Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2012 the Furture is here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 the Furture is here
    Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 07:20
A list of predictions made about what life will be like in 2012 back in 1987. did they get it right 25 years ago? You decide.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/slideshow/2012/08/07/were-right-25-years-ago-science-thinkers-predicted-world-in-2012/?intcmp=features#slide=10
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 16:17
Well because I like Benford's work I liked his response. But he was only about 75% accurate...as crude is not running out and we don't have bases off world. But he's a damn fine writer so I give him some slack. OS. Card otoh was spot on.

More astonishing is that my ole pard pulled up a link from Fox. Shocked

By the Great Master architect... appears there is hope yet!LOL

Tighten yer cinch and draw yer steel. Toltec is becoming a convert......Clap
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:09
Looks like the pessimists were right: a shortage of fossil fuels and a growing gap between the rich and poor
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 23:24
Tighten yer cinch and draw yer steel. Toltec is becoming a convert......Clap

I've seen it spelled differently. Big smile
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 23:44
In the 50's early 60's, I was a Popular Mechanics and Popular Science reader.  I still have a few issues from the mid fifties.  I get a kick out of the different ways people perceived the future,  Particularly, the idea that we would be swamped with leisure time.  Whatever happened to that one?

When looking back and understanding what past generations thought the future would look like, we can see that they were correct on many occasions, but not all.  A prime example of this is a clipping from 1950 Popular Mechanics magazine titled ‘Miracles You’ll see in the Next Fifty Years’ by Woldemar Koempffert. The image below (Towell, 2009) comes from this clipping.

The image depicts the future of tele-shopping and perhaps video calling, such predictions are entirely correct. The one thing that this text failed to predict however,  was the social and cultural changes of the future. The shop assistant is still there holding the dress, when in actual fact these days, social ramifications have changed, even at the supermarket we don't need a cashier to ring up the sale.

Edited by red clay - 09-Aug-2012 at 23:53
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 23:59
Here's one "look into The future" that fell flat on it's.............face.Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply