Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mansa Musa Richest King Ever?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mansa Musa Richest King Ever?
    Posted: 27-Dec-2011 at 07:48

Commonly referred to as Mansa Musa, was the tenth mansa, which translates as "king of kings" or "emperor", of the Malian Empire. At the time of Mansa Musa's rise to the throne, the Malian Empire consisted of territory formerly belonging to the Ghana Empire.

Musa was a devout Muslim and his pilgrimage to Mecca made him well known across northern Africa and the Middle East.

Musa made his pilgrimage in 1324, his procession reported to include 60,000 men, 12,000 slaves, heralds dressed in silks who bore gold staffs, organized horses and handled bags. Musa provided all necessities for the procession, feeding the entire company of men and animals.  Also in the train were 80 camels, which varying reports claim carried between 50 and 300 pounds of gold dust each. Musa not only gave to the cities he passed on the way to Mecca, including Cairo and Medina, but also traded gold for souvenirs. Furthermore, it has been recorded that he built a mosque each and every Friday.

Musa's journey was documented by several eyewitnesses along his route, who were in awe of his wealth and extensive procession, and records exist in a variety of sources, including journals, oral accounts and histories. Musa is known to have visited with the Mamluk sultan Al-Nasir Muhammad of Egypt in July of 1324.

Musa's generous actions, however, inadvertently devastated the economy of the region. In the cities of Cairo, Medina and Mecca, the sudden influx of gold devalued the metal for the next decade.This is the only time recorded in history that one man directly controlled the price of gold in the Mediterranean This historic journey was a good conflict on the empire of Mali.

THE MORE YOU KNOW Shocked
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2011 at 21:41
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2011 at 06:56
lol dude...this book is extremely racist in the purest definition of the word. Is the author an anthropolgist? The bottom of page 83 what is a "true negro"?? and the top of page 84 wont even get started on it (perfect unadulterated racism)...these terms are only socially created then accepted. Not all "negroes" have the same phenotype just like not all "caucasoids" have the same phenotype

Edited by Fula - 29-Dec-2011 at 07:06
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2011 at 21:30
The author died in 1929. She was a product of the racist colonialist world she was born into
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2011 at 21:47
Sure but there were many who opposed that racist view as well in those times....so i dont excuse it 
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2012 at 19:30
Fula, could you tell us more? I'd like to hear about other early African civilisations, especially those that practised the Abrahamic religions
Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 08:13
Well I know of the Fulani people in west Africa that were the first group of west africans who converted to Islam. They began a Fulani Empire called the Sokot Caliphate. Many Fulani went on jihads and slave raids to sell to Europeans and others.

Fula View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2012 at 08:21
Also The Almoravid Moorish Dynasty of Spain that originated in modern -day Senegal region. They were mainly Muslim but had a minority of Jews and Catholics within the region

Post Reply Post Reply