Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Pyrrhus of Epirus
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrrhus of Epirus
    Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 00:14
What is anyone's opinion on this man as a military leader and king?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 00:20
Who was He?!?SmileWhich did language speak?Do we have some original document from those days?What does His name means?There is a province in Albania named with His name-Epir-us...
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 00:32
Pyrrhus or Pyrrhos (Greek: Πύρρος, Pyrros; 319/318 BC–272 BC) was a Greek[1][2]general and statesman of the Hellenistic era.[3][4] He was king of the Greek tribe of Molossians,[3][5] of the royal Aeacid house[6] (from circa 297 BC), and later he became king of Epirus (r. 306–302, 297–272 BC) and Macedon (r. 288–284, 273–272 BC). He was one of the strongest opponents of early Rome. Some of his battles, though successful, cost him heavy losses, from which the term "Pyrrhic victory" was coined. He is the subject of one of Plutarch's Parallel Lives (Greek: Βίοι Παράλληλοι).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhus_of_Epirus#_

Edited by Delenda est Roma - 14-Aug-2012 at 14:53
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 14:49
I love the man! He had guts, and knew the cost of independence; knew how to take risks, and how to pay for them. Great man, and as most great men, lost in the long run in this so unclean world - but he won my great respects.
Lamentably, with all my library in the US, I cannot support myself with nothing but net sources; probably I can find Plutarch online, I will try.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 14:50
Btw, Delenda, when you post links, to make them alive, click on the little globe with a bow and post the link inside; in this way it will become clickable.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 14:55
I just finished a bio on him by Champion. A very interesting man and very good tactically. Stratagetically he was.... not so hot. He was also way to heavy handed with his allies.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 15:28
Well, no one is perfect...
I'm looking forward for your future article on the bioSmile /you can't refuse to such whinning nowDead, can you?/
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 15:32
If you insist but I start classes tomorrow :/.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 16:08
Whan you can, Delenda, no pressure. Are you doing history?

Edited by Don Quixote - 14-Aug-2012 at 16:45
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 16:11
Yes I am. Keep in mind I'm a junior in HS. So I will most likely be bored. Though last year I did take a college course in sociology and passed. I'll try to get around to it but I have lots of reading to do :).
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 16:19
OK, so you are getting college classes whin in H? Very good, in 2 of the schools in WA where I subbed there was this program "Running Star"and they proposed classes for ambitious kids who want to geat ahead in time and save some money when getting in college with some classes already passed.
Are you starting HS from tomorrow, isn't it a little early? Whats state are you in, if it;s not a secret?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 16:23
Its no secret I live in Kansas.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 17:24
I see. The wind blew up the school year couple of weeks earlier thenLOL
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 17:26
:p. nah its the same as always and throughout most of Kansas. But if you really do like Pyrrhus than Pyrrhus of Epirus by Jeff Champion is your book.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 19:31
Was this the same Pyrrhus who was killed by a woman throwing a roof tile? His were the first "Pyrric victories" won at terrible cost
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 19:34
No he wasn't killed by the brick. He was killed in street fighting and supposedly knocked out by a brick then beheaded by a soldier. Yes. The man defeated the Roman legions, Carthages armies, seized much of Macedonia, he was very good tactically no question about it.
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 21:14
Why do you say he wasn't good strategically. I've never seen anything to show him as anything other then a clever general and a excellent soldier.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 21:15
Oh, by the way being a HS student on here is fun but sucks because you always end up feeling like a idiot.

Then again you might be a lot smarter then me its not very hard.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 21:21
Originally posted by d' artagnan

Oh, by the way being a HS student on here is fun but sucks because you always end up feeling like a idiot.

Then again you might be a lot smarter then me its not very hard.

I've never felt like an idiot in my spheres of interest for a long whilr. Over 20 books on a single subject gives perspective ;).
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2012 at 21:23
Originally posted by d' artagnan

Why do you say he wasn't good strategically. I've never seen anything to show him as anything other then a clever general and a excellent soldier.

His decision to leave Italy and fight in Sicily, leave Lilybaeum unconquered, abandon Sicily, treat his allies badly, several occasions in Macedonia he made bad stratagetic and political mistakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>