Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women & Yoga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women & Yoga
    Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 10:24
Yoga is a very popular pursuit for many women and men as a form of exercise and meditation, and all round well being. But whenever I see old images of it practised in the East it is always shown with men performing the postures.
Is yoga traditionally a male only pursuit? Can some one show me images or a reference in old literature to women practising yoga?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 19:04
Yoga was invented by Hindu ascetics seeking to gain enlightenment or moksha. It dates back to the time of the Indus civilisation and may have been derived from ancient shamanic rituals.
Origins of yoga
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2012 at 21:34
Thanks. At first quick scan, historically women were viewed as worldly orientated, intrinsically impure and lacked the ability to be celibate because they had no semen to control. Female ascetics existed, but they had an ambiguous, uncomfortable position within the community. A womans role was to perform rituals and acquire ascetic goodness to contribute to the family or spouse, not for her own enlightenment. Some areas changed and yoginis became equal with yogis, but were still often seen as a tool for the yogis to acquire higher enlightenment through, either by the use of or the abstinence from.
I guess I'm dealing with a very large area and a very long time frame.
Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 14:19
I always thought Yoga was a largely female thing, most evening classes were almost entirely women.

Showing how old I am I remember when there was no cable or satellite tv and only 4 channels. There was a great show and I video'd it, called naked yoga, from the late 60's/early 70's I guess from the hairstyles and kaftans they were wearing, but repeated in the 80's. Ran on tv, and consisted as a programming format exclusively of pretty girls, no clothes and yoga.

I must say as a young (pre) and later teenager, this was the kind of programming I appreated and played a formative part of my youth. "Long live female yoga, even if clothed" (though preferably not)

Edited by Toltec - 11-Feb-2012 at 14:21
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 14:31
This might be of some interest to look into.Smile

If you don’t think yoga is a feminist issue try suggesting as author and feminist historian Vicki Noble does, that women invented the ancient practice. Noble’s assertion brings to light something rarely acknowledged or addressed in the yoga world – that throughout it’s 5000 year history women have been completely excluded from the practice of yoga.

Today the majority of yoga practitioners are women. While fair access to downward dog might seem on the surface like a feminist victory, Noble and other feminist researchers tell a very different story. They ask – why are women still practicing a form of yoga developed by men – only for men? In fact, their research is uncovering evidence of an alternative, much more ancient female centered yoga practice that preceded the Hindi yogis by thousands of years.

Who knew?

Noble’s research into what she called the “female blood roots” of yoga suggests there was a widespread female-centered communal yoga practice dating from the upper Paleolithic and Neolithic. Celebrating the natural powers of “bleeding, birthing, healing and dying”, this early yoga was practiced in rituals of trance and dance.

In this way disease was believed to be purged from the community and fertility in women, animals, and food crops enhanced. Noble points to the images of female Buddha’s and high-ranking shaman priestesses which are so are pervasive in the artifacts and figurines of Old Europe (6000 BCE).

She proposes that the varied poses shown in these early sculptures, as well as frescoes, murals, and rock art through the ages, are expressions of an ancient shamanistic yoga eventually codified into the formal schools we know today.

Modern yoga is acknowledged to be largely derived from the Hatha tradition, but Hatha’s roots can be documented to reach further back to the female centered practices of Tantra Yoga.

Miranda Shaw is a historian on the female roots of Tantra Yoga. In her bookPassionate Enlightenment she describes the remains of round, open-air stone temples still found in India where animal-headed statues of dancing women, stand as a reminder of these yogini’s ecstatic rites.

Shaw writes how yogini’s gathered at feasts to play “cymbals, bells, and tambourines and danced within a halo of light and a cloud of incense.” Within this nocturnal congregation, “a circle of yoginis feasted, performed rituals, taught, and inspired one another”. They sang “songs of realization” regaling one another “with spontaneous songs of deep spiritual insight.”

The magical potency of Tantra was transmitted by a female line “power-holders” – a mysterious sect of women called the Vratyas – and they were not an isolated case.  Taoist Yoginis from China and Dakinis from Tibet were also powerful spiritual teachers, giving empowerments and initiations.

Monica Sjoo is another feminist historian whose books explore the legends of priestesses found in art, myths, and historical records. Sjoo claims that from the Pre-Neolithic through to at least the Bronze Age, across India, across the Silk Road to China, that women were performing ecstatic healing rituals for the benefit of their communities.

Sjoo claims that the concept of raising Kundalini energy,  fundamental to yoga philosophy and practice, originated with these yogic priestesses. They were the first to pull “the serpentine bio-mystical energies up the spine to achieve “wings” of illuminated consciousness”.

Both Sjoo and Noble argue that the concept of Kundalini originated in the female “Siddhis” (yogic powers) of menstruation, female sexuality, natural birth, and menopause. Noble believes these ancient yogic rites encouraged the free, spontaneous flow of kundalini energy through the female group, and by extension, throughout the entire community.

Did the idea of kundalini, recognized as central to yogic philosophy and development, originate with ancient yoginis? And if so, why do we know so little of their history today?

Noble, Shaw and Sjoo agree that with the advance of patriarchy, the ecstatic techniques

of women were gradually swallowed up by the more ascetic practices of men. In seated meditation, the transcendent was sought not through the body, but through the practices of mind.

Women and their biological functions came to be negatively equated with the life of the body and soon female rites were outlawed altogether. Yogini’s, dakini’s and shaman priestesses became “witches,” “ogresses,” “demonesses,” or “temple harlots”.

Over time we forgot there was once a different kind of yoga. One in which the inherent powers of the female body were celebrated and harnessed for illumination, freedom and compassion.

Noble believes yoga is a feminist issue because until we understand women’s central role in the development of yoga, it cannot be a truly effective female practice. Noble teaches what she calls Lunar Yoga, a yoga tuned to the ancient lunar calendar and the natural cycles of women. Here the focus is not on perfecting yogic postures but on experiencing energy “flow”. She urges women to reclaim the “natural, biological ways of accessing and experiencing the yogic power of our ancient fore-sisters”.

Noble writes although the idea of woman’s yoga ” might appear to glorify the female at the expense of the male, or capitulate to a worn-out 1950′s idea that “biology is destiny,” it actually does neither.” Instead it seeks to acknowledge the “dynamic quality of ecstasy that especially seems to mark the female-centered yoga experience.” It seems Noble’s call is being heard.......

http://bodydivineyoga.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/did-women-invent-yoga/

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 11-Feb-2012 at 14:32
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
tjadams View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Suspended, go back to historum

Quote tjadams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 14:56
I like my women able to flex & bendable. :)
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2012 at 17:10
Thanks Alani. Lots to investigate and think about from that article;

Like the idea of "female Buddhas" existing in Old Europe 6,000 BC. Bit anachronistic!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2012 at 11:04
Traditionally women weren't given a chance to be something else but housewives and mothers, I suppose because too many would choose to be something else and men will find themselves fixing their own meals, besides the female life expectancy was lower than males' due to death in child labor, so women were too valuable a factor for the surviving of a social group to be let go.

Bhagavat-Gita talks that one is supposed to keep away fro, family and women, if one is to achieve enlightenment, but concedes that ever low-born and women can achieve such if they follow the way to there. But in reality, they weren't allowed to do so. Yoga is fashionable among western one, not among eastern ones, who in their majority are stuck in the traditional female role.

I used to be much into yoga when young, now I habitually lack time or space to do it as a 30 min. daily program, I'm having too much fun here on the forumSmile but it's great for keeping one's body flexible and younger for longer, especially for women with problems like arthritus in keens and hips, muscular problems, etc..
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2012 at 01:25
I just followed a standard yoga book, for everyone. In it there is a chapter for pregnant women, with asanas especially for them, but everything else is unisex.  
Sidney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Sidney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2012 at 04:30
Originally posted by Don Quixote

I just followed a standard yoga book, for everyone. In it there is a chapter for pregnant women, with asanas especially for them, but everything else is unisex.  

I'd see that as a marketing ploy. Not neccesarily a bad one, but a way of keeping your target demographic group (i.e. health/mystic conscious women)none the less.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 03:56
The fleece pants are so comfortable but ARE not like yoga pants. they are very thick - something you wouldnt want to work out in. unfortunately they do not have yoga pants.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 07:36
SPAM!
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Jinit View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jinit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2013 at 01:31
My theological knowledge of Hinduism is very limited, however as far as I know Yoga is more than just physical exercise and its ultimate goal is Moksha ie liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth.

And if we look in the context of this borader defination of Yoga, then there is a sact of Hinduism who is dedicated to the Yogini - a feamle master practioner of Yoga (the male version is Yogi) There are 64 famous Yoginis - some of them are considered incarnations of famous hindu goddesses while the others are considered ordinary women who attained the the enlightenment.

The cult was famous in the parts of northern  India particularly in central India and in the Orissa during medieval time period. And the temple of Yogin was circular in shape unlike the normal Hindu temples with the shrine of Shiva in the centre. Currently there are only 4 temples dedicated to the Yoginis in India. Most famous one is in the Hirapur Orissa.

Also sometimes the cult was associated with the tantrism and might have been associated with dark practices. None the less the proportion who practiced the drak magic remained very low in number.

Some photographs of the Chuasath (64) Yogini temple of Hirapur.

Click the image to open in full size.

Another famous temple is situated in Mitoli, Madhyapradesh which was built in 9th century. The temple is restored by the Archeological survey of India and its missing the idols of 64 yoginis.

Edited by Jinit - 23-Mar-2013 at 01:33
 Post Reply Post Reply