Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribal masks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tribal masks
    Posted: 08-Jun-2012 at 21:03

Another Angolan mask with feathers
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2012 at 09:32
Originally posted by Nick1986

undefined
Another Angolan mask with feathers
That's a really nice mask, Nick, and here's another Chokwe Chihongo mask which isn't to bad either.
undefined

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 09-Jun-2012 at 09:44
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2012 at 19:57
The feathers remind me of an Indian chief's war bonnet, or the crest on a Roman centurion's helmet
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2012 at 20:38

The feathers remind me of an Indian chief's war bonnet, or the crest on a Roman centurion's helmet
They may well be representations of chiefs, Nick, although dead chiefs. Note the eyes. 

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 09-Jun-2012 at 20:41
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2012 at 19:31
Yes, they're closed (as if in death)
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2012 at 21:42

Yes, they're closed (as if in death)
It would seem that in many of the cases the ancestors were to be either feared or revered, or maybe both.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2012 at 04:23
This is a Bo nun amuin mask, belonging to the Baule, one of the Akan people who moved to the Ivory Coast about two hundred years ago. The design of the mask reflects the influence on the Baule from those people they come into contact with, such as the Guro, Senufo, and Yaure peoples. These masks belonged to the bushcow/antelope men. They were seen to be sacred and fearsome, and hidden away from women and children. A notable feature of this particular mask is the moveable lower jaw.

Mask  Bonun  Amuin  hamillgallery.com   

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 11-Jun-2012 at 05:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:06
Alani, could the black Ivory Coast mask you posted also be connected to the cult of the Horned God worshipped throughout Celtic Europe and the Middle East? Perhaps the Africans engaged in cultural exchanges with a trading and seafaring race like the Carthaginians (who, coincidentally, worshipped the horned deities Molech and Baal)?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 19:55

Alani, could the black Ivory Coast mask you posted also be connected to the cult of the Horned God worshipped throughout Celtic Europe and the Middle East? Perhaps the Africans engaged in cultural exchanges with a trading and seafaring race like the Carthaginians (who, coincidentally, worshipped the horned deities Molech and Baal)?
Before moving to the region they are in presently they were from an area known as Sahel. Potentially I guess this might have allowed for contact with those trading in the middle east, such as the Carthaginians. 
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 06:18
This is an example of a Luba Kifwebe mask from the Democratic Republic of Congo. They represent spirits, and would have been coupled up at ceremonies, male and female. The masks would have been worn with a raffia costume. These masks were used in ceremonies to mark important periods of social transition and transformation. For example at the death of prominent people, such as a chief. 

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 13-Jun-2012 at 06:30
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2012 at 19:50

What do you make of this one Alani?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 18:27

What do you make of this one Alani?
This is just a guess mind you, Nick, so chances are you're going to have to reveal the answer. My guess is that it is something like a Chokwe Pwo mask, from around the Angola region.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2012 at 18:28
Deleted due to duplication.

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 16-Jun-2012 at 03:43
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jun-2012 at 19:18
Alani, i don't know myself. I found the image on photobucket and was curious about its origins
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2012 at 03:50

Alani, i don't know myself. I found the image on photobucket and was curious about its origins
I've taken a little look on photobucket and left a post for the person who posted it, asking if they have any knowledge as to its origins.Smile
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2012 at 04:26
This one is from Nigeria, and is an Ibo crest mask.
Ibo Crest mask nigeria
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2012 at 17:21

Cool. Do you know how old it is Okamido?
Unfortunately, I don't. My friend, Bisi, gave it to me when I left the company we worked together at. Because there was a party, she didn't go into a lot of detail over it. All I know is that she brought it with her in the 90s when she immigrated from Nigeria. She is Yoruba, so I would just guess that it is from the same tribal culture. Maybe someone will recognize some features on it, and can tell us more.

Edited by okamido - 16-Jun-2012 at 17:22
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jun-2012 at 20:20
Neat mask Okamido.Smile Are those glass beads on the brow?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 19:39
Alani, what are your thoughts on Okamido's mask? Judging by the happy expression on its face, i guess it would be used for ceremonies of renewal: births, marriages, initiations, or reunions
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2012 at 22:49

Alani, what are your thoughts on Okamido's mask? Judging by the happy expression on its face, i guess it would be used for ceremonies of renewal: births, marriages, initiations, or reunions
Well I might be wrong here, as this was thought to of been from the  Yoruba. My feeling was that it had been something like a Punu mask, and made for a marriage ceremony, by the man, or at least a man, as an idealised representation of Punu women. If it had been then the woman had been from a wealthy family, as the hair style on the mask is not flattened, which it would have been had the woman been working in a traditional fashion, carrying on the head. A very nice piece in my opinion, and better than most, which should say a great deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>