Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Agents of the Pope!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agents of the Pope!
    Posted: 29-Apr-2005 at 15:47
I took a class on the cause of the American Civil War and one of the authors brought up the fear that many Protestants had about Roman Catholics. Around the 1850's a lot of German and Irish Catholics were immigrating to the U.S. and many Protestants (mostly English) were upset. The inquisition was not that long ago and many feared that they could be agents of the Pope.

Of course in time this turned out to be false.

Were the agents of the Pope?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2005 at 03:03

Their fears were obviously misguided but one would be a fool to say the Pope doesnt have more influence in America now than back in the day.  The Irish branch of my family came over in the pre-civil war era and went on to fight in the irish brigade fighting at gettysburg, we still have his by then outdated smoothbore musket that they were equpped with in the house and it still works.  Clearly they won their respect but soon after my relatives must have converted to Protestantism because there sure as hell isnt a single catholic in that side of family anymore.  I like to think they found it incompatible with democracy but of course I have no idea, I only though they switched to Methodist between 1900-1930 around.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 12:06

Of course in time this turned out to be false.

Excellent, all is going according to plan.

The inquisition had very little too do with it, the protestant populace of america had grown to enjoy their autonomous independant churches, and felt that those churches served their communities better. Also they feared that Catholic politicians would force conversion on the populace, much like (the settlers being english) Henry VIII and his successors had done in england.

Also there is always the narrow-minded bigot variable.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 12:57
Originally posted by eaglecap

The inquisition was not that long ago and many feared that they could be agents of the Pope.

Agents of the Pope? And what was their agenda?
I don't get it!Please enlighten us?

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2005 at 20:53

Agents of the Pope? And what was their agenda?
I don't get it!Please enlighten us?

The thinking of Agents of the Pope was one of the reasons that JFK had a difficult time being elected president. Basically it was popular opinion of the day that if a Catholic was elected president he would follow all of the commands that the Pope decreed regardless of what the US wanted. Basically it was feared that the US would become a Vatican vassal state.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply