Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My trip to a Hellenistic city in Iran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My trip to a Hellenistic city in Iran
    Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 16:27

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2012 at 16:31
That looks as if it's in really good condition, Cyrus, where about is it? Btw is that you on the photo?
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 01:15
What is name of this city&time dating,Cyrus?Did they find inscriptions&scripts there?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 06:13
That is in almost the center of Iran near the city of Mahallat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahallat It is called "Khorheh" because of a village with this name near the ruin.

The city probably dates back to the Seleucid or early Parthian era in third century BC, and yes, that is me.
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 06:21
We call part of town mahala!Smile("H" has just small stress voice in it,almost voiceless!)Village name consists
a lot of words.Are you using,one sound one letter rule in Iran?Nice post.It is essential for me to know cause of phonetic inside words.

Edited by medenaywe - 25-Jan-2012 at 06:22
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 08:48
Yes, Mahalla means the same in Persian, and I think also in Turkish, in fact "Mahalla" is very Arabic word which means quarter (a part of a city with a specific character), Mahallat is the plural form of Mahalla.
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 09:02
Great PicsCool
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 09:04
Quarters name,gives us maybe way how this town had been built that time!Rules for plural are not the same here,your plural could be singular&plural also could change last letter&sound.I asked you about pronunciation of letters in your language:Is it one letter one sound rule?Does your language use cases,all of
them same as Latin?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 09:45

In Persian some different letters have all one sound because we use Arabic script but pronounce the words in Persian, for example Arabic letters: ض - ظ - ز - ذ have just the sound of "z" in Persian but in Arabic they have four different sounds.

medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 10:29
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 11:20
Originally posted by medenaywe

Do You have cases in Your language?
http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/languages/classical/latin/tchmat/grammar/g-caseid.html

No in Modern Persian, but Old Persian grammar had eight cases, as I mentioned in another thread the Persian name of Darius was not Darayush, as it is used today, but Daraya, Darayush is the nominative case form, and we see Darayum is the accusative case form, like in the sentence "Ahuramazda made Darius king".
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2012 at 11:22
Please post me link here!Serbo-Croatian has 9 cases but 3 of 9 are genitives!That means 8!Smile

Edited by medenaywe - 25-Jan-2012 at 11:23
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 10:08
Cyrus, do you know of any village in Fars province of Iran by the name of "Karmostaj" كرمستج My father's family is from there, it would be cool to find out more about my ancestral village
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 11:35
As usual Qorosh, amazing and beautiful pictures that unearth the hidden past of Persia. It seems that there is a lot travelling one can do in iran, if one is knowledgeable about history!
Timidi mater non flet
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 11:41
Originally posted by Arab

Cyrus, do you know of any village in Fars province of Iran by the name of "Karmostaj" كرمستج My father's family is from there, it would be cool to find out more about my ancestral village

I didn't know this village, it seems it was a big town in the old times but a large number of people migrated to the Arab states of the Persian Gulf and there are just 600 familes in this village: http://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki/%DA%A9%D8%B1%D9%85%D8%B3%D8%AA%D8%AC
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 12:26

Interesting, there is an Arabic wiki article about it. But I am unable to find any information about this village in north Iran called "Fakhrabad" فخر اباد My maternal grandmother's family is from there but I know virtually nothing about it.

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Yes, Mahalla means the same in Persian, and I think also in Turkish, in fact "Mahalla" is very Arabic word which means quarter (a part of a city with a specific character), Mahallat is the plural form of Mahalla.

Nice place and correct opinion for Turkish. Turkish version is "mahalle" and it is official for address. If you want to send me a post card, you have write my mahalle on it Big smile
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 15:08
Originally posted by Ollios

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Nice place and correct opinion for Turkish. Turkish version is "mahalle" and it is official for address. If you want to send me a post card, you have write my mahalle on it Big smile

In Morocco it means something totally different, it reffers to a 'shop'. In traditional Arabic though, the word originally has other meanings such as: 'position' (in refference to something else) or 'place'.

Example:

لقد لبث في محله
He remained in his place

لا محل له من الاعراب
It has no position/place in grammar (fig. it is grammatically incorrect)

Timidi mater non flet
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 15:12
Once it was this:(check Origins of language Baal!)
MaHaLLe=From support destination sparks image!
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2012 at 15:35

It means 'place' but we also use it for 'shop' here too and in most Arabic countries it has the same meaning I think

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>