Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pyrrhus of Epirus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Pyrrhus of Epirus
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [20.00%]
2 [40.00%]
1 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pyrrhus of Epirus
    Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 17:11
Excellent news for all horses and riders. Because 'circular argumentation' whether intended or not; covert or not; and is being used to nitpick...obsfucate and or revise a position's defense or confirmation by any and all parties versus the earlier comms simply for the sake of arguementation is a no go.
As it generally fast becomes trolling. And now longer debate.
So move on to rate other great figures. You beat this one enough.
Other then that have a nice day.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 11:16
I assure you Delenda est Roma, I have conceded your superiority before the previous two posts.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Delenda est Roma View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 11:04
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Delenda est Roma

How so? There were numerous good commanders and empires. He held on to power by his wits and tactical acumen. Why do you think he stayed alive so long? He is one of the greats of antiquity no question,
He would rather see his own men die wearing his own clothes, and at a time of comparative historical mediocrity. Had his prime been either side of this vacuum in history we would be talking about someone else probably instead. Btw, which mighty Empires and commands are you talking about at the time of his prime?  

What do Pyrrhus' clothes have to do with anything? He was a great man conquering Sicily Southern Italy, Epirus, Some of Greece and Macedonia. The Macedonian, Roman, Punic, Greek, Seleucid, Ptolemaic empires.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 10:52
What is the aim of this continous repeating about Pyrrus' men wearing his clothes? What does this has to do with his abilities or non-abilities? VIP from all times used and ues all kinds ot people to pass fr them for variaty of security reasons, so what? Can I see here real proof that Pyrrus wasn't a good tactition, from whoever stands on this position. Otherwise repeating who wore whose clothes smels like a "red herring".

And no, there wasn't a "empire vacuum" in Pyrrus' tme; he was right on the fore of the Rome ramming everyone to the East, and Pyrrus was one of the few who challenged it. Cartage, all bright and young, was from the other side of the table. Pyrrhus campained both against Cartage and Rome, the 2 powers of the day; while the other Hellenistic kingdoms turned a blind eye to his requests for help. If they were to get together, instead fight with each other, maybe the Mediterranean history of the later anriquity would be different than the one we know.

So, Pyrrhus was a brave soul against the winds of his time, his life was all a battle, in a hostile and changing world, this is what I see.

Edited by Don Quixote - 27-Aug-2012 at 11:03
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2012 at 10:49
OK Delenda est Roma, I concede. Your knowledge and intellect on such matters is without reproach from someone such as I so poorly read, or educated.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 23:39

How so? There were numerous good commanders and empires. He held on to power by his wits and tactical acumen. Why do you think he stayed alive so long? He is one of the greats of antiquity no question,
He would rather see his own men die wearing his own clothes, and at a time of comparative historical mediocrity. Had his prime been either side of this vacuum in history we would be talking about someone else probably instead. Btw, which mighty Empires and commands are you talking about at the time of his prime?  

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 27-Aug-2012 at 10:35
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 22:16
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 22:05

Well tactically as I've stated he might've been equal stratagetically inferior to them though. They died off or were incapacitated before he was in his prime though. These men were all sucessors to Alexander, Pyrrhus was related to him.
Then really we could say that his prime came when there was a bit of a vacuum between what there had been, and what there was to come.
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:59
Well tactically as I've stated he might've been equal stratagetically inferior to them though. They died off or were incapacitated before he was in his prime though. These men were all sucessors to Alexander, Pyrrhus was related to him.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:49

Pyrrhus was a hostage at Ptolemy's court where he learned alot. He also fought under Demetrius and Antigonus.
In order of abilities where would you put Pyrrhus, comparing him with these men? Number one being the best on a sliding scale. Smile
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:37
Pyrrhus was a hostage at Ptolemy's court where he learned alot. He also fought under Demetrius and Antigonus.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:33

Which period? Of the Sucessors? Many. Seleucus, Demetrius, Antigonus, Ptolemy Soter.
Maybe you could make a thread/s about them, where you can describe their significance in that period with relevance to Pyrrhus.  
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:24
Which period? Of the Sucessors? Many. Seleucus, Demetrius, Antigonus, Ptolemy Soter.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 21:17

Not sucessors. THE Sucessors or Diadochi. Go read up before you come back Champion has good bio on him.
Are there any of note in that period of time?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 20:47
Not sucessors. THE Sucessors or Diadochi. Go read up before you come back Champion has good bio on him.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 20:41

Really? None of the sucessors were any good? Wow you just revolutionized the study of military history. You can't deny his tactical achievements.
Considering that I had not heard of Pyrrhus until this thread, and still have to look at the title of this thread when writing about him as I find it impossible to remember the name Pyrrhus of Epirus, then yes it is very easy for me to deny what he was meant to have done, which I still have no idea what he was meant to have done. Btw which successors of note are you aware of?
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 17:09

Ask the Romans. With limited troops he defeated two Roman armies and fought one to a draw. He also conquered almost the whole of Sicily and defeated several armies in Greece and Macedonia. One of the best if not the best of his day.
Come on, Delenda est Roma, lets not pretend that the time period was anything more than a vacuum between powerful empires. The Romans were not yet anything to shout about, and the others had seen better days.

Really? None of the sucessors were any good? Wow you just revolutionized the study of military history. You can't deny his tactical achievements.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 16:54

Ask the Romans. With limited troops he defeated two Roman armies and fought one to a draw. He also conquered almost the whole of Sicily and defeated several armies in Greece and Macedonia. One of the best if not the best of his day.
Come on, Delenda est Roma, lets not pretend that the time period was anything more than a vacuum between powerful empires. The Romans were not yet anything to shout about, and the others had seen better days.
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 15:49

There can be no doubt Pyrrhus was a brilliant tactician.
In comparison with who, Leonidas?
How many people would give Pyrrhus much of a chance had they been attacking the Spartans from the same direction the Persians did?

Better yet ask the professional military historians who have examined his career...both contemporary and now. And when one finds himself in a circular debate with an opponent who disagrees.....by doing so one lends more credibility to his argument. In the end however whether that proves sufficient remains to be seen.

'Also Sprach Centrix Vigilis'

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Aug-2012 at 15:49
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote Delenda est Roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 15:45

There can be no doubt Pyrrhus was a brilliant tactician.
In comparison with who, Leonidas?
How many people would give Pyrrhus much of a chance had they been attacking the Spartans from the same direction the Persians did?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>