Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Pyrrhus of Epirus
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrrhus of Epirus
    Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:12
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

Tut tut. You do know the meaning of tactical correct? Tactics are for battles not campaigns which is what I stated. He was a wizard TACTICALLY. Napoleon a loser? I recommend you read a history book on him look at Austerlitz or Ulm. His Italian campaign or Austrian Campaigns. Hannibal presented us with Cannae, Gustavus Adolphus with Breteinfield and revolutionized warfare, Demetrius recognized seapower and won numerous canpaigns and battles. Lee also beat his numerically superior opponents. If you would like to call them losers back up your false accusations. Can you produce a single source to call any of these men less than a compotent general? Just one? If you read any of their achievements you would be ashamed and if you did an still spoke ignorantly this conversation is worthless.
Tactics are for battles and not for campaigns, how very novel. As for the others being losers, I noted what you yourself had said, you said they all lost.

Again you fail to refute my argument. All the men I mentioned had at least lost a battle some a war. Yet they were all great some geniuses.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:14

What exactly is your point if you posess one at all?
In regards to which part?

I stated Pyrrhus was tactically brilliant and brave. The ancients and most modern historians agree with me. Actually I've never heard otherwise.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:19

He lived to fight again and so he did. He fought till the day he died. He was a warrior through and through. Your argument has no merit whatsoever. His stratagem was brilliant and worked. If he died his whole army was lost so he saved lives. You have no argument. He was tactically brilliant and brave. I provided my evidence you opinions.
And yet he decided that the life of one of his own men was worthless. If he was so tactically brilliant then why would he have needed to hide in the first place, wouldn't a fabulous tactician not have found a better formation?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:22

He lived to fight again and so he did. He fought till the day he died. He was a warrior through and through. Your argument has no merit whatsoever. His stratagem was brilliant and worked. If he died his whole army was lost so he saved lives. You have no argument. He was tactically brilliant and brave. I provided my evidence you opinions.
And yet he decided that the life of one of his own men was worthless. If he was so tactically brilliant then why would he have needed to hide in the first place, wouldn't a fabulous tactician not have found a better formation?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. He did what needed to do and did it well.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:23

I stated Pyrrhus was tactically brilliant and brave. The ancients and most modern historians agree with me. Actually I've never heard otherwise.
I'm doubting both of those things of him, and as far as those ancient historians, like wiki said, they were a little dodgy, and yet these modern historians you are talking about are basing their work on theirs?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:28

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. He did what needed to do and did it well.
So you believe in inequality over equality then Delenda est Roma?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:31

I'm doubting both of those things of him, and as far as those ancient historians, like wiki said, they were a little dodgy, and yet these modern historians you are talking about are basing their work on theirs?

They base them on all the available sources. Do you have any evidence otherwise?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:33

I support the fact that some most die so the many can live.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:36

Why do you say that, Delenda est Roma, is that a proven fact?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:39

They base them on all the available sources. Do you have any evidence otherwise?
Those quotes from wiki definitely suggested those ancient historians could be dodgy at times, including the use of fabrication of a character's attributes. This doesn't sound like a good basis for a source who could be class as being totally reliable, does it Delenda est Roma?  
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:40

Why do you say that, Delenda est Roma, is that a proven fact?

Yes it in fact is. If there wasn't a mortality rate we would eventually be swamped and many more would die. Your off topic again. You have yet to prove Pyrrhus wasn't a brilliant tactician or brave.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:43

Those quotes from wiki definitely suggested those ancient historians could be dodgy at times, including the use of fabrication of a character's attributes. This doesn't sound like a good basis for a source who could be class as being totally reliable, does it Delenda est Roma?  

Say the person who posts from Wiki. You made a blanket statement. How wereh tey dodgy? Their were quite a few authors on these events not just the two. The fact their accounts mostly corroborate help. So again your attempts to degrade historians are foiled. You have to remember these are ancient historians not modern.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:51

Yes it in fact is. If there wasn't a mortality rate we would eventually be swamped and many more would die. Your off topic again. You have yet to prove Pyrrhus wasn't a brilliant tactician or brave.
I'm not off topic. What I said was in respect of the events regarding the way life was seen, and so I asked you your opinion.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 19-Aug-2012 at 19:58
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:56

Say the person who posts from Wiki. You made a blanket statement. How wereh tey dodgy? Their were quite a few authors on these events not just the two. The fact their accounts mostly corroborate help. So again your attempts to degrade historians are foiled. You have to remember these are ancient historians not modern.
Hey, you named two, I looked them up on wiki, and guess what? They are dodgy in some things they write. The modern historians, I guess they do their work based on these dodgy ancient historians?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:56

I'm not off topic, and it's "you're" not "your".

Yes you are in fact off topic. Don't even start with grammar. I've seen numerous posts by you so disjointed it wasn't funny. Only when someone has no argument do they stoop to nitpicking and insults. You have yet to prove Pyrrhus not to be a brave or brilliant tactically man.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 19:57

Hey, you named two, I looked them up on wiki, and guess what? They are dodgy in some things they write. The modern historians, I guess they do their work based on these dodgy ancient historians?

So thats it you have no evidence to prove me wrong and so have to stoop to trolling? You haven't provided any evidence to back your claims so far.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 20:00
EDIT

Edited by Delenda est Roma - 19-Aug-2012 at 21:04
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2012 at 20:49
Guys, please don't resort to personal attacks otherwise this thread could be locked. I know you're both passionate historians, but there's no reason not to keep discussions civil
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6512&FID=3&PR=3
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:39
Awe and this was so much fun to watch.

In point though this was a history argument and your trying to turn it into a morality argument. We have a very good philosophy topic just for this reason. Also Alani(don't know your real name) Delanda(don't know your real name) has a point about the choice of historians. You can't insult someones choice of historians and then post a wikipedia topic.

Semper Fidelis
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2012 at 19:40
Please don't close the topic though multiple people put a lot of effort into this and it would be a shame for their hard work to go to waste.

Semper Fidelis
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>