Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Soviet War in Afghanistan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zeeboe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zeeboe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Soviet War in Afghanistan
    Posted: 25-May-2012 at 10:46

The Soviet Union, along with the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, were trying to make a better world for the Afghans by changing with the times, making things modern, creating an equal country for everyone, bringing education to all of the people who desired it, and were looking to stop poverty. Some of the Muslim fanatics however were against all that because they felt all of those ideas were against their religion. They felt Allah has decided how everything is suppose to be, and to change things was a sin against him. So instead of just living their way, and letting others live their way, those Muslim fanatics ended up terrorizing people who were looking for a change in their lives, which lead to a war with the Communists.

Gorbachev begged the U.S.A. not to arm the Mujahideen because they were Islamist fanatics, but the U.S ignored him because they were looking to get revenge on Russia because they helped the Viet Cong during the Vietnam War. That right there is an example of why pride is consider deadly to some people. What if the U.S. listened Gorbachev? I believe the Soviet Union would have won the war, which sounds fine by me, because most likely 9/11 would have never happened, which lead to two wars the U.S.A. had to be apart of, which is one of the many reasons the U.S.A. has so many money problems today because fighting wars are not cheap.

How would the world be today if the Soviet Union won the war against the Muslim fanatic rebels? I think it would be better.

Edited by Zeeboe - 25-May-2012 at 10:50
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 12:10
I think anyone would have to be a fanatical anti-russian to conclude that even the worst excesses of post stalinist soviet communism isn't way better that the Taliban.

Yes Gorbachev asked Reagan to stop arming the Taliban and as a result the Republican Party has spent the last ten years trying to propaganderise the population that Reagan an Bush's arming and training of the Taliban didn't cause 9/11.

As for the success of the the Russian invasion, I'm somewhat pessimistic to its long term success, first because the soviet union would have fallen shortly after the victory, if it had happened that is and secondly, look how easily America has been defeated. Have to admit I predicted this American defeat, any historian should, just look at British history alone, Afghanistan is easy to invade and impossible to hold.

So could the soviets have done it, the soviets at the height of their empire not at the end may well have, Stalin could have genocided half the population, but this is not the Russia that invaded. It was trying to win the Afhgani's hearts and mind with civilisation, sound familiar. So my opinion is a soviet failure too.

Edited by Toltec - 25-May-2012 at 12:14
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Zeeboe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Zeeboe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 12:37
Yes, I think in order for Russia to have truly defeated the people in Afghanistan who opposed them, they would have had to commit mass genocide and there was no way they could have done that without other countries coming in to stop them.

The Afghans have evolved for thousands of years in a culture of fighting invaders, which is why they are still able to fight off modern soldiers. The most dangerous weapon is still the mind. It does seem that NOBODY will ever truly conquer these people, and unfortunately it is not the U.S.A.'s intent to alter their culture. The Afghans have established their fierce independence. I deeply respect Afghanistan, and think it's a beautiful country, and I think the people there are truly a noble group of people and I don't think anyone can destroy their spirit.

Having typed that, I still cannot disagree enough with some of the choices that some of them have made and would have preferred seeing Russia defeat the rebels and they could have if Americans had not been brain-washed to hate and fear communism so much. I honestly don't understand why so many people do. I even wonder if the average American knows much about it. I can admit, I don't, but I hope to study it some.

Edited by Zeeboe - 25-May-2012 at 12:38
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2012 at 20:02
I'd have thought the Afghans would have fought even harder if the Russians or Americans resorted to genocide. It would have been smarter to support the most powerful warlord and let him kill off his Islamist rivals
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
 Post Reply Post Reply