Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Civil War US seeks revenge on Great Britain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Civil War US seeks revenge on Great Britain
    Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 20:46
Oh bull. There weren't nearly enough Indians to do that besides the fact the US obviouslt leave enough border forces to deal with them. Your logic= a nation with vastly more and more experienced soldiers can't defeat the hugely outnumbered Canadians. The fact is mostly only major and mid size towns would be taken and quite easily at that. A qucik suprise attack and Canada is doomed. The US can then garrison and build up defences . Suprise is the real killer here.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 21:08
There's no need to be rude Delenda. Respect is earned by being civil to others

The British control over half the world and have a large military with years of experience in colonial wars. Ever thought about the delays and casualties the US would take trying to storm Canada's forts? If they do manage to capture one, there are many others. A 60000 strong army advancing out of the US is very conspicuous and would attract the interest of the militia and regular commanders. They were prepared for invasion due to the many Fenian incursions at this time. Once reinforcements arrive it's game over for the Americans as many British troops sent to suppress the Indian Mutiny and fight in the Chinese Opium War were returning home, including the Cameron Highlanders, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Somerset Light Infantry, Buffs, and Green Howards. Don't underestimate Canada's own militia as they beat the Americans the last time they tried to invade. I don't know the exact number of regular British troops in Canada, but Toltec might
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 21:15
Sorry I can't continue this discussion civilly when you reference a totally different situation from 50 years before and as Jack has shown distort facts, not on purpose of course but still. You let your prejudice instead of good sense shine through here. I'm sorry mate but Canada cannot withstand a full US invasion with the number of veterans the US has. An attack after Canada is taken by the British is possible, but by the time the Brits get there Canada will be conquered.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 07:34

Delenda, much as i admire the Civil War era US army, they are no match for the world's leading superpower with large reserves of troops to call upon: English, Scots, Welsh, Irish, Canadians, Africans, Indians and Australians. There's also the Royal Marines who, in addition to being sailors, were trained to fight as both infantry and artillerymen on land and at sea (supported by landing parties of sailors armed with rifles and cutlasses). I can't see the Brits losing this war, unless something unforeseen happened: Queen Victoria was assassinated, an epidemic devastated the population of Canada (while miraculously sparing the US), or Britain declared war on another European power like France, Russia, Prussia or Austria-Hungary. Even if the Yankees do win the war (say some inept British general leads his entire army into a trap), there will be longstanding resentment from Britain and frequent rebellions and uprisings in Canada, culminating in the Canadian War of Independence in which a British invasion force would almost certainly intervene to help the rebels

Edited by Nick1986 - 23-Aug-2012 at 07:35
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2012 at 08:23
I recommend you look up the Red River Rebellion.
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 15:12
We might take time out here to consider terrain and mobility issues.

What was the road network like in those days?  What conditions were those roads in?  How easy would it have been to move those 6,000 men to an engagement, and to keep them supplied?  In this respect, you might consider the established military rule of thumb: a successful attack requires at least a three to one advantage.

My personal opinion, honed by a career in the military and knowledge of what happened to the historical invaders of Russia, is that America would have found itself invading a vast, largely uncivilized/unsettled giant that it could not hope to conquer entirely, much less hold...or justify politically to the government back home paying the bills.

How big do you imagine the occupation force for Canada would have to have been?  Where would all of those soldiers - a whole lot more than 6000 - have come from?  There is an old Army maxim: Taking ground isn't the real problem; holding it IS.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 15:41
Ummm how about the over 500,000 soldiers the US could raise?
Kevinmeath View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kevinmeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 17:06
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Ummm how about the over 500,000 soldiers the US could raise?
Raise how quickly? its 1868 the large Union armies (I presume ) or de-mobilised.

are the men going to rush 'back to the colours'? some yes others will think I've done my bit no thanks.

Ok introduce the draft-- very popular with voters?

The cost --trade is a best in a shambles because you are at war with one of your major trading partners, who also has the largest merchant fleet in the world.

You are attacking their trade , they are attacking yours.

This large expensive army , part of a large expensive war for what? to  'settle some scores' with Britain  for real or imagined slights and to force Canadians to be Americans.

Can not see this winning many votes at all.
cymru am byth
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 17:08
This is purely hypothetcial...
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 17:53
It's true there were French Canadians who had no love for the queen, but they also wouldn't take kindly to a Yankee invasion force. They'd resist, as you probably would if a foreign country invaded your state
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 18:00
If my state was ruled by another country I'd side with the invader,
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 18:06
Even if the invader was Red China or Russia?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 18:20
I wouldn't care. If another state ruled me anyone who invades is a friend.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:01
Sometimes it's better to have the devil you know than the one you don't. Remember how the Iraqis and Afghans sided with us when we invaded, but quickly turned against us just a few years later? The French Canadians would probably do the same thing once independence was secured, or ask Napoleon III to send troops to protect them from the Yanks
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:00
Which he might try and then fail epicly. France was in no condition for another foreign disaster.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 19:11

The Frogs would almost certainly lose as they were severely weakened by the war in Mexico, but the Yanks would be forced to divert many troops to pacify the French-speaking parts of Canada, otherwise the uprising would spread. This would give the Brits time to regroup: sappers would tunnel under forts captured by the Americans (probably still undergoing repairs) and blow them up, artillery would rain shells on the defenders, line infantry would exploit the weakend defenses and the Marines (provided with covering fire from British ironclads) would storm ashore and finish off the last American defenders. They would have the advantage due to their extensive experience of storming Chinese forts and their blue uniforms which would confuse the Yankees
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 19:29
Nope. See the Americans learned to use mines very well this would easily keep back any ships even i4onclads. As for ming ever geard of countermining? What artillery? Chinese forts and blue uniforms? Come back to reality mate.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:23
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2012 at 19:26
I've read about them. Do you know how inferior their technology was?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 19:06
Not as inferior as you might think. Their earthen pallisades strengthened with brickwork were a more primitive version of the shell-proof defenses of European and US Civil War-era forts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>