chance to meet this blonde who might have been ur future wife...

Too many parameters , too many guesses ..... no positive and worth analysing result.

Same thing with the fall of Vienna....whatever speculation u may have , has equal value. If Vienna have fallen , today we might be ruled by extraterrestrials from Alfa Centauri....

Pointless discussion , from my point of view.

Isk.

One cannot fully appreciate history if one only knows what did happen, what didnt happen is just as important, sometimes even more so.

-Alexander Hamilton
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 07:43
If Vienna had been conquered Europe would have been shocked, but not defeated (as many like to think). The Holy Roman empire, France, Italy, Spain and Britain would still be left to deal with
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 08:08
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

That's very interesting. There's a folk tale in Greek storytelling that mentions that Emperor Constantine Paleologus, did not die when Constantinople was taken (his body was never found, remember?). Instead he was hidden in a secret chamber of Agia Sophia from where he will emmerge some day to chase the Turks back to the Red Apple Tree, where they came from!

So, it's like your story but backwards. Probably the 15th century Greeks have heard this Red Apple thing by the Ottomans, but didn't quite understand it's meaning. The red apple, in the Greek story, is back where Turks have started. I wonder what it symbolizes and why...

Yeahyeah  they never found his body even though he charged to his death(heroic man)

wonder if the'll ever find a secret chamber?

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 08:10

The Holy Roman empire, France, Italy, Spain and Britain would still be left to deal with

Britain was not that strong at the first siege,france was our ally,And the holy roman empire did not even risk a battle with us.

Spain was very powerful,but i don't know about italy

iskenderani View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote iskenderani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 08:16
Originally posted by Tobodai

One cannot fully appreciate history if one only knows what did happen, what didnt happen is just as important, sometimes even more so.

Sure....The phrase is correct and it makes sense....and it is applicable in one undeniably established fact : Vienna did not fall....

From this point u can examine what happen or not to the defenders and what happen or not to the attackers and decide which was more important.

But establishing a completely fictious hstorical point and trying from there to speculate on what might have happen or not to the defenders and to the attackers , leads nowhere , as the variables are too many to manipulate...

Good for a history novel , but not for a history research.

Isk.

Edited by iskenderani
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 08:29
I have to agree with Isk, these "what if" discussions are good only for amusement and -sometimes- for inteligent guesses...

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 09:23
then move it to historical amusement section.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 12:57

Then the europeans would be too busy fighting agaisnt the turkish. The conquest of America would be postponed or be taken by the turkish.
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2005 at 14:57

It depends...

If it was the second siege I suppose that wouldnt have stopped the decline of the Empire.Maybe they would be able to cling on to their European territories for another century but not much else.

But if the first had succeeded (which was less likely to happen than the     second  one)then Suleyman might have sent the Austrian scientists back to Istanbul (Suleyman wasnt dumb or extremely religious he knew the value of scentists and science)They might have helped Ottoman science and might have prevented the decline.Politically  at that time  france was enjoying financial privileges in the Eastern Mediterrainean which was in Ottoman hands so I doubt they would have attacked.Britain was fighting spain, Italy had problems of its own and Russia was fighting the Tatar Khanates. So only the Holy Roman Empire,Austria and maybe Poland would try to attack the Turks who were quire strong at the time  I guess it wouldnt have been bad for us but I am not sure about Europe....

Edited by Gazi
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 09:21
I reckon its fair to say that the Ottoman's would have had their hands tied with the amount of countries they were taking on. What really is wierd is that it took Ottomans two mass invasions into Vienna and both failed while Napoleon only took a month or two against and he was walking through Vienna not to mention the Austrians had Russian and British help.

Edited by snake2k5
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 11:31
Originally posted by snake2k5

I reckon its fair to say that the Ottoman's would have had their hands tied with the amount of countries they were taking on. What really is wierd is that it took Ottomans two mass invasions into Vienna and both failed while Napoleon only took a month or two against and he was walking through Vienna not to mention the Austrians had Russian and British help.

Yeah but that was almost 2 centuries afterwards so artillery and communications were better.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2005 at 21:10
Originally posted by iskenderani

Originally posted by Tobodai

Sure....The phrase is correct and it makes sense....and it is applicable in one undeniably established fact : Vienna did not fall....

From this point u can examine what happen or not to the defenders and what happen or not to the attackers and decide which was more important.

But establishing a completely fictious hstorical point and trying from there to speculate on what might have happen or not to the defenders and to the attackers , leads nowhere , as the variables are too many to manipulate...

Good for a history novel , but not for a history research.

Isk.

How can we possibly appreciate what truly has happened without appreciating what hasnt happened?  There would be no such thing as a descisive battle had not the alternative had the potential to make a drastically different world.We can not truly appreciate the facts of our past if we merely accept what has happened as a foregone conclusion. 

-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>