Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is it worng to kill ones self as a theological and

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it worng to kill ones self as a theological and
    Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 18:14
Originally posted by Sidney

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Who or what defines... "have the right".

In practise; The community you live in, and the rules that govern that community.

You only have rights when those rules allow you to have them, or rather when those rules don't specifically say you can't have them. If you live in a community governed by rules that do not prohibit killing yourself, then you have the right to do so. If the rules say you can't kill yourself, then you don't have the right to do so.
You can try to oppose and change those rules to allow you to have the right to kill yourself, but sometimes even arguing against a rule (and pick any rule at random, here) isn't a 'right'.

But some communities may have multiple sets of rules covering their behaviour (legal, religious, traditional, etc) which overlap or contradict or create areas of gray, and most people live in a variety of communities throughout their lives (family, school, friends, work, church, society, etc) each of which may favour adherence to varying degrees to their own sets of rules, which may be of different kinds (eg your work follows legal rules, your school traditional, your family religious), which differing sets may also have contradictions or gray areas.

Suicide is one of those subjects that crosses over these different rules and communities simultaneously. Here, in the UK, the law no longer says you cannot commit suicide, but the traditional view and the religious view of the wider society is that you shouldn't. So I have the legal right to kill myself, but I don't have the moral right to do so. However if my desire to kill myself was supported by my family and friends, then I would be gaining extra right to kill myself, as I would also do if I belonged to a religion that permitted it.

However, IMO a 'right' is the freedom (within the rules of the community) to do or not do something. A suttee didn't have the right to kill herself on her husband's pyre, it was an expectation, and she didn't have the right not to. A person who feels compelled to kill themselves because of family or religious pressure is no more exhibiting a right than someone being compelled to live when they don't want to.

I do not have a right to live unless I also have a right to die - otherwise my living is nothing more than a compunction, and something I have no choice over.

A concise and thoughtful explanation as you percieve it. I commend you for your objectivity in analysis.
And I commmend your ability to refrain from the usual norm ie. secularist attacks on beliefs and opinions of others. Traditional or non.

I share much of it...and was waiting to see if others could elucidate similar.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2012 at 20:56

I do not have a right to live unless I also have a right to die - otherwise my living is nothing more than a compunction, and something I have no choice over.

That's very well said. But this is exactly what is done in religion, taking one's freedom to live, since one cannot choose yo die if one want to, since Christianity in all shapes, AFAIK, considers it mortal sin. Hence, if a person is interested where he/she is going to spent eternity, he/she has no choice but to live, as a compunction.
 I know of several persons in the local jail that had been arrested because of trying to commit a suicide - so there is in US a legal control over it; AFAIK they are not to be put on trial, but spent some time there.

The practice of sutee wasn't really a suicide, but a remnant of human sacrifices, when wives were killed on the grave of their husband, the practice was very ancient and was mentioned by some Greek historian who traveled with Alexander to India, if I remember right. So I don't see it a suicide; now, the practice of harakiri was a real suicide, because even though it was expected, one wasn't obliged to do it - only had to live in shame if he/she didn't. Suicide was more or less valued by the Greko-Roman stoics, and it was done as a conscious choice /even though some emperors, like Caligula, I think came to the perverse practice to send a knife to people they wanted gone, which meant "commit suicide or I'm going to do it for you"/.

Edited by Don Quixote - 20-Apr-2012 at 21:12
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 11:32

And I commmend your ability to refrain from the usual norm ie. secularist attacks on beliefs and opinions of others. Traditional or non.

If I offended your or anyone else's views, I apollogise, this was never my intention; nor was my intention to attack them. I don't remember saying "Christian did, Christians that", all I do is say my opinion. Since I cannot change it only to accomodate others, I apologise for all future insults and attacks on anyone beliefs in advance - this is the most I can do.

Edited by Don Quixote - 21-Apr-2012 at 11:33
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 11:57
Originally posted by Don Quixote

And I commend your ability to refrain from the usual normie. secularist attacks on beliefs and opinions of others. Traditional or non.

If I offended your or anyone else's views, I apologize, this was never my intention; nor was my intention to attack them. I don't remember saying "Christian did, Christians that", all I do is say my opinion. Since I cannot change it only to accommodate others, I apologise for all future insults and attacks on anyone beliefs in advance - this is the most I can do.

I cant speak for others.... wont even try..and really dont give a damn. You did not offend me. I sincerely doubt your capable of it....LOL especially at my age. You do on occasion irritate my sense and understanding and practice of the method. But that's ok as interps are supposed to be different.

Your opinions are what make you unique..and valuable... hence continue being you.

And when we differ, and we damn sure will, remember... it ain't personal. It might be merely the different way in which we use the vernacular and style in presentation. Or expressions, thoughts and concepts verbalized, words, phrases, idioms in language etc...but it ain't personal.Star

S. T. Friedman

Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by Don Quixote

That's very well said. But this is exactly what is done in religion, taking one's freedom to live, since one cannot choose yo die if one want to, since Christianity in all shapes, AFAIK, considers it mortal sin. Hence, if a person is interested where he/she is going to spent eternity, he/she has no choice but to live, as a compunction. 

Not just Christianity - Judaism, Islam, Buddhists, Hindu. Of course, you still could kill yourself, it was just that the fear of eternal damnation, or bad karma, would stop you. Under both religious and non-religious laws there was also the fear of the family left behind being punished for the dead person's actions. Even on non-religious grounds you can deny the right to commit suicide by stating that it denies the State your potential man-power, it removes the financial or emotional support of your dependents, it creates an inconvenience to those who have to deal with the 'mess' you leave behind (both your actual body and the situation you were escaping from), plus the potential grief from those who cared for you.

In ancient Athens, suicide was an acceptable way of dying, but only if State sanctioned. Otherwise you were given an ignoble burial and your family were shamed. I think the same applied in other countries where suicide was permissable only in certain circumstances. Even in societies where killing yourself was seen as your individual freedom, there was still a social ideal of how and why you did it - calmly, intentionally and having led a good life and leaving your family well provided for was a fine ethical way for the Romans, but doing it out of fear or desperation to escape a situation and your responsibilities was shameful and wrong. Only the noble aristocracy could kill themselves. The criminal, peasant and slave were still not allowed. Forced suicide (as the Emperors sometimes imposed) was frowned on as a cowardly act on behalf of the enforcer.

Then again, killing yourself needn't be socially defined as suicide. Killing yourself as political protest or as a religious declaration, or to save the lives of others or to save yourself further pain, can turn it into a martyrdom or heroics.

An example of being legally required NOT to kill yourself;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382396/Workers-Chinese-Apple-factories-forced-sign-pledges-commit-suicide.html

Edited by Sidney - 21-Apr-2012 at 13:46
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 14:59
I  haven't research the perception of suicide among the  slaves and the plebs in Greece/Rome, so I'll take your word on it. Anyway, it seems that any given community anywhere in all times had to deal with the potential suicides, so they devised ways to keep people from doing it - moral, religious, citizenships, family, etc, obstacles so it not to be done. However, in those times the natural selection was allowed to weed who's body is able to live and produce, and whose's not - this is not valid anymore, due to the progress of the medical science, so many people end up having to live long and painful lives, with no hope of relief, or a sooner end. With the raising of life expectations people develop and have to live with diseases that weren't a problem before, because people died before they can get Alzhaimers, senility, etc. It's a very close to  sadism to require people how live in constant pain for different reasons, and who refuse to take specialized painkillers because the last make one unable to have a normal life, due to the dizziness and muscle suppressoin they cause.

This wasn't a problem before, because  such people wouldn't be born to start with, or would die as kids, because no one would have the resources to artificially prolong their lives. But now it's a legitimate problem, to which, AFAIK, there is no solution found; we messed up the natural selection, we learned to create artificially lives that not always are viable, and come at high cost.  It's easy to talk how suicide is a weakness, or whatever, for a person who doesn't have to endure pain on 7-8 out out 10 scale, 24/7, all the time. It's easy to require the others to live with that, when it's their back on the rack. After all society sees it's members as assets, what are there to provide, work, etc, and doesn't care at all about the cost on which such life is to be continued. The personal happiness of people was never an objective to any society, only the work it can get from a given person.

So I reject any attempts from any side on any grounds to forbid me, or anyone else, the right, if I/they want to, to end my their life/s, if I, or anyone else, chooses so. This is a personal decision, and no one has the right to make a person, any person, endure what he/she himself don't have to live with; no more than anyone has the right to take mine, or anyone else's life.

All this said, again, is another matter that in my opinion is not such a hot choice to cause something that will come anyway, and it's unavoidable to start with.

Edited by Don Quixote - 21-Apr-2012 at 15:18
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 15:12

I cant speak for others.... wont even try..and really dont give a damn. You did not offend me. I sincerely doubt your capable of it....LOL especially at my age. You do on occasion irritate my sense and understanding and practice of the method. But that's ok as interps are supposed to be different.

Your opinions are what make you unique..and valuable... hence continue being you.

And when we differ, and we damn sure will, remember... it ain't personal. It might be merely the different way in which we use the vernacular and style in presentation. Or expressions, thoughts and concepts verbalized, words, phrases, idioms in language etc...but it ain't personal.Star

GoodSmile, I'm glad we ironed this out.

Edited by Don Quixote - 21-Apr-2012 at 15:26
d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 16:05
I would like to propose the idea that the reason we think of suicide in the way that we currently do is because we have lost our honor system. In ancient Japan, China, and maybe medieval Europe(not really my specialty)it was a way of protecting ones honor and his families honor along with it. So what I' m thinking is that we judge suicide as bad because we no longer look at things through a system of hone but instead look at it as a religious ideal/social views.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 16:18
And why pray tell.... is honor not to be looked at from either a religious or aspect of social conditioning? What specifically about theology-religion prohibits it from being honorable.

Because that leads to the next thought.... how is an honor system designed and developed... in your view specifically others generically.... then promulgated by an individual or collective numbers.... to others.

S. T. Friedman

d' artagnan View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Spawn of P,C,MA

Quote d' artagnan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2012 at 17:41
I'm not saying that honor can't exist in a religion based system.What I'm saying is that we don't currently have an honor based system but one that looks at how gos and society with society usually having even more pull then the religious side.
Hunter Johns

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction."
— Col. Chesty Puller | Korean War
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12