Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dynamic Apathy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamic Apathy
    Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Incidentally, Nick, this will give you a very good idea of one of my passions!  Cool

Edited by Mountain Man - 24-Aug-2012 at 20:03
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:11
Off-roading? That's a cool-looking jeepThumbs Up
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 00:02
The old roads up to the high passes and ghost towns are long gone, but the old railroad grades are still there, and can be navigated by vehicles like this one, which is why we bought it - that, and we're Geocachers.

You would be surprised where some of those old railroad tracks used to go.  Big smile

Edited by Mountain Man - 25-Aug-2012 at 00:04
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 02:46
Originally posted by Mountain Man

That's OK, Nick.  I have just discovered the answer to the question abut why no one wants to post, having received a warning that I may be punished for this thread.  Ouch

So - what would you like to talk about?  Big smile

If so and it was from a Mod or the Owner-Admin..it would have posted openly and not normally a Pm. Assuming it was as there has been none in the thread. The rule of thumb is informal in the thread and then as necessary official in the sub dealing with it. Hence and as I do not know who did it nor want to know...advise ya to take in stride and either consider the value if any and do what you feel is appropriate.

I do not have to lecture you about the coc. U have trod the boards to long. And U have trod them with me on varying venues for over 5 years. And to date nothing you have commented on... is or has been a violation. And as you have seen me preach...  you maintained a civil attitude. So has everyone in this thread for that matter. And that's what we strive for.

And it's a given that a member should be able to openly respond to a Mod and or their position even if it's a counter. And vice versus.  Its What makes us an objective and informed community. And not a bunch of overt feigned intellectual cliquists no matter the educational level or credentials or life experience. 

If at some point that degrads then otoh it's a staff members responsibility to correct it.

And We all by now, less the spammers-trollers, understand that. 

Recommendations for improvements should be made PM to the Owner-Admin to avoid contentious and or argumentative comments and avoid flame wars among members and miscommunication of the intent behind the recommendation.

My only minor point of disagreement, with any of the above, is whether a Mod's responsibility includes motivating members.....and imo, it most certainly does. If for no other reason then it instills in the membership a realization that the staff is interested in them as members and what they are attempting to bring to the forum. In the way of interests, subject matter and participation. As does that responsibility include attracting new membership

Now that was the Mod speakingWink now comes the memberBig smile .....and a response to the op's original question.

The reasons for apathy here or elsewhere defined as dynamic or other...is usually a consequence of multi layers of causation. Among them include personal issues and concerns that require posters to either leave or limit their participation. Another is personality conflicts between members and or members and staff. Others include daily life responsibilities to include work..education....other hobbies and activities etc. etc.

It has also included poor management and staff interaction, in the past, based on aforementioned cliques, among them, and egos. And those who stroked them in an effort to gain a superior positions of recognition. That was true here once..... but no more.

It has included attempts to proselyte an ideological-political and or theological position, excessive nationalism, bigotry, anti-semitism, hatred of other nation states and their roles at any given time in history over contentious issues etc.....with no allowance for opposition or presentation of a counter in an objective fashion. This too has been done here. But no longer. With in reason, all may be examined and all remain welcome until a CoC violation occurs. I might not like em and may think their delusional in nature, in private...but I'm going to support their examination. As does the Owner-Admin. Bet.

Another reason is because members here may have come because, for whatever reason, they got a boot elsewhere. But because they enjoy the social interaction they have gone elsewhere. Even tho this place; might not have been where there heart's lie and they then left when they found that few of their former forum friends on "x' would now join them on 'Y'.

And because membership and participation is cyclic....always been... always will be... and I should know.... having been blogging for nearly 20 years.

In the end, it is completely justifiable to pose the original question and receive whatever responses are provided. To assume otherwise is to assume we have forgotten why we are here...and that's to facilitate and support civil and objective discourse about history. And the place on which we do it.Smile

And that was my response as a member to the question.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 25-Aug-2012 at 03:50
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 12:07
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

My only minor point of disagreement, with any of the above, is whether a Mod's responsibility includes motivating members.....and imo, it most certainly does. If for no other reason then it instills in the membership a realization that the staff is interested in them as members and what they are attempting to bring to the forum. In the way of interests, subject matter and participation. As does that responsibility include attracting new membership

Having an interest toward members and showing it, and advertsig the AE  - I agree with that. My point was that how many posts and where a member would do is something that no mod nor anyone else can say or require. Nor does that mean that a particular member who doesn't post right now is apathetic by any means, sometimes people rather read, sometimes to write a good post requires materilas that are unavailable in the moment, etc; this doesn't mean that the said person doesn't have an interest towards the forum. This is my opinion anyway.

Edited by Don Quixote - 27-Aug-2012 at 12:10
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 12:17
We are guardians&moderators!Obey&serve!Big smileSempre Fi,can chivalry man!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 13:35
Originally posted by Mountain Man

That's OK, Nick.  I have just discovered the answer to the question abut why no one wants to post, having received a warning that I may be punished for this thread.  Ouch

So - what would you like to talk about?  Big smile

So, you practiced medicine for 30 years?  Well, like they say, practice makes perfect.  Don't get down on yourself, someday you'll get it right.

First off, while I am not able to read PMs, I can see who is sending and receiving and when.  You did not rec. any before your post.  You did however send one to CV.

I have just re-read your initial posting in this thread.  I'm not impressed.  And you should be aware of the fact that no one else was either.

You blanket smear the entire community, and attempt to dazzle us with your superior intellect, self assessed,  pretty much label everyone that responded to your post as idiots, and then you ask, what do we want to talk about?

We don't judge folks here based on their educational or intellectual background.  It's enough that you have a genuine interest in things historic.

In short, you have judged us, not the other way around.

So the question is, if the level of discussion is not suited to your lofty intellectual levels, why are you here?

You will not be "punished" for this thread.  But speaking in defense of the moderator staff, they responded well to your post and attempted to find the cause of your dissatisfaction.  They had no way of knowing you were setting them up.  Be honest[try something new] you were deliberately setting them up.
I will make this as clear as possible, do it again and I will suspend you permanently.

Edited by red clay - 27-Aug-2012 at 13:39
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 15:16
If you checked my PM's, you are aware that the threat message was received after the post.  If you wish, I can provide you with the identity of the member who sent the PM.  It was not Centrix Vigilus.

It was not my intent to "judge" the forum, just as  I am sure it wasn't the intent of the poster to "judge" me when he openly implied that I was either a liar or unintelligent, because according to your post, that would be a bannable offense on his part.

Please accept my open apology to the entire forum if I have, in any way, committed an offense of such heinous nature.
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 16:22
Well on another note Mountain Man is a good and productive member of this forum :3
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 10:52
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Well on another note Mountain Man is a good and productive member of this forum :3

Your support is noted.  However, it should be stated that, as of now anyway, not everyone feels as you do.

It's up to MM to live up to your assessment.
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 12:24
Mountain out of a Molehill Man? 

Edited by unclefred - 28-Aug-2012 at 12:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12