Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Pyrrhus of Epirus
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrrhus of Epirus
    Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 20:02
Thank you dartagan. The man was a brilliant tactician forget morality.
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 20:11
Oorah.

In point though I imagine him to be the type who would feel every loss because he strikes me as being a soldiers general. As for morality there is no morality in battle. Rule numero uno

P.S. Its hunter d' artagnan's just the username. I put that at the bottom of my posts because I quite like my name so feel freeto use it:)

Semper Fidelis
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 20:16
Well Pyrrhus was a great tactician but thats mostly what he has going for him besides being brave.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 20:21
Bravado is often more useful then tactical brilliance.....unless your names Custer
Hunter Johns

Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 20:43
Tactical brilliance ALWAYS better than bravado.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:01
Disagree. Its actually a tactic to put yourself in a position wherebyour backs against the wall and you know your going to die bacause at that point your troops will fight to the death.

I.E. words at bottomof posts

Semper Fi
Hunter Johns

Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 01:11

That's not necessarily bravado with the Marines of Puller's day nor today....it is what is or what was.... expected of US Marines. Iwo. as much tradition and circumstances.....because in the end; tactical brilliance coupled with bravado by leaders is always a winner....even when ya lose. Not for the soldiers in question perhaps. But perhaps those whom study and learn from it after the fact. And certainly for those who wish to emulate the fighting spirit and leadership demonstrated with the coupling.

'Also sprach Centrix Vigilis'
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 05:10
Originally posted by d' artagnan

Disagree. Its actually a tactic to put yourself in a position wherebyour backs against the wall and you know your going to die bacause at that point your troops will fight to the death.

Semper Fi

Yes, it's a tactic /I use it all the time/ -  burn all the bridges, so there is no way back, and go on and Long Live Death - all or nothing. Good tactic, even if one loses with it, it makes a point and has dignity. What can I say, I just love the man!
Go on, guys, I dig the thread.Smile

Edited by Don Quixote - 22-Aug-2012 at 05:11
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 08:22

Semper Fi

Lets put it this way I'd rather fight under Hannibal than Leonidas.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 13:11

Oorah.

In point though I imagine him to be the type who would feel every loss because he strikes me as being a soldiers general.
I doubt that a person who feels every loss would consider it to be emotionally justifiable to place one of his own men in his own clothes if he considered that to be of imminent danger of death, especially if that person was meant to be brave. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2012 at 13:25

Semper Fi

Why would anyone back themselves up against the wall if they were tactically superior. Also if someone was going to do such a strange thing then why would they then hide themselves in another man's clothes, only to make it necessary for themselves to reveal themselves later from a position by all tense and purposes was hidden, and so likely to dishearten their own fighting men?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 13:57
True your odds of surviving are better with Hannibal, but in a battle where the enemy commander isn't a complete moron all it will amount to is a different way of positioning your men. Leonidas on the other hand gave the enemy only one way of attacking him and in that position even because you know you will die all you can do is the brave and honorable thing by taking as many of the enemy as you can with you.

Semper Fi
Hunter Johns

Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 14:18
There can be no doubt Pyrrhus was a brilliant tactician.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 14:46
Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

In comparison with who, Leonidas?
How many people would give Pyrrhus much of a chance had they been attacking the Spartans from the same direction the Persians did?
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 14:56
EPiRuS=Answering crop hands presence!Very social name is this...Pi/PiI everywhere solved the problems of rulers...No one rules if His/Her people are hungry&thirsty...Smile
PiR/PiIR=Ripe sprout/Flour sprout,I give my voice for PiR=schyte.We still use it here.

Edited by medenaywe - 27-Aug-2012 at 10:50
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 14:58
Ripe sprout means scythe?His name was Dead,He was Kronos himself.Sorry about bold letters above i can change it if you insist.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

How many people would give Pyrrhus much of a chance had they been attacking the Spartans from the same direction the Persians did?

Ask the Romans. With limited troops he defeated two Roman armies and fought one to a draw. He also conquered almost the whole of Sicily and defeated several armies in Greece and Macedonia. One of the best if not the best of his day.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 15:49

Ask the Romans. With limited troops he defeated two Roman armies and fought one to a draw. He also conquered almost the whole of Sicily and defeated several armies in Greece and Macedonia. One of the best if not the best of his day.

Better yet ask the professional military historians who have examined his career...both contemporary and now. And when one finds himself in a circular debate with an opponent who disagrees.....by doing so one lends more credibility to his argument. In the end however whether that proves sufficient remains to be seen.

'Also Sprach Centrix Vigilis'

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Aug-2012 at 15:49
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 16:54

Come on, Delenda est Roma, lets not pretend that the time period was anything more than a vacuum between powerful empires. The Romans were not yet anything to shout about, and the others had seen better days.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 17:09

Come on, Delenda est Roma, lets not pretend that the time period was anything more than a vacuum between powerful empires. The Romans were not yet anything to shout about, and the others had seen better days.

Really? None of the sucessors were any good? Wow you just revolutionized the study of military history. You can't deny his tactical achievements.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>