Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CV's homilies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CV's homilies
    Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 15:16
Don't have to say a damn thing this week.....this says it all.

62% of Men and 37% of Women Over the Age of 65 Are Sexually Active, Spanish Study Shows

Viva la EspañaLOL

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-Apr-2012 at 15:17
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 17:30
Oh-o, no wonder men over 55 look for younger wives. But then this is  tricky - if one gets a 20 years younger wife, will he be able  to go with all her needs until she hits 65 at least, or he is going to hope that she will be in the 63% on inactive after this age women?After all, the poor husband opf a 65 and active wife, if he is 85...the article doesn't say anything about men over 85.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by Don Quixote

Oh-o, no wonder men over 55 look for younger wives. But then this is  tricky - if one gets a 20 years younger wife, will he be able  to go with all her needs until she hits 65 at least, or he is going to hope that she will be in the 63% on inactive after this age women?After all, the poor husband opf a 65 and active wife, if he is 85...the article doesn't say anything about men over 85.

LOLLOLLOL
Well if he damn sure don't try, he is a damn fool.

S. T. Friedman

Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 18:30
Brave man, Centrix.
http://members.chello.nl/keuchenius/images/fknight4.jpg
Sylla1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sylla1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Don't have to say a damn thing this week.....this says it all.

62% of Men and 37% of Women Over the Age of 65 Are Sexually Active, Spanish Study Shows

Viva la EspañaLOL

And viva the US too; as quoted by the same Science Daily  article:
  Furthermore, new data backs up a survey carried out in the USA and published in New England Journal of Medicine in 2008, in which 73% of Americans between 57 and 64 years of age had sex. The number dropped to 53% for those aged between 65 and 75, and dropped to 26% for those aged 85.
The status of both the American and the Spanish elder men & women is presumably the rule, not the exception.

The quoted American report is A Study of Sexuality and Health among Older Adults in the United States  by ST Lindau, LP Schumm, et al, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 357; No. 8  pp. 762-774, August 23, 2007.
The Spanish report of Palacios-Ceña et al (2012) is referenced in the same SD article.

Edited by Sylla1 - 04-Apr-2012 at 18:49
Any history is as good as the evidence it is based on

There are no human races
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 18:46
A good percentage of men over 65 are doing well too, even those over 85 are not done, as as see. It's pity that the article doesn't say anything about the frequency.
There was this story about a Bulgarian guy who drank lots of tea made from thorn - Onopordum acanthium - and was so virile in his well over 80s, that a woman 20 years younger was very impressed and married him. Now, this sounds more impressive when one considers that the Bulgarian life expectancy is like 68, and a man over 80 is seen as a living corpse; when one is over 60, his life is considered done for all practical purposes.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2012 at 19:55
Easter is upon me for the fifthtee plus years (like a lady I am vain and do not reveal my age LOL).... very, very near six decades.
So:

Indeed. May the Master Architect of the Universe reveal His wisdom to you as you yourselves may need and desire and more importantly..... seek.Wink
May the clarion calls of the trumpets of the righteous in the east..... intermingle with the bugles of the west..may the Rangers in the north meet their brother Marines and Sailors, of the sea, in the south.. and see their brothers of the Air forces flying high above them in their endeavors...wherever eagles are needed.

And may the pennants snap in the breeze above your heads.... be they the red and white of the US Cavalry or other... for in the end; whether you hold the risen Christ as holy or other...and I do...my oath as a Black Knight requires me to commend you and yours... to His care and the the care of the angels who do His bidding.

I do it with gladness and appreciation.....and pray for peace among men and nations and fatih.

And remind you to....

Remember your Regiment.Big smile

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2012 at 16:21
So it begins:

A tale of the old days

As sung by the Bards of Hairston Downs

Chapter 1

He had come in the early morning spring light. Walking somewhat bent back and weary, across the bridge into Silverwater, through the last of the night's fog. No one recognized him. Except one. And by end of day, he had found shelter in a small shack next to the smelter of the village smithy. His only noticeable possessions appeared to be wrapped tightly in a long and narrow bundle of skins. Strapped high up on his back.

For several months, he worked the bellows and the young apprentice, Remick, oft remarked how tirelessly he could pump the same for old Ranulf the smith. He was lean and rugged and somewhat tall..not quite a yew bow length... with white in his shoulder length hair and at the temples and beard, all yet mixed with a brilliant bronze. His left eye was a flashing, sky blue. The other covered with a ragged patch speaking of a loss years before. His skin was pallid and whitish for many weeks. As if he had just emerged from some dark place. You really could not tell his age. But the matrons, in whispers and giggles, surmised he had long since seen fifty or more winters. And was probably no threat to their younger daughters. As the fire no doubt had gone out down below.

He said little, demanded nothing and went his own way. The village elders allowed him to join the wood cutters and so he made a few extra coins from his labors in the near forest. As spring gave way to summer, then the turning of the trees, a messenger came from the Baron. With panting breath, he spoke of the need for the younger men to gather arms and join their Lord to the northeast for the Orcs were once again sighted on the great bend east of the river.

For three days the forge rang with the sounds of hammer and anvil as Ranulf repaired much gear for the village contingent. The stranger, all the while, at his post on the bellows or cooling blades or stitching harness.

And so finally they were gathered and made their farewells to kith and kin. For a campaign might be long in the region they were bound. And yet they marched away with light and merry hearts knowing the generosity of their Lord. All that is except one. For in council the elders had decreed the stranger must fore go..for he had not been born of the village and that honor remained theirs.

He had remained silent at that pronouncement and had merely returned to his shack after the adjournment.

The next morn dawned bright with just the hint of frost. And two youngsters stole away for a bit of lark on the banks of the river near the old Temple bridge. The cock had only crowed once when, in the distance to the west, they spied a fearsome sight. They were lucky to have been crouched in the willows and so went unseen. For not a long bow shot away was a brutish figure armed and armored and sniffing the wind from the east.

Terrified, they crawled through the mud under the bridge and up. And tearing back into the village shouting of monsters in the west. Old Ranulf, just now at the forge, stepped back into the street to determine the trouble. Determined and willing to cuff or curse at the early unwelcome noise and it's source. Catching one by the scruff, he queried the lad and was satisfied with the honest fear he saw in the lad's eyes. Ordering the boy to find the village cleric and to gather the women and children for a march to the Temple he turned and returned to his door. Standing there was the stranger. "Do you still have it?" he asked. "Aye Captain" returned the good smith.

"Then let's make haste for the stench of orcs is in the west beyond the river. Appears they have fooled the Baron and have come from the Stone gorge as well.'' Bursting through the door came just then Remix. To report that the remaining villagers had gathered under the cleric and were making for the grove of the Old One and the stout temple walls. All except old granny Borina, whom some claimed was a witch, but was left alone as she was a great healer and midwife. And who had merely laughed and stated it was not yet time. Orc or no Orc.

He was silenced when he saw the stranger strip off the old ragged homespun shirt. Silenced as he saw the man's back and the long and numerous scars that blazoned it. But the boy was destined to see even greater things on that day then scars.

Remick watched as old Ranulf brought forth a large bundle from up high on the metal rack. And in amazement, continued to watch as the old man drew forth such armor as he had never seen before. Not your gilded and fancy stuff, even though the old smith could make it. No, this was heavy and a dull black. But solid as well. A fighting man's armor. By the beard of the Ancient One, this must be the fabled ebony of old legends he thought. A front and back piece, greaves, gauntlets and boots. All now worn over a clean white linen shirt and dark brown leathers. "a little tight'' muttered the stranger..but we have no time."

''The rest?" spoke the warrior. " Fraid not my Lord..the Captain will recall... that was lost in the Spine of the Dragon'' the smith enjoined. "Ah yes so it was....been a long time.... but I recall twas the cauldron..yes I recall" answered the stranger.

''Be a good lad Remick and fetch me my parcel....and then you and Ranulf be down the road..time is short.''

The lad was barely able to carry it back, for by the dawn, it was heavy. But he managed.

"No good byes old friend... go now with the lad... be well and live to see the dryad Queen return..for today it seems is the day" spake the stranger. "Aye Captain as you command...fight well my Lord," came the answer from Ranulf. The boy noticing a choking gruffness in the old smith's voice. "Come then boy..we must be away." And so they were gone.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2012 at 17:02
Apologies are a sign of weakness or re numeration due according to an individual interpretation.
Worse yet.... they generally are a much later attempt at civil recognition of wrongs as interpreted by a developing moral code.... not necessarily due at the time or context.

I'm due many...expect none... nor will render any.

period.

Remember that kiddies...... when you believe you have suffered an injustice.Wink

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 15-Apr-2012 at 17:02

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2012 at 06:17
Life is to gawdamn short to not want to get drunk..raise hell..talk politics...argue..piss and moan...rant and rave.... and carry on like a complete ass sometimes. All the crap Mom warned ya not to do. But hell kiddies.... you were ultimately on your goddamn own the second ya shot out of Mom anyway.

And when ya slip into the earth for the long sleep or your bones bleach on the desert floor or some gawd forsaken ridge line.... before whatever comes next. Y'all be on your goddamn own then too.

So get hard and get hard fast...you will know when it's time to be other.Wink

S. T. Friedman

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2012 at 06:51
Seriously, CV, you should write a book. Fiction or Non-Fiction using the style of writing as above.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2012 at 02:21
The only saving grace for the nature of a man is a woman.....because they realise how stupid and destructive we might be. Even when we don't want to. Which is why I could never figure out why they thought they could do without us..... and replace us with feminism bullshit. Their smarter then that... if for no other reason then they temper our weakness into immeasurable strength.

They give us a reason for honor. And receive glory in return, if not from men, then their Maker.

And in my case thank my Mother.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 10-Jul-2012 at 02:23

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2012 at 02:24
Originally posted by Don Quixote

Brave man, Centrix.
http://members.chello.nl/keuchenius/images/fknight4.jpg

Yup well that's not just me but the warrior I will return to in Chapter two shortly.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2012 at 21:31
Historians are a lot like whores and lawyers; tho lawyers are worse....in the end, it boils down to who.. gets what... he's peddling sold to the consumer.
consequently remember to be objective about the product....
And I'll paraphrase one of my old instructors from the Un. Of Louisville when I say.....'testing and challenging in an objective fashion makes average historians good and good ones better'.

Cuz if ya ain't here to learn and communicate history. Civilly and objectively. But merely to attempt feigned intellectual acumen and an ego shot...then Pm me...I will tell ya where there are forums that like that crap.Wink

Because in the end those types dont last long here....cuz I make it my personal mission to ensure it.

LOL

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 15:33
To admire and acknowledge and opine on great works, skills and accomplishments of historical figures, places and events is the domain of the 'actual' scholar. But to idolize and glamourize the same... to the point that revisionism and opposition to counter commentary is then standard fare is bull shit. And the domain for the 'feigned' intellectualist who has merely read a few books and now wishes to become a peer.

Tricky business that peer stuff...because one wont get it until one earns it.Wink

And ya damn sure don't get it simple because ya think ya being noticed on a history blog. It's like judging livestock in many ways....don't attempt it unless ya know what you are doing.

Also sprach Centrix Vigilis

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2012 at 19:29
Bell's rung.... class now in session.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2013 at 13:50

Thank yer mothers ya godless heathen bastards..she...like mine... brought you into this world. What ya do with it is your gawdamn problem.

Sixty plus today...hahha. Hail Mother Mary full of grace....hail and thanks to my patron of the day.... Saint James.

Y'all fell a little short but my mom still watches for me.

Damn.

Thanks Mom I still miss ya.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2013 at 01:49
piss into a headwind...see what happens. only the yotes and yer ma will still love ya.

Amen.

hq's I/f

VAMC Ttemple, TX.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2013 at 20:33

A lovely homily if ever I read one.

Edgar Allan Poe "Eldorado" (1849):

"Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old--
This knight so bold--
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow--
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be--
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride."
The shade replied,--
"If you seek for Eldorado."

S. T. Friedman

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2013 at 13:30
Looking forward to reading many more of these, CV
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>