Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Botany Bay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Botany Bay
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:28

On April 29 1770 James Cook landed in a harbor with an abundance of stingrays. The naturalists Banks and Solander went ashore and discovered many new plants, giving the bay its current name. 18 years later the first colonists arrived: British convicts sentenced to transportation
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 17:07

Not a bad idea for a 'prison' really-- considering the 'Hulks' the convicts may have ended up on and better that a death sentence.

If I remember correctly not much thought was put into the composition of the convicts who were supposed to establish the colony.

For instance only one fisherman/convict and one shipwright/convict was included even though fishing was supposed to be developed.

Having said that these two were given the resources and time to build a fishing boat-- which when completed they promptly sailed away in!
cymru am byth
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by Kevinmeath

Not a bad idea for a 'prison' really-- considering the 'Hulks' the convicts may have ended up on and better that a death sentence.

If I remember correctly not much thought was put into the composition of the convicts who were supposed to establish the colony.

For instance only one fisherman/convict and one shipwright/convict was included even though fishing was supposed to be developed.

Having said that these two were given the resources and time to build a fishing boat-- which when completed they promptly sailed away in!

And ya got to love a jail break considering the challenges involved.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 18:19
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Originally posted by Kevinmeath

And ya got to love a jail break considering the challenges involved.

Yep cheers at the building of Australia's first boat to which the crew cheers waves to the crowd and sails over the horizon.

They didn't get 'far' --- only a few thousand miles!!! because where were they supposed to go?,

If I remember correctly they were aiming for 'China' (and what the fek are a few working class Brits going to do in China?) but had no idea where or how far away it was anyway.

Having said that read an article about some Cornish fishermen hit by the potato blight (same as it Ireland) who decide to sail their boat to Australia ,can not be that far can it now?!-- months later a little boat arrives in Sydney harbour with some bearded Cornish/Welshmen saying 'Bit further than I thought like!'

cymru am byth
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 20:20
The soil was unsuitable for farming and many colonists died of starvation when the supply ships failed to arrive
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 19:24

Convicts' sleeping quarters at Hyde Park Barracks, built in Sydney in 1818 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 19:01
Useful website for our Aussie members trying to trace their ancestors
http://www.convictconnections.org.au/botany-bay.html
toyomotor View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

BANNED TROLL

Quote toyomotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2014 at 20:38
There's a bit of misinformation floating about in regards to the New South Wales Penal Colony at Botany Bay.

Initially, the first settlers were Free Men. They established the basic camp, and then the town.

When the convicts began to pour in, they were put to work building and attending to farming, including crops.

There was a reasonable mix of trades within the free settlers, and some of the convicts had skills required for construction and maintenance.

Not all of the convicts were criminals, in the modern day accepted sense. Some were simply the occupants of the Poor Houses in England, and others were political prisoners, particularly among the Irish. In many cases Irish men who had been involved in the Agrarian Revolts in Ireland, or were members of what the English considered to be subversive groups, such as The White Boys, were transported for Life, so that they could never return to Ireland and stir up trouble. The English Government even paid for their families to travel to Australia free of charge, as a further incentive to stay.

All in all, those prisoners who behaved themselves were generally treated well by their free settler bosses and went on the become land owners or business proprietors themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply