Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romans vs Stormtroopers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romans vs Stormtroopers
    Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 20:32
A squad of stormtroopers find themselves transported back to the Iron Age and are taken in by the local Goth chieftain. Their mission: defend the Fatherland from Roman invasion and capture a gold eagle. Between them and the Gothic reinforcements is a whole Roman legion. Can the Stormtroopers hold off the Romans long enough for more Goths to arrive, or will the discipline of the legion triumph?

Stormtroopers

Luger pistol
Mauser box cannon
Mauser rifle
Bergmann submachine-gun
Madsen machine gun
Potato masher grenade
Bayonet
Knife
Trench club
Shovel

Romans

Gladius
Pilum
Bow
Sling
Lorica segmentata armor
Shield
Who wins?
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 20:39
How many Germans in a squad?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 20:51
Let's say about 20 or 30 men, plus a captain, sergeant and corporal. How many Romans are there?

Edited by Nick1986 - 14-Sep-2012 at 20:52
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 21:07
Depends on the legion but on average 5,000 men in all. This includes the 300 cavalry and velites.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 22:03
The Stormtroopers would easily do it, and would do so even if there was only half of the men stated.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 22:31
Romans. Sheer numbers make it an easy choice.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 22:47
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Romans. Sheer numbers make it an easy choice.
Even one Stormtrooper opening up with one of his weapons would have such an effect psychologically, that almost instantly the Roman will have lost. It's quite obvious really. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 23:28
Nope not at all. A simple flanking maneuver, ambush, rain, fog, or anything could doom the Romans. Actually they probably don't have enough ammo to kill even a fifth of them. Its quite simply really the sheer number of enemies will frighten the Germans into running away. They can't possibly stop a charge. Plus the Romans have cavalry.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 23:45

Nope not at all. A simple flanking maneuver, ambush, rain, fog, or anything could doom the Romans. Actually they probably don't have enough ammo to kill even a fifth of them. Its quite simply really the sheer number of enemies will frighten the Germans into running away. They can't possibly stop a charge. Plus the Romans have cavalry.
You've got to be kidding right? Neither the Romans nor their horses have experience the sound of guns being fired, let alone the magic stick pointing at someone and them dying. These Stormtroopers would have been considered gods. End result, Romans are stopped in their tracks in terror, turn around and make a hasty retreat.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2012 at 23:52
Well guess what? Everything you just said is pure speculation. The fact is they don't have the ammo or the numbers to kill 1,000 Romans, much less 5,000.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:03

Well guess what? Everything you just said is pure speculation. The fact is they don't have the ammo or the numbers to kill 1,000 Romans, much less 5,000.
Pure speculation on an alternative history thread, really!
First of all, Delenda est Roma, fear alone will will drive out all semblance of rational thought. Secondly how many of those Romans have any idea whatsoever of the capabilities of these Stormtrooper sorcerers with their rods of power just by looking at them? 
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:10
When they find out they bleed red and slaughter them?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:19

When they find out they bleed red and slaughter them?
Lets allow the Stormtroopers the intelligence of firing their weapons while the Romans were at a distance away. The Romans are not going to get the opportunity to see Stormtrooper blood at the time, and will be turning and running soon after.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:38
Not when there are 5,000 Romans and 20 Germans....
Itll be a pitiful battle really. They could just kill them with arrows or slings or ballista. Or just overwhelm them. The first people to use gunpowder didn't really suprise anyone. The Romans had liquid fire and numerous much scarier weapons. Anyway most Romans wouldn't hear the guns anyway as they charge. It would literally be impossible to hear the shots of 20 guns over the sounds of 5,000 charging men.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:46

Not when there are 5,000 Romans and 20 Germans....
Itll be a pitiful battle really. They could just kill them with arrows or slings or ballista. Or just overwhelm them. The first people to use gunpowder didn't really suprise anyone. The Romans had liquid fire and numerous much scarier weapons. Anyway most Romans wouldn't hear the guns anyway as they charge. It would literally be impossible to hear the shots of 20 guns over the sounds of 5,000 charging men.
The second the notion of the Stormtroopers being gods enters the Romans minds that would be enough for a rethink from them. It's not as if they are likely to have not been culturally prone to the idea of not getting on the wrong side of gods.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 00:54
You rely on the fact that they will think the Germans are gods......
I rest my case
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 01:10

You rely on the fact that they will think the Germans are gods......
I rest my case
Put yourself in the place of the Roman soldiers. You believe your lives are ruled over by the gods and how you appease them. You see these strange figures before you wielding what would seem to you as supernatural powers from a short wand or staff. Why wouldn't the Romans see something supernatural in what they are seeing?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 08:39
Because they are human and as non godlike as possible. Also tere are 5,000 of them easy Roman victory
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 08:47

Because they are human and as non godlike as possible. Also tere are 5,000 of them easy Roman victory
Being human hasn't stopped people considering other humans as gods before, what makes you believe they couldn't do the same with these Stormtroopers? The number of men is irrelevant when it comes to designation of deities.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2012 at 09:20
It doesn't matter. Use common sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>