Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Still lacking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still lacking
    Posted: 03-Sep-2012 at 20:24
Sadly I must admit that in the general sense I remain non-impressed with the way current K-12 instruction and even higher.. is occurring reference the great Lady that is history. Some schools certainly do better then others.....but if contributions that I recently assisted in reviewing and judging in a local contest are any indication.....then much work remains to be done. And I also must admit that most of my recent observations reference blogs, forums and chat rooms for a variety of reasons are equally disappointing.

Disjointed ramblings and reflections on everything from what constitutes history to hidden agendas; revisionism; nationalistic fervor and prejudice; speculation that isn't even good to glamorization and rejection-ism of counter opinion and rejection of critique....these remain the realms of the poorly trained; the 'instant moment' amateur seeking ego recognition and confirmation....tsk tsk tut tut....what a mess.

Certainly not in all cases. For one must always remember that even the interest, if analysis and commentary is poor...is better then none at all.

But just barely.

Because while it's factual to state one doesn't have to be a 'sme' in history, for example on a blog.....in the real world of academia which often includes members of blog sites...continuing positive education and adherence to the method remains the key to their recognition of the veracity and value of even the layman or amateur. Or being ignored as a feigned intellectualist. Fair? Who said it was fair. It's a fact.

One must also always remember the 'level' of the commentator, the educational background and experience and whether he or she have been the recipients of insufficient and or just plain poor instruction by poor instructors. Alas far to many suffer from that and it remains obvious.

But here at AE we have some exceptional individuals who consistently demonstrate quality and devotion to the method. Topic presentation and objective analysis. Toltec-Nick-Mountain Man-Okamido-Uncle Fred-Red Clay-TJ Adams-Salah just to name a few. And we have recently seen a new member exhibit the basics and demonstrated passion of the aspiring (that always so important first step to remembering objectivity); so cudos must go to heyamigos.

So I continue to take heart. And in keeping with the general line of the thread... refer you to the following of which I have been a member for years. The people you read about are exceptional contributors and proponents of that which is necessary to encourage-educate-judge and sustain all those with an interest in history....from the weary and ill prepared amateurs to the next DG Chandler.

Enjoy the link and the articles.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 03-Sep-2012 at 20:39
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 09:35
CV, what do you mean by the method?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 17:36

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 21:17
I'm sure they're pretty good, CV, but for me I'd need a translator to get through them, and a couple of pain killers to stop my head hurting. I guess it's unlikely my posts are going to improve much very soon.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 21:32
Nonsense. All else fails..drink heavily...take two apirin... And then continue to do your best. No one will fault..certainly not I..an honest effort.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 29-Sep-2012 at 21:32

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 21:49
Well, CV, I don't drink, but if you're recommending me taking to heavy drinking, then maybe it's about time I get myself a bottle of something quite strong in the morning.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 22:00
Never do what you don't want to Alani. Too many will come back and say 'i told ya so'.
At my age.. drinking my special home made tiswin and chasing women at the squaw dances..are the great comforts now in life.  The dog died and the mule aint worth a damn....Iow. The rest is merely boring.Wink

S. T. Friedman

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2012 at 23:18
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Never do what you don't want to Alani. Too many will come back and say 'i told ya so'.
At my age.. drinking my special home made tiswin and chasing women at the squaw dances..are the great comforts now in life.  The dog died and the mule aint worth a damn....Iow. The rest is merely boring.Wink
Hey, what have I got to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply