Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oriental armour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oriental armour
    Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 19:33

Following on from the thread on Eastern weapons, let's have a look at the shields and armor worn by Asia's warriors. Above are two suits of Indo-Persian armor: a plated mail shirt and a helmet resembling a demon's head which, like the kabuto of the samurai, was designed to terrify the enemy
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2012 at 20:34
The armor looks very similar to what Sassanid cataphracts wore and the shield looks like a big version of the Spanish buckler. Looks awesome.
Timidi mater non flet
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 10:15
Elephants were used as a front in Indian Armies from the times of Alexander the Great till the time of Babur....
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2012 at 19:54

The coolest Asian armor was India's "coat of ten thousand nails": a type of brigandine covered in velvet and studded with brass rivets
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2012 at 20:04

Indian warriors were as well protected as the medieval knight. This suit of armor includes a chainmail mask similar to that of the Rus and the Pechenegs
oxydracae View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oxydracae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 11:11
This is Kara worn by Sikhs, it used to protect the wrist

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2012 at 20:41

An Indo-Persian horned helmet from 1200 AD known as a "devil mask." According to legend, a Persian hero beheaded a demon and wore his skull as a trophy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2012 at 19:47

Spiked Indo-Persian helmets from the 1700s
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2012 at 19:48

Ancient Persian helmet based on the Phrygian cap
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2012 at 20:24

Mongol armor: long padded coat, heavy boots and helmet

Edited by Nick1986 - 29-Apr-2012 at 20:24
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2012 at 09:23
http://www.sehyun-kumdo.com/dk-chosun-sangsudo.htm

http://www.sehyun-kumdo.com/dk-chosun-inkum.htm

http://www.sehyun-kumdo.com/dk-chosun-unkum.htm

These are some Korean sites I found; technically their swords not armor but their what I came across during my search. I don't speak much Korean(I should actually probaly work on that as it looks like I'm gonna be going over there to fight here soon) so anyone that wants to help translate would be very much appreciated.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2012 at 19:17
I can't speak Korean, but perhaps you could persuade some of their English speaking members to join us? I think they'll like my topic on their northern neighbor Kim Young-Un:
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30976
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 19:05

Samurai warriors wore fearsome masks to terrify their enemies. Some of these covered the entire face
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 19:36

Samurai kabuto helmet with horns
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 19:29

These Chinese ninja claws have to be the most bizarre armor in this thread, blurring the line between protection and deadly weapon
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2012 at 20:09

The lobster tailed pot worn by the Roundhead cavalry was derived from a Turkish helmet called a Zischagge widely used by German protestants in the Thirty Years War
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2012 at 00:50
D'Artagnan, if you end up in Korea, you will likely be in contact with Katusas. U.S. Army units in Korea are totally integrated with Korean military personnel who are attached to the U.S. Army. They are easily recognized by their U.S> Army uniforms and equipment, to include weapons and LBE. The only difference is their name-tapes, which carry their names in both English and Hangul (the Korean alphabet). Korean Marines habitually operate with American Marines, but I don't think they are embedded down to squad level like the KATUSAs.

As for learning Korean, I'll start you off. Doo-gay pyong make-choo "Hite", choo-say-oh, which is Korean for "Give me two bottles of "Hite" beer, please"  If you are serious about learning Korean, i woujld recommend you buy the Pimsleur CD set for beginning Korean, which is oral. As for reading, Korean is written in an alphabet which can be mastered fairly easily. If you learn their alphabet, do so as the Koreans do, learning the names of all the letters, as it makes it easier once you start to speak Korean. Note that the sound of some consonants can change depending upon whether they are first or last letters of a syllable. (Korean words are written in groups of two to four letter syllables, which is what makes it look like Chinese, which it is not.)  Gook is Korean for state or nation, and the first and last letters are identical. Marine, by the way, is "Hay Byong Day" (Romanized as Hae Byeong Dae), so Korean Marine Corps is pronounced. "Hay Byong Day, Day Han Min Gook"  Army is "Goon"  Han Goon, Korean Army, Mee Goon, U.S. Army, likewise, mee-gook is "American" or the USA, and "Han-gook" is Korean (Day Han Min Gook is Republic of Korea).

Have fun, you don't have to master the language to be appreciated by the Koreans. I used to pay $4.00 for a large bottle of Hite beer in a Garden Grove, CA, No-Ray-Bang (Karaoke club) when the listed price was $6.00, because the Ajumas appreciated my asking for it in passable Korean.

Have fun in Korea town.

Edited by lirelou - 05-May-2012 at 00:56
Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2012 at 19:24

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2012 at 19:13

More Turkish helmets and an interesting breastplate
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2012 at 20:22

Above is the Turkish zischagge. Below is the European "lobster tailed pot"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>