Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gunblades

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunblades
    Posted: 27-Jun-2012 at 19:16

An odd-looking dagger pistol from the 19th century
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 10:44
a big pocket knife with a 5½"  folding blade which folds out after pulling a screw in front under the barrels. Two separate 5½" barrels for caliber .48 percussion, smoothbores. Cockig the hammer causes the folding trigger / corkscrew to drop out of the frame. The percussion hammer are protective shaped to avoid a spark jumping to the other cap. The metal parts are kept in the white showing reasonable patina, the scales are very fine stag horn. The pistol is made during the 1850 -1860 period, shows no makers name or proof stamp, probably German hunting utensil. In good working order and excellent condition

What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2012 at 19:13

Wish i had the money for this piece of art. The engraving and ivory grips are exquisite

Edited by Nick1986 - 28-Jun-2012 at 19:14
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by Nick1986

Wish i had the money for this piece of art. The engraving and ivory grips are exquisite

Does such a beautiful piece have any providence, Nick. Oh I do hope so! 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 16:44
Indian Tabar Battle axe matchlock combination weapon

undefined

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 29-Jun-2012 at 17:09
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2012 at 19:20
Great find Alani. The blade reminds me of my own Indo-persian axeThumbs Up
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2012 at 19:18

Three barrel Marston Derringer
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 19:16

Modern knife pistol designed for the hunter to finish off wounded game
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 20:37

Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword

Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Maker
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Note trigger
Pistol Sword
Original engraved screws
Pistol Sword
Ray skin grip
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Pistol Sword
Hunting scene on cap
A Pistol Sword 

"DESCRIPTION: This is an utterly magnificent example of this combination weapon, a true museum piece in every sense of the word.  A pistol sword essentially is a sword with a pistol attached usually alongside of the blade. It differs from a rifle with bayonet in that the weapon is designed primarily as a sword and the firearm component is typically considered a secondary weapon, designed to be an addition to the blade rather than the sword being a secondary addition to the pistol. In addition, the two components of the weapons typically cannot be separated, unlike most bayonet fixed rifles. Historically, some early flintlock pistols were constructed as gun-swords with the barrel of the pistol attached to the side of the blade of a short sword or dagger. A shell guard protected the firing mechanism when it was employed in battle or in the hunt. These combination weapons were used by German and French hunters to kill wounded wild boar.  Examples of these hunting weapons can be found in the armory of Wawel Castle at Krakow, Poland and several great ones can be see at the Jagdmuseum in Munich. Their collection is the best. Hunting with this type weapon was mostly enjoyed by royalty or landed gentry; such fine hunting weapons such as these were not used by the peasant class. These items were masterfully made by the finest weapon cutlers of the age. They were very expensive in their time thus their usage was pretty much limited to the rich and affluent. This magnificent example that we offer is exceptionally well made with straight blade. The grip is covered in ray skin. The clamshell guard that protects the action is in brass with a central human figure with a bull that may have been a riding mount within “poetic saga.” This could possibly be the familiar portrayal of Europa with the bull. To each side of this pair are figures of mythical men that would put you in mind of Hercules or the Titans. These figures are all very worn (good wear) from many years of usage. The blade shows some engraving of game, deer and boar that are also quite worn down; there is also some vestige of Celtic or Teutonic design at the base of the blade. The D Guard and the finial are also in decorated brass. The weapon undoubtedly dates from the early 18th century. The flintlock pistol that is attached is of steel and is engraved with a running wild boar nicely offered in typical artistic style of that century. The firearm component is finished like a fine weapon not crude like other specimens we have seen. The pistol is signed F Schunke in Bingen -- this would be the hamlet of Bingen am Rhein. The entire mechanism functions perfectly, the gun is in practically perfect condition with the engraving on it much finer and very noticeably un-worn, unlike the sword.  This is because the gun is virtually protected from wear by the clamshell guard and was not exposed to the wear that the sword was. This weapon in German is a Hirshfanger: the traditional sidearm of the German hunter. Only a few were ever made in this combination style and thus are extremely rare and seldom found today."

Edited by TheAlaniDragonRising - 01-Jul-2012 at 20:40
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 20:57
Alani, can you provide a link to the website this came from? Perhaps there's other interesting pieces on there?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2012 at 21:14

Alani, can you provide a link to the website this came from? Perhaps there's other interesting pieces on there?
Sure thing, Nick. http://www.germaniainternational.com/old7.html
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2012 at 19:29
Thanks AlaniSmile
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2012 at 19:02

Knuckleduster pistol, the weapon of the "Apaches" - a feared Paris street gang
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 19:44

Does anyone know anything about this cool looking ring pistol
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2012 at 20:19

undefined
Does anyone know anything about this cool looking ring pistol
This is what I've found on this and similar, Nick

Ring-box revolver LE PETIT PROTECTOR, blued 6 shot barrel in cal 4mm pin, silver frame engraved with a crown
bay and marked LITTLE PROTECTOR, blued hammer and trigger. L.T.: 42 mm. Blue morocco casket wrapped in velvet and satin, with silver plate
THE LITTLE PROTECTOR well marked......
http://www.armesdantan.com/PDF/2010/Catalogue57.pdf

5 shot ring pistol
Different versions of this ring pistol shoot different ammo. The one above shoots a 5 mm bullet.
There is also a version below that shoots bb sized matchlock musket balls and fired with blasting caps or blasting powder

6 shot ring pistol
Hand engraving on the side of this 18th century version of the ring gun/pistol

5 shot ring pistol
le petite protector. The fashionable and deadly ring pistol used in the hit t.v. series femme fatale.

5 shot ring pistol
A six shot version of the ring pistol. R. M. Maylett designed the smallest pistol of the time and originaly was not created to be a ring pistol and the cut out hole was merely the best way to get a firm grip on such a small gun

5 shot ring pistol 5 mm bullet
femme fatale engraving
5 shot ring pistol
labeled as a spy gun but I think it would be very noticeable and almost impossible to aim this tiny thing. Definitely a close range weapon.
5 shot ring pistol

5 shot ring pistol
http://wweapons.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/5-shot-ring-pistol-weird-weapons.html

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2012 at 19:13
Were these ring pistols actually designed to be used for self-defence or assassination? Or were they mere novelties?
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 13:28

Were these ring pistols actually designed to be used for self-defence or assassination? Or were they mere novelties?
I would say that assassination would be pushing it a bit on the whole. Self-defence and novelties I would say probably yes, as talk is of gambling guns, or being favoured by Mafia and Nazis.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2012 at 19:06

Around the turn of the century Italian-American street gangs constructed their own crude pistols disguised as pens. These were known as zip-guns
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2012 at 23:14
Axe with multi-barreled firearm from the Tower of London
This unique weapon, made in Germany and dated circa 1580, combines an axe with six barrels. Two locks are present, a wheel-lock and a matchlock; the other four barrels were to be lit with a handheld match.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2012 at 12:28
The warhammer pistol Alani posted also appears in Rickett's firearms book
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>